KDE Puts Out Software Compilation 4.4 Beta 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    But I use Gentoo. My system needs 30 secs to boot and about 40secs for KDE to log out
    Whoa, I have no problems with this in Arch. What KDE and QT versions do you use?

Maybe nvidia related?

Could you try with nv or vesa?
    Last edited by kraftman; 05 December 2009, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
      Yeah the logout time is embarrassing, I wonder what would people say if Windows 7 did that along with spitting pages or warnings, errors, segfaults.
      They'll say there's something broken. You're trolling attidude is very funny. Btw. if KDE would be such broken in Kubuntu, OpenSuse etc. you're free to blame those distros, but if it works there and doesn't work in your distro you should blame your distro.

It works great in Arch and Kubuntu (afaik they even speeded up its load time in (K)).
      Last edited by kraftman; 05 December 2009, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Well nothing interesting, I'll install KDE when they will release leak free code, improve performance by a least 1.5x, and decrease memory usage by half. And maybe release more useful QT4 programs, but this is very unlikely.
        Well, it's performance is far better then thing called Gnome, QT4 apps are far more usefull and its code is not leaking. In example Koffice Kword is about 25MB in RAM on 64bit system. I believe nobody's interested in such comments, because of your offendend pride.

Gimp is unusable in composited environment, but Krita is much better. Gtk is since ages, but such new toolkit like QT4 is much better accelerated! Or Gtk is just so increadibly slow or broken.

Btw. what if they improve performance by 1.499x?
        Last edited by kraftman; 05 December 2009, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          Gimp is unusable in composited environment, but Krita is much better.
          Oh, great, more QT FUD. Or do you have proof for this?

Because, I am using Gimp with Compiz on fglrx and nvidia drivers, as well as on win32 (also composited) and it runs great on all configurations.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
            Oh, great, more QT FUD. Or do you have proof for this?
            I can record you my desktop while painting in Gimp and Krita.

EDIT:

Forget about those two - it depends on brush size.

Because, I am using Gimp with Compiz on fglrx and nvidia drivers, as well as on win32 (also composited) and it runs great on all configurations.
            I had nvidia card and it never ran great, the same about fglrx. I'm using os Ati driver and it's still slow, but it's easier to notice when you turn your CPU to powersave mode. Then move your mous from File to Help dialog in Firefox and notice how slow it is (no matter if composition is turned on or off).

Some old, but interesting benchmark (Qt4.3 vs Cairo):

A lot of people has been asking me about some performance comparison for the vector graphics framework we have. Rendering polygons, especial...
            Last edited by kraftman; 05 December 2009, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
              Now if only Qt would replace Gtk as the standard widget toolkit, then KDE would be perfect.

Even with qtcurve, Gtk apps look a little funny.
              I can not see a distinction between Firefox and the QT apps in my desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                I can record you my desktop while painting in Gimp and Krita.

EDIT:

Forget about those two - it depends on brush size.

I had nvidia card and it never ran great, the same about fglrx. I'm using os Ati driver and it's still slow, but it's easier to notice when you turn your CPU to powersave mode. Then move your mous from File to Help dialog in Firefox and notice how slow it is (no matter if composition is turned on or off).

Some old, but interesting benchmark (Qt4.3 vs Cairo):

http://zrusin.blogspot.com/2006/10/benchmarks.html
                Thanks, this was a pretty interesting read. However, I'm not sure the results are valid as far as Gimp is concerned:
                • Gimp doesn't really use polygon rendering (maybe the selection tool, but that's it)
                • This article is from 2006 and the article mentions that Cairo would include the same polygon tesselation algorithm as Qt in some future version.

In Gimp, I generally start seeing some performance degradation once I hit the 4096x4096 mark, but anything under that and even my dog-slow NVS135M runs pretty much fine. On high resolutions enabling Gegl can make the difference between taking a coffee break and realtime preview when applying filters (but this part has little to do with Qt vs GTK).

I would love to test krita, but it seems to be part of the koffice suite and has a crazy number of dependencies and my SSD wouldn't really like that...

Edit: Zack Rusin just plain rocks, though!
                Last edited by BlackStar; 05 December 2009, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
                  Now if only Qt would replace Gtk as the standard widget toolkit, then KDE would be perfect.

Even with qtcurve, Gtk apps look a little funny.
                  Try this :

It's still not perfect (thank you gtk+ for not carrying about anything that's not gnome) but IMHO better then qtcurve. Works great for mkvtoolnix and gimp (the only gtk+ apps I use)

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                    Thanks, this was a pretty interesting read. However, I'm not sure the results are valid as far as Gimp is concerned:
                    • Gimp doesn't really use polygon rendering (maybe the selection tool, but that's it)
                    • This article is from 2006 and the article mentions that Cairo would include the same polygon tesselation algorithm as Qt in some future version.
                    Yes, it's an old comparison.

In Gimp, I generally start seeing some performance degradation once I hit the 4096x4096 mark, but anything under that and even my dog-slow NVS135M runs pretty much fine. On high resolutions enabling Gegl can make the difference between taking a coffee break and realtime preview when applying filters (but this part has little to do with Qt vs GTK).

I would love to test krita, but it seems to be part of the koffice suite and has a crazy number of dependencies and my SSD wouldn't really like that...

Edit: Zack Rusin just plain rocks, though!
                    Like I said forget about Gimp and Krita, because both are slow when I choose bigger brush size and when I have compositing enabled

Comment

Spend some time with valgrind, you'll be terrified. Stable vanilla KDE will crawl and segfault at logout, lack of responsivity
                      I, and many more people out there, don't have this kind of problem since KDE 4.2 and newer X.org, Kernel, or other parts of the system.

however can be attributed to the Xorg's stack and the method Qt utilizes to render stuff. Problems are right there, but people just accept the way things are and convince themselves that there's nothing wrong.
                      In fact, my intel Atom with the 950GMA "GPU" consumes less than 150MB of memory after KDE 4.3 log-in. Problems WHERE right there, and they've been adressed by many dowstream projects. Obviously there are many obstacles and not every bit is perfect. My Athlon 64 939 with an Ge Force 7600 consumes much more memory at log-in than the Atom one.

Much like I don't need audio on Linux, hardware mixing, or who cares about OpenGL 3.2 compliant 3D rendering API.
                      My Creative X-fi do Hardware Mixing with Alsa. I don't even bother with pulseaudio, phonon or whatever. It Just Mixes?

And by the way... nvidia already cares about OpenGL 3.2. Gallium 3D too. But it takes time.

Comment

Working...
                      X