X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dust
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    @Hoodlum: PC games run on PC monitors, not TVs. The Steam hardware survey confirms this - just look at how few people use Steam on typical TV resolutions.
    wrong! if you can run a game on 16:9 1920*1080 than you have no problem if you have a graphic card and tv with hdmi or dvi.

december 2009

1920 x 1080
    (+1.19%) 6.86%
    1920 x 1200
    (+0.38%) 5.95%

is 1920*1080 a monitor or a tv, you can not figure this out with these stats. it is also fun to use a beamer for playing, 4m in diagonal...

btw. you can also use a tv instead of a monitor for desktop. looks cool with 40" 1m in front of you. i saw this at a friend and my impression was just, wow. lol

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    Originally posted by Kano View Post
    Only if you are blind. As 1024x768 has to be interpolated on 1280x1024 it looks ugly in any case. 720p would not need to be interpolated if you need to reduce the res because your gfx card is too slow. Just more black The same ppl who use 1024x768 on a 1280x1024 5:4 tft most likely used 1280x1024 (instead of 1280x960) on a 4:3 crt.
    Any CRT that supports 1280x1024 also supports 1360x1024 and possibly 1400x1050, which are better choices all around.

If you know Mirror's Edge: it has got black boarders on 16:10 tft because it only works with 16:9 modes.
    And you think that's a good thing? Sorry, but that would be reason enough for me to not buy the game for the PC.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    And yes, 4:3 fits much better on a 5:4 monitor than 16:9.
    Only if you are blind. As 1024x768 has to be interpolated on 1280x1024 it looks ugly in any case. 720p would not need to be interpolated if you need to reduce the res because your gfx card is too slow. Just more black The same ppl who use 1024x768 on a 1280x1024 5:4 tft most likely used 1280x1024 (instead of 1280x960) on a 4:3 crt.

If you know Mirror's Edge: it has got black boarders on 16:10 tft because it only works with 16:9 modes.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
    @Everyone
    Did mr. Torvalds give up KDE for GNOME when KDE 4 was released? As ever improvements bring bugs.
    It's not surprising, because it wasn't stable KDE 4, but rather KDE 4.0.

As for console games - is nexuiz available on any console? Or even alien arena? if so lets see who has the best equipment me and my 5 year old 'PC' with razer mouse or someone with a ps3 and a six-axis controller. I bet it'll be less than 5 mins before he/she says i'm cheating and reaches for the mw2 disc.
    Well said.

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    No, PC monitors do what the driver says. I know for sure that all major vendors like AMD,INTEL,NVIDIA have got options for aspect ratio scaling (for dvi/hdmi connectors), that means even if you select those as res it will not be fullscreen scaled. 1024x768 is wrong aspect for 5:4 (1280x1024) - well many are unable to calculate the differnce to 4:3 res like you. Most common usage are not games, but videos like youtube or other rips.
    What does youtube and video rips have to do with PC gaming again? That's right, nothing.

And yes, 4:3 fits much better on a 5:4 monitor than 16:9.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    No, PC monitors do what the driver says. I know for sure that all major vendors like AMD,INTEL,NVIDIA have got options for aspect ratio scaling (for dvi/hdmi connectors), that means even if you select those as res it will not be fullscreen scaled. 1024x768 is wrong aspect for 5:4 (1280x1024) - well many are unable to calculate the differnce to 4:3 res like you. Most common usage are not games, but videos like youtube or other rips.

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    @BlackStar

As 720p is 1280x720 no scaling is needed on a 1280x1024 display, just 304 black lines extra Also there are many laptops out there with 1280x800 or 1280x768 res, so that's more common than you might think.
    Than I think? Check the Steam hardware survey, which shows what resolutions gamers tend to use.

720p on a 1280x1024 PC monitor - sorry, that doesn't happen in practice. It simply doesn't happen. Why? Two reasons:
    (a) PC monitors automatically scale to fill the panel (1:1 monitors are rare, especially in the common 4:3, 19'' 1280x1024 non-HD offerings).
    (b) PC gamers will prefer to use 1024x768 (correct aspect ratio & full-screen) instead of 1280x720 (incorrect aspect ratio *or* black bars) on a 1280x1024 monitor. Think about it.

Again, the 720p resolution is completely irrelevant in PC gaming. PC gamers simply don't use that resolution.

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    @BlackStar

As 720p is 1280x720 no scaling is needed on a 1280x1024 display, just 304 black lines extra Also there are many laptops out there with 1280x800 or 1280x768 res, so that's more common than you might think.

Leave a comment:

• D0pamine
    replied
    @Everyone
    Did mr. Torvalds give up KDE for GNOME when KDE 4 was released? As ever improvements bring bugs.

As for console games - is nexuiz available on any console? Or even alien arena? if so lets see who has the best equipment me and my 5 year old 'PC' with razer mouse or someone with a ps3 and a six-axis controller. I bet it'll be less than 5 mins before he/she says i'm cheating and reaches for the mw2 disc.

EDIT: Oh yeh its GNU/Linux

Leave a comment:

• Hoodlum
    replied
    @Hoodlum: PC games run on PC monitors, not TVs.
    Never said otherwise, cheap attempt at implying I did.

The Steam hardware survey confirms this - just look at how few people use Steam on typical TV resolutions.
    And at laptop resolutions. Cheap leaving that bit out, don't degrade yourself

Apple certainly provides 17'' Macbook Pros, which have more powerful components and better screen resolutions than their smaller counterparts. I know a couple of people who bought such machines recently and when I asked them why they specifically mentioned they wanted them as "desktop replacements".
    That's nice. I knew someone called Wallace who went to the moon with his friend Gromit, it was made of cheese, apparently. (For the uninitiated i'm pointing out how insubstantial what he's saying is).

Finally, most laptops are still 1280x800 (16:10).
    And almost no one uses 1280x800 according to the steam hardware survey. Can't be a market that matters much for gaming then. This further backs up my earlier assertion that the majority are desktops which you attempted to dispute.

This ugly 1366x768 (16:9) trend is about one year old and is especially prevalent on netbooks
    Would you be one of those people that said "I do dislike this trend toward colour, people look so awfully guady on a colour screen."? Cheer up

Btw: A good 90% of the Dell / HP laptops on their site are using 16:9 which isn't true of netbooks (example: only one of the HP ones is, the biggest manufacturer in the world.) Far from 90%+ of the netbooks on their site, like with laptops (yes, I checked ).

(16:9 laptops used to be very uncommon before 2009).
    Video games were uncommon before computers, too. (Pointing out the irrelvence of his comment, we're not talking about the past)

If it swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, what animal is it?
    Which is why dell has the 15" Alienware down as a desktop replacement.

Because it is one. Desktop replacement = desktop replacement. So you are seriously trying to claim Alienware laptops are not desktop replacements? Please get a grip of reality.

So with all these companies like Dell and Apple lying about what a desktop replacement is you could sue them for false advertising, right? Oh yeah...desktop replacement means desktop replacement to logical entities.

A great man once said You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not entitled to your own facts. This applies to you, here.

Most laptops work best on flat, hard surfaces. My D830 (Dell), 6530b (HP) and my older Fujitsu all mention this explicitly and warn against laying the machine on your lap for extended periods of time, so Apple is far from unique in that regard.
    "If it swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, what animal is it?" - your own words, quite apt here.

So basically I've systematically proved everything you have said to be false. I'm bored of your trolling now, no challenge. Enjoy trolling the rest of the thread
    Last edited by Hoodlum; 06 January 2010, 02:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X