No announcement yet.

Google Chrome For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, one MAJOR problem with this thing. It was fine at work, everything looked good, but tried it at HOME (on a 46" LDC TV) -- and the tab (and other UI) fonts are *SO FRIKKIN TINY* with no way to make them bigger. I literally have to be within 4 feet of the screen to use it! I don't want to be 4 feet from a 46" display!!! I want to sit back on the sofa!

So back I go to firefox. At least it respects system font settings.

Comment

Well, I've tried it a bit. Works. Even with 64bit flash player ;-) but didn't noticed any special things about it. Works the same way as FF, but without my extensions... so as for now, I'm staying with FF :>

Comment

A quick benchmark using Peacekeeper (by futuremark) gives me these results :
        Chrome : 3994 points
        Firefox : 1512 points

Interesting.

Comment

Yay Chrome!

No thanks... I'll wait for a final build from SRWare's Iron fork. Which is Chrome without the phoning home 'features'...

PS: Get it from here: http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=835
          PS2: It includes an extension for smoother scrolling, RSS and mouse gestures
          Last edited by V!NCENT; 09 December 2009, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I've had Chromium installed for many months. How is Chrome different? Its just an "official" pre-compiled binary version of the same thing?

Comment

Right because we needed spyware on linux badly.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                Two issues kill Chrome/Linux for me:

1. Bad font rendering. It does not respect my system font settings (tabs and omnibar render at smaller font sizes than what I have configured) and its kerning algorithm is broken (just enter ''''''''''''''' on any text field, e.g. google.com, and compare it with Firefox/Opera).

2. Slow scrolling, especially when zoomed-in or out. Both Opera and Firefox destroy Chrome here.
                i have a feeling you wish chrome would die.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  Which distro and what font settings are you using?
                  openSUSE 11.2 here, factory default fonts and config, nvidia cards. No issue here.

Last edited by deanjo; 10 December 2009, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                    i have a feeling you wish chrome would die.
                    Nope, I actually like Chrome. It's UI design is impeccable and completely blows Firefox, Opera and Safari out of the water (each browser has its strong points, but none have such a cohesive vision *and* execution as Chrome). This is the prime example of user friendliness: software would do well to learn from Chrome's installation and uprgade procedure, startup times, general performance and "I'm getting the hell out of your way to let you do your work" attitude.

I'm merely listing the places that (IMO) need more work: font rendering is the reason why I'm not using Chrome on Linux and I'd also love to see its scrolling performance improve (the latter looks like a general WebKit issue, rather than a Chrome-specific one). I have many more gripes with Firefox/Opera/Safari/IE (so please don't ask! ) - it's just that Chrome is the topic of the current discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      openSUSE 11.2 here, factory default fonts and config, nvidia cards. No issue here.

Interesting, thanks. I'll check with different font settings and update the relevant Chromium bugs if I find anything useful.

Comment

Working...
                      X