Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moonlight, Microsoft Patent Covenant Updates

Phoronix: Moonlight, Microsoft Patent Covenant Updates

Just two days after Mono 2.6 was rolled out, which has been widely discussed within our forums, Miguel de Icaza has a few more Microsoft / Mono related announcements. Miguel this morning has announced that Moonlight 2.0 is complete, there is a new collaboration agreement between Microsoft and Novell to bring the Silverlight 3.0 and 4.0 feature sets to Moonlight, and Microsoft has updated its patent covenant that concerns Moonlight's distribution abilities. Moonlight 2.0 has been in beta for a few months and it implements most of Microsoft's Silverlight 2.0 functionality along with some early 3.0 features with regards to the pluggable pipeline, easing animation functions, partial out-of-browser support, writable bitmaps, and new data-binding features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You see guys? What did I say in my last post?

Comment

Notably missing from that is Netflix. I wonder if this increased collaboration will include Netflix and the advanced media streaming required to support it, or if that is still off the table. I want to switch to use boxee with linux not windows.

Comment

@bulletxt
        MS knows that Mono will never going to compete really with moonlight and ofcourse will never produce innovation, so it's the best solution for them to play the good guy while benefit themselves and against FOSS.
        It is not collaboration at all but a different and tricky form of control and leadership.
        Last edited by Apopas; 17 December 2009, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
          @bulletxt
          MS knows that Mono will never going to compete really with moonlight and ofcourse will never produce innovation, so it's the best solution for them to play the good guy while benefit themselves and against FOSS.
          It is not collaboration at all but a different and tricky form of control and leadership.
          Same goes for AMD, INTEL and all the rest. And even Red Hat. They all do something to get money back. Where do you live? Do you belong to this universe? Wake up and smell the coffee my friend.

Comment

RedHat lives from Opensource and wants Linux to compete with any other OS and innovate rather than follow other's innovations while AMD and Intel cares for their hardware to work properly under Linux and for that they opened their drivers and specs to the community. Where do you see leadrship, control and hindering of innovation here? What does that have to do with microsoft? The first companies benefit from Linux while MS does not. Totally different goals via totally different ways.
            Last edited by Apopas; 17 December 2009, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Ok, then I pray god your favourite website converts to silverlight and Microsoft wouldn't allow the existant of mono. Are you happy now? I am.
              I'm tired of bullshit.

Comment

Fortunately though, there is no god...

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                  Same goes for AMD, INTEL and all the rest. And even Red Hat. They all do something to get money back. Where do you live? Do you belong to this universe? Wake up and smell the coffee my friend.
                  The difference is AMD, INTEL and Red Hat ARE Linux friendly, MS is not! I agree to what Apopas said. Except the part about God...

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    I agree to what Apopas said. Except the part about God...
                    hehe pity

Comment

Working...
                    X