Mono 2.6 Released, Supports LLVM Generation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silverthorn View Post
    Good points though you're wrong about programs written in c++ leaks memory. You don't need to use dynamic memory yourself if you use standard libs. Then it's virtually impossible to create code that leaks memory. You could still use pointers and references without the use of dynamic memory.
    Yeah, it's impossible, ask Mozilla! No seriously, how do you think they stopped their memory leaks? By implementing a garbage collector and memory compactor. Which you get out of the box with Python, Java or .Net.

Not to mention that an aggressive GC like that in .Net is much, *much* faster than the default memory allocators in C++. The only way to match the performance of such a GC is to use memory pools, which require some very nasty hacks to implement (check here if you are interested).

Comment

Java model: runtime and standard libraries for both desktop and Enterprise (Java EE), alongside 3rd party open components, app servers, IDEs, ... are created in parallel for all major platforms and released simultaneously, tested for compatibility.
      .Net Model: Standard set of libraries most people use is defined by Microsoft and works exclusively on their platform. Linux/Mac users will NEVER be able to have quite compatible set of libs. Some of reasons are related to codecs and patents and other reasons are simply delay between MS development and Mono.
      In this situation I cannot care less for operator-overloading (removed from Java for good reason), unsafe mode (which is mostly used as WIN32 API mode, making lots of applications instantly non-portable) or whatever other dubious "advantages" over Java.

Comment

@BlackStar

Αραίωνε την προπαγάνδα με το .net πατριώτη. Σε πήρανε χαμπάρι!
        Last edited by zoomblab; 16 December 2009, 04:15 PM.

Comment

@zoomblab

lol

Comment

I dunno. Till now I had no idea about mono, c# and such. But these two days I keep reading articles over articles and posts over posts. Here, in Planet Gnome, in Icaza's blog etc etc. As far as I understand c# is superiour in some things over java and can be used for cross platform apps. But I understand as well that mono has a ot of limitations because of software patents mainly and Linux with it is gonna be always some steps behind windows, with lesser oportunities for innovation, if not at all. The matter is what do we want? Linux to follow or to lead? To use the just technically better things or the truly free ones while trying to make them superiour? If the first is the answer then we should have stayed with bitkeeper for kernel revision control.
            I'm not sure yet, but everyone has failed to enlight me about the not technical goodies that mono and c# can offer to Linux and FOSS in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
              As far as I understand c# is superiour in some things over java and can be used for cross platform apps.
              Platform wise, jvm is a far more robust foundation, especially when discussing about binary portability. Aside from that, the amount of open source enterprise libraries for the jvm is unmatched compared to that of .net/mono.

Language wise, opinions are largely subjective. Mine is that as C# has striven to add more and more syntactic sugar with each new version, it has become overly bloated, thus less interesting.

Finally specifications for C#/.net are driven by a single company, while for Java/JVM by an open organization.
              Last edited by zoomblab; 16 December 2009, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
                Finally specifications for C#/.net are driven by a single company, while for Java/JVM by an open organization.
                That's the most important so why we can't live without it?

Comment

That's the most important so why we can't live without it?
                  Nobody says you have to use it. You do have the freedom of choice. Diversity in cases like this is a good thing from a developers POV. When I code I'm going to use what I'm most comfortable with and what I like. If someone doesn't like it they are free to look else where. If an application is not in your environment of choice then you are free to develop what ever you want with your own preference. I don't like doing php for example but I'm not going to tell Michael to scrap php for my choice of language. I'm not a fan of GTK+ but I'm not going to try to dictate Michael switches to QT. If political reasons are behind your like or dislike then feel free to choose your preference but just don't expect your preference to be the preference of everybody else.

Comment

@deanjo
                    Thanks for poiniting the obvious...
                    I'm not asking why some individuals may choose c# and mono. That's their problem ofcourse. Even a donkey is able to understand that. I'm asking why the development of Gnome (which is community project) turns it's attention and base of technology towards mono and c#. In other words, why Gnome can't live without it which means why we (as a community) can't live without it?

Comment

@deanjo
                      Thanks for poiniting the obvious...
                      I'm not asking why some individuals may choose c# and mono. That's their problem ofcourse. Even a donkey is able to understand that. I'm asking why the development of Gnome (which is community project) turns it's attention and base of technology towards mono and c#. In other words, why Gnome can't live without it which means why we (as a community) can't live without it?
                      Quite obviously the developers are using it because they like what they see and they are comfortable with it. Since you are not the developer of said applications but a end user that has no or little contribution to the project what you care about (again for political reasons) then your voice has little to no weight in feedback. You may feel that your being wronged but that is how the world turns.

Comment

Working...
                      X