Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Software Compilation 4.4 Beta 2 Released

Phoronix: KDE Software Compilation 4.4 Beta 2 Released

In just a bit over a month should be the release of KDE 4.4, or more properly known now as KDE Software Compilation 4.4. A month and a half ago was the first beta release, but now KDE Software Compilation 4.4 Beta 2 is ready and has been released to the public this morning. The second beta to this desktop environment brings improvements to the Nepomuk semantic search, Plasma desktop, new desktop applications, and much more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

kde 4.4 with qt 4.6 is just...marvelous! In absolute the best DE in the world.

Comment

Awesome

Damn, just as my laptop I use for testing various stuff died. I guess i'll just install this onto my production laptop. Even beta 1 worked very well so this one should be more than enough stable for me to use and help with the last of bug reports to help polish it up.

Comment

It should be named IDE. Impressive Desktop Environment.
        Thanks a ton to all the developers.

Comment

4.4 Is the real deal! Just awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Tsiolkovsky View Post
            Damn, just as my laptop I use for testing various stuff died. I guess i'll just install this onto my production laptop. Even beta 1 worked very well so this one should be more than enough stable for me to use and help with the last of bug reports to help polish it up.
            It should be stable enough for you. I have been using Beta 1 since it was released, and haven't had any major problems. I expect beta 2 to be equally impressive.

Comment

Well, Beta 1 had some problems with desktop effects and notifications but those should be fixed now.

KDE SC 4.4 is proper serious business, and I can't imagine what I say to KDE SC 4.5 when I see it's new OpenGL2/3-KWin stuff

Comment

I like the option dialog where you can command KDE to adjust to CPU power and resolution.

What I absolutely do not like is that they fscked up enormously with the settings. It's like Windows! All options are now scattered all over the place!

But it doesn't stop there... The kicker menu size can no longer be horizontaly and vertically independant up- and downscaled! This sucks... This sucks enormously... But I hope KDE Raptor will finally see the light of day when KDE SC 4.5 hits the block. When KDE 4.3 was released they had almost finnished the forntend. The backend wasn't even started yet, alltough a Raptor dev told me the frontend was the heavy lifting and the backend was a lot less work. I assume they will use Nepomuk and Akanadi as backends...

I do like the netbook Plasma preview. Very nicely done.

Performance improvements are also awesome!

The design consistency with the KDE4 releases so far were pretty good: It's kind of a modular thing; you have a widget desktop design and a different GUI application windows design. Now that's all fscked up too!

GTK -> QT4 is also totally not consistent in design...

God... This might be a very sucking release!
                Last edited by V!NCENT; 21 December 2009, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  I can't imagine what I say to KDE SC 4.5 when I see it's new OpenGL2/3-KWin stuff
                  Probably,
                  "It only works right with blobs...."

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Probably,
                    "It only works right with blobs...."
                    Yup, even Linux isn't perfect...

Comment

Working...
                    X