Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0 Released, Finally

Phoronix: Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0 Released, Finally

At long last, Mozilla Thunderbird 3.0 has been officially released. Thunderbird 2.0 was released about two and a half years ago (April 2007) and while Mozilla Firefox has sped along with a number of releases in the 3.x series, Thunderbird has not...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it me, or does Mozilla treat Thunderbird as an afterthought? I mean the update from 2.0 to 3.0 took what, two-and-a-half years?

Bah, I've changed to evolution since then, but the tabbed interface looks interesting. I might have to give this a go.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      Is it me, or does Mozilla treat Thunderbird as an afterthought? I mean the update from 2.0 to 3.0 took what, two-and-a-half years?

Bah, I've changed to evolution since then, but the tabbed interface looks interesting. I might have to give this a go.
      Most developers worked on Firefox after Thunderbird 2.0 was released. But since earlier this year, they have accelerated the development of Thunderbird again and already plan to release 3.1 in the not too distant future.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        Most developers worked on Firefox after Thunderbird 2.0 was released. But since earlier this year, they have accelerated the development of Thunderbird again and already plan to release 3.1 in the not too distant future.
        Good to hear. Hope it doesn't take another 2 years for a refresh (we want shiny new features, dammit!)

Comment

I gave up on e-mail clients a long time ago.

IMO, Thunderbird 3 should be what Raindrop wants to be =)

Comment

What's in the name? Thunderbird 2 series was already quite polished piece of software and at the same time we're talking about very mature technology. You could argue that development of Gecko mandated the parallel development of FF & TB series 1 and 2, however, I think that web browser is more of a challenge than an e-mail client. I've installed TB 3 and consider it nothing more than an light evolution step. And as far as I'm concerned, it's a positive thing.

Comment

PPA?

If Ubuntu's Gods don't give us TB3 through normal 9.10 package updates, & I think they normally don't until the next release, can I get it through a PPA or something that doesn't involve manually installing it? I try to stick to apt.

Comment

There's this, but.. daily builds =/

and it will probably pull firefox packages along.

Comment

Nuts, I wanted to avoid problems. Unless there's a reasonably stable TB3 repository I guess I'll just have to do it manually. Thanks anyway.

Comment

"and much more"

Oh come come, there's only a few more insignificant things, otherwise you would have listed them.

Can't wait to give this a go, was waiting for this. For one thing, traditional email clients allow you to get mail from several different accounts at once, something that web mail interfaces won't let you do (if you are using Gmail and the like, for instance). It can be a nice way to have all your email be centralized.

Comment

Working...
                    X