X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by transwarp View Post
    Unfortunately, Pidgin doesn't have Jingle support in Windows, and won't until 2.7, AFAIK.
    Then I will just use the Google Talk app under XP.

Leave a comment:

• transwarp
    replied
    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Gtalk would be preferred as:
    I will be using Pidgin under XP, Kopete (if I get it to work with Google Talk) under Kubuntu and Empathy on a computer I share with a friend of mine because it runs Fedora 12 for which empathy is the default client.
    Unfortunately, Pidgin doesn't have Jingle support in Windows, and won't until 2.7, AFAIK.
    The only Windows client I know that you can download and will "just work" with Jingle is Psi. Gajim still doesn't seem to have it enabled in the releases.
    Psi sometimes has issues with receiving calls from Pidgin and Empathy because apparently they don't follow the spec quite right, but those are apparently fixed for the next release, targeted at March 1.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by transwarp View Post
    I'd point out that you aren't limited to GTalk accounts, or using Empathy on Linux.
    Gtalk would be preferred as:
    1. Google servers are powerful and don't suffer from downtime. Communication is from within the Netherlands to Australia.
    2. Everybody I know has a GMail account and Gmail can be used for VOIP over Jingle too.
    3. Convincing people to use Google wouldn't be a problem. Google = large trusted company = good :')

I will be using Pidgin under XP, Kopete (if I get it to work with Google Talk) under Kubuntu and Empathy on a computer I share with a friend of mine because it runs Fedora 12 for which empathy is the default client.
    Last edited by V!NCENT; 23 January 2010, 05:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• transwarp
    replied
    Thanks! Google Talk uses the Jingle protocol, which is an open VOIP extension to the XMPP (Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol) open protocol.

Among clients that support the Jingle protocol is Empathy, yes. However Google Talk is not fully compatible with the spec, so it isn't compatible with all clients.

In order for Empathy to wok with Google Talk one needs to have a Google Talk account (Gtalk) and specify the following:
    Server: talk.google.com
    Port: 5223
    And have the "Use old SSL" option checked.
    I'd point out that you aren't limited to GTalk accounts, or using Empathy on Linux.

You can use Jingle with any Jabber account, including ones from Jabber.org, Livejournal chat, or, yes, GTalk. Facebook Chat is eventually supposed to use jabber too.
    Since the jabber servers talk to each other, you'd just add yourfriend @ gmail.com or [email protected] to your friend list. Jabber IDs look just like email addresses.

Other Jingle-compatible clients include Gajim and Psi (which work on Windows as well as Linux). Gajim has a video button, but I haven't tried using it.
    Kopete (KDE) also claims to have Jingle support, but I've never gotten it working.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Can Empathy communicate with Google Talk? If so, that would be a good solution for these platforms.
    Thanks! Google Talk uses the Jingle protocol, which is an open VOIP extension to the XMPP (Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol) open protocol.

Among clients that support the Jingle protocol is Empathy, yes. However Google Talk is not fully compatible with the spec, so it isn't compatible with all clients.

In order for Empathy to wok with Google Talk one needs to have a Google Talk account (Gtalk) and specify the following:
    Server: talk.google.com
    Port: 5223
    And have the "Use old SSL" option checked.

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    Can Empathy communicate with Google Talk? If so, that would be a good solution for these platforms.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    You mean: if only other people used those viable alternatives
    You mean: Skype doesn't work on any platform anymore because the Skype servers are a complete dissaster so my entire family asked me if there was one we could switch to.

Does anyone know a user-friendly FLOSS app that works under Linux, Windows XP, Vista and 7? I would switch to it, ASAP...

Leave a comment:

• Yfrwlf
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    I'm now able to do audio chats via Pidgin, but have yet to try video and have not tried Empathy again in a while. Of course, AFAIK this is all still only with Jabber/XMPP/Gtalk, but who cares about the closed protocols. Yeah yeah many use them still, as do I, but all this work is an enabler so that those proprietary controlled (and thus often broken) protocols/networks can be moved away from. Just a matter of getting friends to switch!

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    It does, but it's still an ugly POS. If only there was a viable alternative...

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    The question remains; does it now actually fsking work under Linux?
    It does, but it's still an ugly POS. If only there was a viable alternative...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X