Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xine-lib Update Improves A Bit For Blu-ray

Phoronix: Xine-lib Update Improves A Bit For Blu-ray

The developers behind the Xine multimedia player have announced the release of xine-lib 1.1.17. This isn't the major Xine 1.2 library update that is expected to offer significantly better Blu-ray disc support along with support for NVIDIA's VDPAU interface, but the 1.1.17 release does carry some interesting features. To be found in xine-lib 1.1.17 is improved Matroska support, fixes for UTF-16 (affecting ID3 tags in particular), support for Apple QuickTime file trailers, better support for the OpenBSD operating system, and improved support for unencrypted files on Blu-ray discs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there already something like a livdvdcss for BlueRay? I hate to see BR do the same mistakes with some kind of CSS and Region Codes like the DVD had again. Thing is, that I used RC free firmware for all my DVD drives and that there is libdvdcss and Linux itself won't care about RC and stuff any further. So DVD is okay. But BR is still having these issues. And then maybe there's even additional macrovision, HDCP stuff neccessary. Does anybody have recent infos on these issues?

And imagine all the power that is wasted by decryption of GBytes of data...
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

And of course still no gapless support so you could at last listen to your live recordings without gaps between the tracks, no, that's rocket science.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        And of course still no gapless support so you could at last listen to your live recordings without gaps between the tracks, no, that's rocket science.
        You get gaps while listen your tracks with Xine? I hadn't such an experience since version 0.9.x

Edited: sorry misunderstood the problem...
        Last edited by Apopas; 02 December 2009, 07:00 AM.

Comment

News like this one are always nice to read, multimedia improvements under *nix is always a good and important thing.

Comment

That SIGSEGV when playing certain Quicktime movies is still present

$ xine CRASH/crash.mov
            This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.6cvs.
            (c) 2000-2007 The xine Team.
            xiTK received SIGSEGV signal, RIP.
            Aborted (core dumped)
            Oops. I think it only affects certain .mov files that use an external ffmpeg library. In my case, that's:

ffmpeg-libs-0.5-5.20091026svn.fc12.i686

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              Is there already something like a livdvdcss for BlueRay? I hate to see BR do the same mistakes with some kind of CSS and Region Codes like the DVD had again. Thing is, that I used RC free firmware for all my DVD drives and that there is libdvdcss and Linux itself won't care about RC and stuff any further. So DVD is okay. But BR is still having these issues. And then maybe there's even additional macrovision, HDCP stuff neccessary. Does anybody have recent infos on these issues?

And imagine all the power that is wasted by decryption of GBytes of data...
              Blu-Ray is still a tricky issue even on Windows- unless you pay up for AnyDVD HD, you can't watch/rip the latest Blu-rays (and sometimes even then there is a lag between when the movie comes out, and the update to AnyDVD is available.)

There's several libraries floating around to deal with Blu-ray problem #2: BD+, a JVM that only allows access to authorized devices, and can be updated each time a disk comes out.

There's some patches on the MPlayer list for playing some encrypted Blu-rays, using one of the libraries out there, provided you already have all the needed keys.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Xine-lib Update Improves A Bit For Blu-ray

system, and improved support for unencrypted files on Blu-ray discs...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzc1Nw
                Well, comparing to MPlayer, at least xine supports PGS (subtitles) in m2ts files ripped from Blu-ray. I wonder what will be the first player to support blu-ray menus etc (and yes, I'm talking about decrypted discs, AnyDVD HD is the only way to fully decrypt all discs today .

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  The support for gapless needs to be implemented in the frontend as well (like xine-ui for example does). Xine-lib itself has offered gapless for a long time.

Comment

Oh. Time to bug Amarok again about it, since last time they complained Xine doesn't support it

Comment

Working...
                    X