Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V!NCENT
    replied
    PS:It looks a thousand times better than Gnome too. My desktop: http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5953/kde433.png

Originally posted by misiu_mp View Post
    Seriously though, i dunno why, but on my 1.8GHz p mobile laptop with intel graphics, kde is just slow as molasses.
    You haven't been following Phoronix too much: it's the buggy Intel crap driver that sucks cock

KDE is unusable, gnome is usable.
    Rofl... I can do much more with KDE than I can do with Gnome. Even my avarage joe ex-sixpack dad thinks the upgrade from Gnome to KDE rocks. He literaly said that it was not only more stable, but also much more usable.

Take that Gnome!
    Last edited by V!NCENT; 03 December 2009, 10:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• misiu_mp
    replied
    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    It takes up about 750MB RAM... It is 1000x faster than Gnome 2.2.8. KDE requires a bunch of mem, but the more there is that you run in KDE, the less memmory and resources you'll waste.

Gnome, with all due respect, is technologically inferior to KDE4. Turn on Compiz and that docky thing and it wastes so much resources that I don't even considder using it on my Phenom 9950 quadcore with 8GB RAM.

Gnome suits peoples needs, but from a capability and tech perspective it SUCKS COCK!
    HA-HA: He uses gnome 2.2.8. Ha-Ha!
    I wish gnome could suck cock! Talk about a killer-app! Imagine the headlines: "Gnome - the only program that can SUCK ... ... ..."

Seriously though, i dunno why, but on my 1.8GHz p mobile laptop with intel graphics, kde is just slow as molasses. Blame the distro (mint, ie ubuntu), buggy drivers or whatever. KDE is unusable, gnome is usable.

Besides whos genius idea (not) was it to put a rotate function for plasmoids?

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    I am using KDE 4.3.3.. Needless to say my entire desktop is filled with widgets (everything is a widget in Plasma, including the taskbar) and AmaroK 2.2.1 is running minimized, streaming Fresh.fm. Firefox is open with 2 tabs open currently, the KDE Systemmonitor is running. Yakuake and Kopete are running in the background. Preload (RAM caching app) is also running.

It takes up about 750MB RAM... It is 1000x faster than Gnome 2.2.8. KDE requires a bunch of mem, but the more there is that you run in KDE, the less memmory and resources you'll waste.

Gnome, with all due respect, is technologically inferior to KDE4. Turn on Compiz and that docky thing and it wastes so much resources that I don't even considder using it on my Phenom 9950 quadcore with 8GB RAM.

Gnome suits peoples needs, but from a capability and tech perspective it SUCKS COCK!

Leave a comment:

• Adarion
    replied
    Well, on my Gentoo box (KDE4) mem usage is usually good below 300M. Don't have that many daemons running though.
    Anyway.

Folks, this is one of the most stupid threads I've seen in the last 5 years.
    I can't believe people are pissing at each other for KDE having a few "K"s in its apps and Gnome haveing some GNU-"Gs" here and there. There are far worse naming schemes in this world!
    And who really cares?
    If a name like kedit/gedit/whatever is a real problem for you then I so don't want to be you.
    I mean where is the problem if something is called kpdf or okular or kolourpaint? This does absolutely not have any influence on the software itself.

What is important on a name is:
    a) it will not double with any existing software and confuse users
    b) the name tells you a bit about the software, what it probably does and so on, so users can identify it
    c) it would be nice if it is also catchy

So please stop flaming about random-DE/WM because of a choice of names for its tools and apps.

No go back to whatever you did before and care about real problems instead of Ks and Gs and Xs in names of programs.

Just had to say that.

Or did I miss the sarcasm tags here?

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Hah, make that (checks system monitor) 500-600MB, which I feel is pretty reasonable for a 2009 desktop. Not counting my browser/email clients, Compiz is the biggest consumer at 47MB, gnome-do comes second at 26MB and AWN needs an aggregate of about 30MB (distributed among several applets). No memory leak I can detect after several hours of uptime.
    500-600MB is quite a lot compared to KDE and QT4.6 should even reduce memory usage.

Leave a comment:

• benmoran
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
    If names and marketing are important to you, then you have no business using Linux LOL. The best graphic editor (The GIMP) and the best music manager (gMusicBrowser) both have sucky names. It's a good thing Pidgin (Gaim) and Mozilla (Firefox) changed their names, because they were a bit geek-ish as well.
    Well, i'm just being honest here. It's not about names being important. I don't care about marketing. It's just something that pisses me off. And as my post stated, it's not the only reason I don't use KDE regularly, but the names are the straw that broke the camels back, if you will.

Using a bunch of programs with "K" in the name reminds me oh so unpleasantly of leet speak. It's like a throwback to the days of AOL/etc chat rooms where everyone spoke with "z"s instead of "S"s. It just pisses me off.

If the program is good, I'll use it regardless. But given a choice, wouldn't you rather install avidemux-qt than avidemuKz?

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    Last time I used AWN a few months back, it still had a few quirks. How is it now?
    Slightly quirky, but much much better. The developers are extremely responsive, which is always a good thing.

Personally, I feel that docky2 has the potential to become the strongest dock-like application, but its panel mode is still at its infancy. Right now, it's a lot faster and slightly prettier than AWN, but it's also missing some features which make it unstuitable for mainstream usage.

Which is why I am excited about Ubuntu 10.04: it will be released at a point where these projects will have matured significantly.

Originally posted by RealNC
    ...that needs 1GB RAM after running for more than 6 hours and slows the system down to a crawl. That *comes* close to Vista/7 though, since those do this right from the start
    Hah, make that (checks system monitor) 500-600MB, which I feel is pretty reasonable for a 2009 desktop. Not counting my browser/email clients, Compiz is the biggest consumer at 47MB, gnome-do comes second at 26MB and AWN needs an aggregate of about 30MB (distributed among several applets). No memory leak I can detect after several hours of uptime.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    It's not 2003 anymore.
    Which is why Gnome 3.0 is in the making

Leave a comment:

• Joe Sixpack
    replied
    Originally posted by benmoran View Post
    You have to be stupid if you think names have nothing to do with perception of a product.
    If names and marketing are important to you, then you have no business using Linux LOL. The best graphic editor (The GIMP) and the best music manager (gMusicBrowser) both have sucky names. It's a good thing Pidgin (Gaim) and Mozilla (Firefox) changed their names, because they were a bit geek-ish as well.

Then there's Ubuntu, SUSE, Mandriva... we could go on all week about this

(Oh I forgot... Mozilla is now called "SeaMonkey" LOL!!)

Leave a comment:

• Joe Sixpack
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    Gnome 2.28 + compiz + AWN/docky2/cairo-dock + gnome-do provide an UI superior to Vista and on par to Win7. The docks are not yet as mature as the Win7 taskbar, but gnome-do more than makes up for this defect. Gnome is much more configurable than Windows.
    Last time I used AWN a few months back, it still had a few quirks. How is it now?

However, your statement eludes to a discussion we had on here about 2 months ago: the default GNOME desktop SUCKS!! After a clean install, it's takes me 30-60 minutes to get GNOME looking decent. It should not take that much tweaking to get a beautiful, semi-modern desktop. I'm sorry, but it just shouldn't. It's not 2003 anymore.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X