No announcement yet.

Google Chrome For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally tried this and I have to ask, does google plan to take over and be the next microsoft? This is closed source, right? It does look like it's trying to out do the performance of other browsers, and succeeding at least in start up time. Only thing missing is java support. But of course, youtube works a lot better on it (other than no firefox extensions).

Comment

Originally posted by Moronix View Post
      I finally tried this and I have to ask, does google plan to take over and be the next microsoft?
      Simple question, difficult anwser. The CEO of Google once worked at SUN in the Unix days. In a talk he gave (check the computer history museum channel on YouTube) he said that it's been tried in the past before to become the Microsoft of that age but it failed. History repeats itself. Goole doesn't aim to become the next platform monopolist because it can't compete there. Google wants to conquer services. That said, Google's platform is the internet, because it's compatible on all platforms, and it wants to dominate that. The only reason that Google makes their own browser, netbook OS and handheld OS is because of one single reason: accelerate and enrich their platform. The money that they make is from adds. The faster people can go online and the more webpages they can look at per second, the more eyeballs Googles adds will get.

This is closed source, right?
      No. It us fully open source. I believe completely free software. All code made by Google is commited upstream.

Comment

Only thing missing is java support.
        Chrome does have java support.

Comment

My mistake, yes, it is based on open source (chromium), with other varied licenses like BSD.

And 2nd point, yes you're right, java does work, it's just that it's not installed by default. It tries to use the default java plugin for mozilla and that doesn't work, it needs to be libnpjp2.so to be linked.

But I do think google wants to take over just like any company would. Only thing we can hope is that the system works itself out to avoid more tech monopolies.

Comment

And 2nd point, yes you're right, java does work, it's just that it's not installed by default. It tries to use the default java plugin for mozilla and that doesn't work, it needs to be libnpjp2.so to be linked.
            Well that is a packaging issue and not necessarily Chrome's fault. In openSUSE for example those links are already there when Chrome is installed.

Comment

Working...
            X