Nautilus Begins To Change For GNOME 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Anyone knows why nautilus is so slow at listing file in folders?
    And when creating a new folder it takes like a second or two.. wtf.. no other file manager is so slow
    ^ yes, this would be 8 on my list. Write to the mailinglists, since you're not alone . Sometimes it takes 4 or 5 times for nautilus to respond to shift+delete.

Comment

I could be wrong, but I think that's because it waits for the disk action to be complete before updating, as opposed to showing the folders/etc first and updating in the background. It does make it feel sluggish though.

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
        I could be wrong, but I think that's because it waits for the disk action to be complete before updating, as opposed to showing the folders/etc first and updating in the background. It does make it feel sluggish though.
        Creating a folder only takes 0.03 seconds (on my computer), so "waiting for the disk action" is not the reason, or, if it is then nautilus has a very very bad/slow implementation of the "waiting for the disk action".

Preemptive response: And no, the time to update the GUI/Gtk+ interface doesn't count either, cause also happens very fast.

Comment

I'll be interested to see what they do with nautilus, always my favourite filebrowser (in browser mode), dolphin still isn't quite there in some ways for me, close but not quite. Will be nice to have some competition with clutter/mutter and Gnome shell too. I'm largely suspecting gnome shell will be just basic technical & conceptual ui changes on release lacking the niceties and tweaks one might expect. That might disappoint a lot of people but having gone through kde process 4.0-4.3 (world more painful) I think it'll be interesting to see where it goes over the next 12-18 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoodlum View Post
            I'll be interested to see what they do with nautilus, always my favourite filebrowser (in browser mode), dolphin still isn't quite there in some ways for me, close but not quite. Will be nice to have some competition with clutter/mutter and Gnome shell too. I'm largely suspecting gnome shell will be just basic technical & conceptual ui changes on release lacking the niceties and tweaks one might expect. That might disappoint a lot of people but having gone through kde process 4.0-4.3 (world more painful) I think it'll be interesting to see where it goes over the next 12-18 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
              Didn't you just post the same type of comment about Ubuntu? Why so negative? Have a coke and a
              Check a few of the other Ubuntu- and Gnome-related threads on the forums and you'll see what I mean. This is maybe the first such thread that's made it to the second page without flames from the "other" side.

I don't know whether to take that second comment as sarcasm or honest criticism. You confused me, and I don't like it.
              Nope, that's honest criticism. Most major distros other than Fedora ship with browser mode enable, so I believe it makes sense to change the default setting to that.

Comment

would it be possible to get rid of empathy and evolution?
                empathy doesnt have quite the features as pidgin (although pidgin missed several incoming messages...)
                and evolution... well i dont use mailing programs, therefore i dont need it, but i cant delete it without cutting down half of gnome along with it.
                also when i used gentoo (and i probably will again) evolution updates took up to ca. 2 hours! for a program i wont use!
                same goes for bluetooth... (maybe it changed, but whats the big idea of bringing in such dependencies anyway...)

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
                  would it be possible to get rid of empathy and evolution?
                  empathy doesnt have quite the features as pidgin (although pidgin missed several incoming messages...)
                  and evolution... well i dont use mailing programs, therefore i dont need it, but i cant delete it without cutting down half of gnome along with it.
                  also when i used gentoo (and i probably will again) evolution updates took up to ca. 2 hours! for a program i wont use!
                  same goes for bluetooth... (maybe it changed, but whats the big idea of bringing in such dependencies anyway...)
                  Most package managers should be able to do that. For example, on Arch you can opt to not even install Evolution in the first place (but install the rest of the desktop).

Comment

Hurray! After so many years... Now I'm waiting for change KDE default one mouse click behaviour

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                      Creating a folder only takes 0.03 seconds (on my computer), so "waiting for the disk action" is not the reason, or, if it is then nautilus has a very very bad/slow implementation of the "waiting for the disk action".

Preemptive response: And no, the time to update the GUI/Gtk+ interface doesn't count either, cause also happens very fast.

Maybe your distro sucks?

When I go and open something that contains a lot of files like /lib/ or something my nautilus displays everything as soon as the window opens up, which is pretty much immediately.

Comment

Working...
                      X