Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skype 2.1 Beta 2 Delivers Linux Screen Sharing

Phoronix: Skype 2.1 Beta 2 Delivers Linux Screen Sharing

Back in August we covered the Skype 2.1 beta that was released and brought new features like SILK audio codec support, PulseAudio compatibility, SMS sending support, chat messaging editing/removing capabilities, contact groups support, typing notification in chat, chat picture support, and mood messages. Skype 2.1 Beta 2 has finally been released and it brings even more features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone know if you can only use pulseaudio with this version? (the previous beta seemed to be just pulse audio which really seems to lag on my system)

Comment

screen sharing? wow im impressed if it actually works!

Comment

I really don't get why skype is unable to fix the control file to provide a 64 bit lenny deb. That's something that i can do within 5 minutes (when i reuse my older patch).

Comment

@Craig73
          There is no PulseAudio-only version of Skype. Skype shows other sound options only if PA is not installed. I removed PA from my Ubuntu and Skype 2.1 works OK with ALSA.

Comment

Thanks. Wouldn't have know bar seeing this in my RSS aggregator.

Comment

The question remains; does it now actually fsking work under Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                The question remains; does it now actually fsking work under Linux?
                It does, but it's still an ugly POS. If only there was a viable alternative...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  It does, but it's still an ugly POS. If only there was a viable alternative...
                  You mean: if only other people used those viable alternatives

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    You mean: if only other people used those viable alternatives
                    I'm now able to do audio chats via Pidgin, but have yet to try video and have not tried Empathy again in a while. Of course, AFAIK this is all still only with Jabber/XMPP/Gtalk, but who cares about the closed protocols. Yeah yeah many use them still, as do I, but all this work is an enabler so that those proprietary controlled (and thus often broken) protocols/networks can be moved away from. Just a matter of getting friends to switch!

Comment

Working...
                    X