• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You use ATI gfx card?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      You use ATI gfx card?
      It's not the ATI card. I have used r300, r600, GeForce 8800GT and 6600GT.
      I have tried FGLRX and the nVidia blob. I have tried software rendering. I've tried different versions of Wine. Different distros. It all doesn't matter...

Look, Wine is an incredibly high quality piece of software. The problem though is that they have to achieve binary compatibility with every line of usefull code of the Win32 API. And not just only that, but with Windows95 till 7 and beyond. It's remarkable that they can even achieve the results that they do today, but it's just not going to work for the full 100%, ever.

Comment

I really can not follow your problems. I even played Doom3 with wine before there was a native binary and it was really fast. Maybe i will test those old games you mentioned again, but can not tell you when i do that right now. Which wine release did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          I really can not follow your problems. I even played Doom3 with wine before there was a native binary and it was really fast. Maybe i will test those old games you mentioned again, but can not tell you when i do that right now. Which wine release did you use?
          I have been using Wine since 0.76 or something. I actually look at the current versions to track how old I am getting :') And damn, time goes fast

Try Quake 2, Rayman 3, Carmageddon TDR 2000, Oni, Harry Potter, Warcraft 3, etc, etc, etc. I just took a pile of old CD cases and started installing everything on an older PC and almost none actually worked. Grab whatever you can grab, really...

Comment

Well did you try 1.1.34? I don't think bug reports for older versions are usefull at all.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              I totally agree with you. That's why Ubuntu doesn't come with Wine by default. It only creates expectations and excitement only to find out that it almost doesn't run anything correctly and spoils the entire Linux expectations. It is better so see Linux as Linux and not as a Windows replacement or successor because it just can't be that. No matter how good the Wine integration is.
              I would expect that Wine is not default in Ubuntu simply because the general use case for most users (surf web, edit office documents, play music/videos) does not require it. There are many high quality Linux apps that are not part of the default install. No need to make it into more than it is.

I think it needs to be recognized though that most users are replacing Windows, and for various users and businesses, Wine can help support the transition by allowing unique or custom business apps to still be available under Linux. Linux can stand on it's own all it wants, but if users can't run the applications they need to then it's useless.

My historical complaint about Wine on Ubuntu was that it was always an old version, when the newer development builds gave a better user experience. Even with the latest build, there seems to be a wide range of experiences with Wine, while I'm floored at how well it runs most apps that I need to, I can appreciate that other apps don't work.

[BTW, FWIW I'm running Evernote 2.x, Mobipocket Reader, Firefox/Flash, Quicken... these aren't games, but they are still valuable apps to me, to say "nothing works" is a stretch. That being said, I think office/productivity application users might be more tolerant of glitches than game users... of course we had those on Windows too]
              Last edited by Craig73; 06 December 2009, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                IMO you are Wrong on all accounts.

I tried Linux years ago and it didn't support much of my hardware. So it must be true today? Same assumption, different project, and just as wrong.

I've yet to see Wine "spoil" a Linux setup. Even if a Windows program totally fails to work right... all my Linux apps work fine. What do you mean by "spoil"?

If you wished the best to Wine developers you'd stop trolling their work with misguided and outdated accusations of failure and uselessness. There are thousands of Wine users who disagree with you and would call Wine a success.
                Wine developer are ya? Sorry to step on your toes.

I respectfully disagree with you and that is MY opinion. If you're into Wine then have at it.
                In my experience, if you must use Windows apps, just use Windows or else find an alternative for Linux. Wine doesn't make Linux better, apps that run natively in Linux do.

What spoils Linux is when you inform a newbie he can use wine to run something he thinks he has to have. You and I both know that's a crap shoot at best. More often than not after hours of struggle the newbie throws up his arms and says screw it all and goes back to Windows.

How's that any good?
                Just tell the newbie to find a Linux alternative and he might stick around.

Comment

Originally posted by whiskey_tango View Post
                  Wine developer are ya? Sorry to step on your toes.

I respectfully disagree with you and that is MY opinion. If you're into Wine then have at it.
                  In my experience, if you must use Windows apps, just use Windows or else find an alternative for Linux. Wine doesn't make Linux better, apps that run natively in Linux do.

What spoils Linux is when you inform a newbie he can use wine to run something he thinks he has to have. You and I both know that's a crap shoot at best. More often than not after hours of struggle the newbie throws up his arms and says screw it all and goes back to Windows.

How's that any good?
                  Just tell the newbie to find a Linux alternative and he might stick around.

I don't know why OSS guys are always screaming that crap. There are a lot of programs that simply DON'T have a useful Linux alternative. It's just not that simple. Don't even get me started on gaming. Having to reboot just to play a game when you could possibly play said game with wine.

Personally, I've taken a break from Linux for a moment, but I can say that I probably wouldn't have if wine got some games to work properly.

(The issue V!NCENT complains about affects all source based games. Bug http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12453 and the supposedly fixed http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20602)

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
                    I don't know why OSS guys are always screaming that crap. There are a lot of programs that simply DON'T have a useful Linux alternative. It's just not that simple.
                    Even for the ones that do have a viable alternative, they often don't interoperate well enough (or at all) with the proprietary software and formats that people are expected to use to get their work done. Most people can't afford to quit their job just because they're expected to use proprietary software.

I do consider myself a supporter of both Free Software and Open Source Software, and I do agree that it's better to use native apps when they're suitable. Pretending that the situation is better than it really is doesn't help anybody, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X