Google Chrome For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
    Wait, is this the OS? Where are the damn download links? Why is this so complicated .
    Why would you think this is the OS? It doesn't say it's the OS. It even says it's the browser in the article. The download link for which is the same as its always been, and the same as 2 seconds (less than it took you to ask your question) searching for "google chrome" would have found you:

Get more done with the new Google Chrome. A more simple, secure, and faster web browser than ever, with Google’s smarts built-in. Download now.

Comment

Google Chrome really advanced from the early dev form to an usable brower but it has got some issues:

a) It could default to stealth mode with an option (or a Iron mode like mode) as i do not like to send a unique id to google.
      b) rss bookmarks are not supported, that's really lame as firefox and even ie can do this.
      c) Compared to the former development versions there is no sources.list.d file created, so automated updates are not done. No idea what will happen when there are (security) updates available.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        This is what I mean (Chromium on the left, Opera on the right, OS is Ubuntu/Karmic):

Chromium renders fonts identical to any other GTK+ app for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Google Chrome really advanced from the early dev form to an usable brower but it has got some issues:

a) It could default to stealth mode with an option (or a Iron mode like mode) as i do not like to send a unique id to google.
          On first run, Chrome asks the user if he/she wants to send that info to Google. I suppose that "feature" can be safely removed in a custom Chromium build.

b) rss bookmarks are not supported, that's really lame as firefox and even ie can do this.
          Do you mean RSS subscription? There's already an extension for that: https://chrome.google.com/extensions...bbbdekmmmcbfjd

Or you can use Google Reader

c) Compared to the former development versions there is no sources.list.d file created, so automated updates are not done. No idea what will happen when there are (security) updates available.
          I just installed the 64-bit .deb and it created the sources.list.d file without problems. Previously I purged the google-chrome-unstable package that I had installed.

Comment

I mean rss BOOKMARKS. Also i am sure you did not delete the sources.list.d list file. It was not packaged directly it was created by a pre or postinst file.

Comment

I mean rss BOOKMARKS. Also i am sure you did not delete the sources.list.d list file. It was not packaged directly it was created by a pre or postinst file.
              I didn't know about the RSS bookmark feature in other browsers.

I'm sure I deteled the sources.list.d file, but just to be sure I purged Chrome (it deleted the sources.list.d file on purge) and reinstalled again:

Code:
              ricardo@mahoro:~$ sudo dpkg -P google-chrome-beta
              [sudo] password for ricardo: 
              (Reading database ... 190576 files and directories currently installed.)
              Removing google-chrome-beta ...
              Purging configuration files for google-chrome-beta ...
              Processing triggers for menu ...
              Processing triggers for man-db ...
              ricardo@mahoro:~$ ls -l /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
              total 48
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 142 2009-11-21 23:27 kde3.list
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 142 2009-11-21 23:27 kde3.list.save
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   0 2009-11-21 23:26 kernel-ppa-ppa-karmic.list
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  63 2009-11-25 00:27 kernel-ppa-ppa-karmic.list.save
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 273 2009-11-21 23:27 medibuntu.list
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 273 2009-11-21 23:27 medibuntu.list.save
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 190 2009-11-21 23:27 sdlmame4ubuntu.major.list
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 190 2009-11-21 23:27 sdlmame4ubuntu.major.list.save
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 134 2009-10-13 21:25 vdpau.list.save
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  71 2009-11-21 23:27 xfce461.list
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  71 2009-11-21 23:27 xfce461.list.save
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  64 2009-11-25 00:38 xorg-edgers-ppa-karmic.list
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  64 2009-11-21 23:27 xorg-edgers-ppa-karmic.list.save
              ricardo@mahoro:~$ sudo dpkg -i Downloads/google-chrome-beta_current_amd64.deb 
              Selecting previously deselected package google-chrome-beta.
              (Reading database ... 190349 files and directories currently installed.)
              Unpacking google-chrome-beta (from .../google-chrome-beta_current_amd64.deb) ...
              Setting up google-chrome-beta (4.0.249.30-r33928) ...

Processing triggers for menu ...
              Processing triggers for man-db ...
              ricardo@mahoro:~$ ls -l /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
              total 52
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  48 2009-12-09 00:21 google-chrome.list
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 142 2009-11-21 23:27 kde3.list
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 142 2009-11-21 23:27 kde3.list.save
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   0 2009-11-21 23:26 kernel-ppa-ppa-karmic.list
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  63 2009-11-25 00:27 kernel-ppa-ppa-karmic.list.save
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 273 2009-11-21 23:27 medibuntu.list
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 273 2009-11-21 23:27 medibuntu.list.save
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 190 2009-11-21 23:27 sdlmame4ubuntu.major.list
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 190 2009-11-21 23:27 sdlmame4ubuntu.major.list.save
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 134 2009-10-13 21:25 vdpau.list.save
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  71 2009-11-21 23:27 xfce461.list
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  71 2009-11-21 23:27 xfce461.list.save
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  64 2009-11-25 00:38 xorg-edgers-ppa-karmic.list
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  64 2009-11-21 23:27 xorg-edgers-ppa-karmic.list.save
              ricardo@mahoro:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list 
              deb http://dl.google.com/linux/deb/ stable main
              I checked the google-chrome-beta.postinst and google-chrome-beta.postrm scripts in /var/lib/dpkg/info and there are a couple functions for handling the sources.list.d file and the repository key. Maybe those scripts didn't work as intended in your installation. I'm using Xubuntu 9.10 BTW.

Comment

It does not happen on Debian lenny.

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                  Why would you think this is the OS? It doesn't say it's the OS. It even says it's the browser in the article. The download link for which is the same as its always been, and the same as 2 seconds (less than it took you to ask your question) searching for "google chrome" would have found you:

http://www.google.com/chrome
                  Thanks, heh it was a bad joke. But really, I thought this was the OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
                    Chromium renders fonts identical to any other GTK+ app for me.
                    Which distro and what font settings are you using?

Comment

Lets just say that every other app and browser renders fonts identically under Fedora 12 with KDE 4.3 here even firefox and gimp (gtk apps), but Chrome does something weird that the menus are like on other apps but web sites are blurry as hell.

I think I know the reason now: http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/w00t.html
                      Check out the fourth box. I had a massive facepalm after seeing that.

Comment

Working...
                      X