KDE Software Compilation 4.3.4 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    Adding some plasmoids cause the panel (or-what-kde-calls-it) to be completely messed up. It grows, other buttons (plasmoids) disappear, overlap or are moved out of the screen and the whole thing can just move somewhere else. It goes to the top of the screen but some parts of it stick out from the bottom. Thats just for adding some (standard) plasmoids. Total disaster.
    Granted, I didnt experience a crash-kind-of instability.
    They just fit very nice in my opinion and when you resize them, they don't loose quality. Btw. can you add such plasmoids (or applets) to your Gnomes panel and if yes, doesn't they look ugly when you resize it?
    You can add applets and they look just fine when you resize the panel. SVG ftw, baby!

Btw, does anyone like the intrusive sidebar that appears when you hover an icon in KDE? The first time I saw that, I was startled: "wtf is this gray thing doing here, and why is it larger than the icon?"

Also the drag&drop animation, oh the horror! The icon becomes translucent (which is nice) but its text turns into a fugly, non-antialiased mess. (Maybe the compositor can fix that, but I cannot use it for other reasons).

I could go on with the click animation on icons (which causes them to change size, aka "hey, let's add animations everywhere!"), the ugly white text border on desktop icons, the aggressive default theme... There's so much to like in KDE, but damn its screws could use some tightening.

I guess most people can ignore those minor details, but I'm a graphics programmer and my eyes are conditioned to seek out inconsistencies... (oh, my life surely would have been simpler if not for that!)

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      Gnome, with all due respect, is technologically inferior to KDE4.[...]

Gnome suits peoples needs, but from a capability and tech perspective it SUCKS COCK!
      With all due respect it sucks cock?

Surely, it is the high level of technical commentary what keeps me coming back to Phoronix.

Comment

Gnome suits peoples needs, but from a capability and tech perspective it SUCKS COCK!
        Originally posted by V!NCENT
        You haven't been following Phoronix too much: it's the buggy Intel crap driver that sucks cock
        It seems you know quite a fair bit about cock.

Not that ders anything wrong with that.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          Oh $god, this looks... awful. I get dizzy just looking at that screenshot! Don't tell me the snow is animated, too?
          Yes, that was the entire point. But for those who like to have a desktop from the stoneage I made a screenshot in which I'd like to point ou that you can configure the Plasma desktop to behave like the 20yo desktop concept, Amarok 2.x to behave like Amarok 1.x with just 3 mouseclicks and the Win9x aera KDE 3.x decoration and icons: http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/9...e35suckage.png

Btw, does anyone like the intrusive sidebar that appears when you hover an icon in KDE? The first time I saw that, I was startled: "wtf is this gray thing doing here, and why is it larger than the icon?"
          Why? Because in standard view everything is a widget, including the icons. Don't like the new way KDE4 works? Right-click your desktop and set it to behave like folder-view. Don't like the sidebars? No shit; they are meant for customising your desktop. Righ-click and ' lock widgets' and it's not comming up again.

Also the drag&drop animation, oh the horror! The icon becomes translucent (which is nice) but its text turns into a fugly, non-antialiased mess. (Maybe the compositor can fix that, but I cannot use it for other reasons).
          KDE4 is geared to compisiting. You should enable it because it improves the entire experience by a factor of 10. For example: on insanely high resolutions (think above 1080i) everything scales up, including text.

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
          With all due respect it sucks cock?

Surely, it is the high level of technical commentary what keeps me coming back to Phoronix.
          Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
          It seems you know quite a fair bit about cock.

Not that ders anything wrong with that.
          Excuse me. What I meant to say was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlc1u...eature=related

PS: You can even let Kicker behave like KDE 3.x
          Last edited by V!NCENT; 08 December 2009, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Default KDE 4.xxx has one thing really wrong! - No Xsnow.

Hi yall & Vincent,

that does surely look xmousey, but I just really, really gotta have my XSNOW. :-D

Load it on XFCE & see what I mean?

NOTHING beats Santa bouncing accross the screen, prezies bouncing & all that wind swept snow, says I.

Desktop Effectz is nice, but with ATI drivers, things turn ugly really fast, when watching video & so I do not use Compiz etc. Still, the ATI devz do make progress, under-resourced as they are.

So, back to Gnome-age, for my Xsnow. :-P

GreekGeek :-)

Comment

Yes, that was the entire point. But for those who like to have a desktop from the stoneage I made a screenshot in which I'd like to point ou that you can configure the Plasma desktop to behave like the 20yo desktop concept, Amarok 2.x to behave like Amarok 1.x with just 3 mouseclicks and the Win9x aera KDE 3.x decoration and icons: http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/9...e35suckage.png
              That's still ugly, but more bearable. That's why there are diehard KDE 3.x users, I guess. :P

Why? Because in standard view everything is a widget, including the icons. Don't like the new way KDE4 works? Right-click your desktop and set it to behave like folder-view. Don't like the sidebars? No shit; they are meant for customising your desktop. Righ-click and ' lock widgets' and it's not comming up again.
              Aha, thanks for the tip! I've got them to play nice now, but it would have helped if the sidebars had any kind of pop-up documentation as to their purpose.

WRT composition, I am running inside VirtualBox and even though the compositor would probably run (Compiz works, so kwin should too), the performance tradeoff would be too high. I'll give it a try, but I doubt it will be able to run fast on 512MB memory and virtualized 3d.

Comment

That's still ugly, but more bearable. That's why there are diehard KDE 3.x users, I guess. :P
                So ehm... You do like this?: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Gnome-2.28.png

My... God...

Comment

So ehm... You do like this?: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Gnome-2.28.png

My... God...
                  Nice try, but no. I prefer something like this.

Comment

Show this Fedora devs please

Comment

What do you mean, nice try? It's the default Gnome 2.28 desktop, just as much as my screenshots are from the default KDE 4.3.3 desktop.

Compiz doesn't count because it is not the default Gnome WM.

But I can make my KDE 4.3.3 look exactly like that, it is just that I don't want to have poo on my desktop with a verticle taskbar and switching windows like it was Windows 95...

PS: And that is not the Gnome taskbar, but that Docky thing! The only thing that came from Gnome over there is the fscking file manager! And the widgets are also not from the Gnome DE!

Comment

Working...
                      X