KDE Software Compilation 4.4 Beta 2 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Koffice doesn't even want to support Microsoft Office files. I wouldn't count on it...
    Nokia does:

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      Koffice doesn't even want to support Microsoft Office files. I wouldn't count on it...
      Is that right? The first time I heard of Koffice was when I was looking for a lighter than OO office application. I only need it for when people send me documents in .doc, .ppt or whatever it is MS Office uses now, so I didn't want the full OO beast. Obviously Koffice was useless for me, but I thought it was just that the compatibility plugins were not done yet--as opposed to a matter of policy.

EDIT: Ah! Just read Panda84's post. Don't you love it when somebody get the priorities straight? : )
      Last edited by yotambien; 22 December 2009, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I thought Qyoto was dead, good to see it alive and in active development!

While I don't really like the fact that it uses a native layer, I don't think it's possible to wrap Qt otherwise...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          KDE and Gnome are pretty similar to each other, with the differences being mostly cosmetic. (Oops, now I've done it. Preemptive agreement: yes, Qt is like 100m times better than GTK, and no there's no comparison between KDESC's media player - I forget its name - and Rythmbox/Banshee and yes Gnome is infected with the Mono crap and we shouldn't use it ).
          Mostly cosmetic differences? Like I said - a Stockholm syndrome or fanboyism. You're attitude is being more trollish since every post.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            Mostly cosmetic differences?
            Yes, but I won't try to argue the point. I've already agreed that Qt/KDE/KFoo applications are superior to GTK/Gnome/GBar offerings and nothing you can say can make me change my mind.

Comment

Yes, but I won't try to argue the point.
              Good, because it's very easy to point many differences which aren't cosmetic.

Comment

I've upgraded today KDE SC 4.3.4 + QT 4.5.2 to 4.4 Beta 2 + QT 4.6.0 on my laptop at work and it's stability looks like 4.3.4. First impression is as it's a bit more responsive than 4.3.x. No desktop effects problems as some people said about Beta 1.

Comment

Anyone knows whether Kubuntu 10.04 will ship with KDESC 4.4?

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  Good, because it's very easy to point many differences which aren't cosmetic.
                  You win.

Comment

Anyone knows whether Kubuntu 10.04 will ship with KDESC 4.4?
                    They have no choice

It will:

and

The first beta of KDE SC 4.4 has packages available in our Beta PPA. Users of our latest development release, Lucid, can upgrade to the latest packages.
                    So it's already shipping it.
                    Last edited by kraftman; 22 December 2009, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Honestly, I don't think there's any compelling reason to switch from the DE you are most familiar with right now (Gnome to KDE or vice versa). Functionality-wise, KDE and Gnome are pretty similar to each other, with the differences being mostly cosmetic. (Oops, now I've done it. Preemptive agreement: yes, Qt is like 100m times better than GTK, and no there's no comparison between KDESC's media player - I forget its name - and Rythmbox/Banshee and yes Gnome is infected with the Mono crap and we shouldn't use it ).
                      That's what I thought as well and used Gnome straight from 1999, but as curious by nature I decided to give KDE a try. The result? KDE is ahead in functionality and beauty from Gnome/OSX and windows7 and even much faster that the rest. But still Gnome is my first love, so I'll wait till 3.0 is out and then I'll give it a try. My major concern though, as a performance junkie, is the mono slowdown. I can not stand slowdowns at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X