KDE Software Compilation 4.3.4 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    PS:It looks a thousand times better than Gnome too. My desktop: [url]http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5953/kde433.png[/url
    As someone who runs a Gnome-only Gentoo setup, I can honestly say that your desktop is badass.

FYI: I don't criticize Gnome because I'm a KDE fanboy - I criticize it because I use it everyday and I see the areas that need improvement. Once KDE releases 4.4.1 (I like bug fix releases) with that phonon equalizer support, I'm dumping Gnome for about 3 years.

Comment

KDE 4.xxx has one thing really wrong!

Hi guys,

one persons Vinegar, is anothers Wine. Hence the dull clash, of subjective value judgements.... BUT.

It is that time of year again and there is one thing that is REALLY pissing me off about KDE 4.xxx, XSNOW.

After all, it is coming up to xmass & I must have Santa dashing accross my screen & snow falling... :-)

While I have been on KDE, since 1998, I will use Gnome till about the end of this month-cause of XSNOW.

It surely is slower than KDE and that is on a quad core Phenom @ 3600 with a 5850.

If ANYONE has XSNOW going propa on KDE 4.xxx, lemmie know how you did it?

*BFN*

GreekGeek :-)

Comment

Originally posted by misiu_mp View Post
        I dont care to figure out what is messed up. All I know is that I can use my computer with gnome, not kde. As far as I know the drivers are used the same (surely they might use different features and that is the problem).
        Yes, this could be a problem, but Intel should rather have good QT4 acceleration.

I am yet to see a stable KDE environment (such as not doing wierd stuff about positioning plasmoids). And where did the simple system monitor (cpu/ram) applet go ?
        I really dont know what was your point with that matrox card ( i dont want to know either ).
        What does stability has to positioning plasmoids? It works very well. I don't know what applet do you mean, but there are plasmoids (applets?) which are such system monitors. The point was even such card worked great in KDE4. I had to spend much time to find drivers for it.

I must reiterate: the rotate function is completely retarded. Its ugly and useless. Its wasting the user's attention.
        Actually I like it, so this is nice feature for me.

In my opinion the complete overhaul, instead of incremental evolution was a very inefficient use of KDE team's human resources.
        In my opinion it's exactly oposite. I found Gnome to be very hardly usable and sluggish. You mentioned you don't like rotating plasmoids, but what "genius" inveted "feature" when you click on some folder it will open in the new window (probably some Win devs, but it's default in Gnome)? This is so utterly stupid and it's useless. In my opinion Gnome's crippling Linux, because it's lack of some standard features which Windows has and it looks usually awfull when you compare it to OS X (like Fedora). I bet Gnome's the last reason to migrate to Linux for Win or OS X people.

I would like to make it clear I want KDE to be nice and stable already. I just dont see it so yet. If it is entirely the distros fault, then im deeply sorry and request to have some really nice KDE distros pointed out (preferably with livecds). My point about rotation stands either way
        (yes it is making me crazy - why IS it [there]).
        Yeah, I'd also love to see Gnome stable and nice too ;>
        Last edited by kraftman; 04 December 2009, 12:35 PM.

Comment

4.4 will seriously blow our mind! It's just going to be the best DE ever :P 4.3 is already awesome, but 4.4 will shine! Even the most loyal gnome fan has to agree that the speed KDE 4 improves is seriously stunnig. Digikam and kdenlive are just pure awesome. I mean just compare Amarok 2.0.0 from a year ago to 2.2.1 what we have now. The speed KDE and it's apps evolve is c-c-c-crazy! Compare Koffice 2.0 from summer to 2.1 which was just released. The amount of Improvements is staggering and by next summer 2.2 krita should be "professional" ready=easily compareable to gimp maybe even better and kwrite can too replace that huge bloat called openoffice for many.

This "Solid Pillars" strategy that KDE took with it's 4th series is seriously paying off now and will pay more in the long term. Exciting times with free software desktop's indeed
          Last edited by blindfrog; 04 December 2009, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            What does stability has to positioning plasmoids?
            Adding some plasmoids cause the panel (or-what-kde-calls-it) to be completely messed up. It grows, other buttons (plasmoids) disappear, overlap or are moved out of the screen and the whole thing can just move somewhere else. It goes to the top of the screen but some parts of it stick out from the bottom. Thats just for adding some (standard) plasmoids. Total disaster.
            Granted, I didnt experience a crash-kind-of instability.

I don't know what applet do you mean, but there are plasmoids (applets?) which are such system monitors.
            Can you point out which plasmoid replaces the gnome-system-monitor applet in kde (I need cpu graph, memory:[programs, cache], swap) and is efficient in operation?

Actually I like it, so this is nice feature for me.
            Maybe if it worked smoothly and looked nice (anti-aliasing), it wouldnt be such a pain in the ass. Now it is slow and ugly, which is much worse than just useless.

what "genius" inveted "feature" when you click on some folder it will open in the new window
            Thats bad indeed, but you change the behavior easily and forget it forever. As a matter of fact at first I didnt even know what you were talking about. Only after a while I remembered it (damn you =).

I found Gnome to be very hardly usable and sluggish.
            Its interesting, I didn't see any performance issues in gnome at all. Its all smooth (with exception for some driver-related, circumventable rendering problems).

In my opinion Gnome's crippling Linux, because it's lack of some standard features which Windows has and it looks usually awfull when you compare it to OS X (like Fedora). I bet Gnome's the last reason to migrate to Linux for Win or OS X people.
            Gnome is clean, easy, fully functional, and appealing. Its looks are actually very much inspired by macosX. There are plenty of themes to fit your esthetical needs and its functionality exceeds that of windows (explorer) easily (especially coupled with nautilus extensions).
            Maybe you looked at some (much) earlier versions of gnome, which truly were quite useless (and ugly). One notable example is eog, which used to be a total piece-of-shit-of-a-memory-hog but now is probably the best image viewer out there. Its quick, efficient and above all ergonomic (quick panning and zooming with the scroll wheel to what is pointed by the mouse is the shit). There is plenty of evolutionary usability improvements in gnome, which can go unnoticed to someone who dont use it regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by GreekGeek View Post
              It is that time of year again and there is one thing that is REALLY pissing me off about KDE 4.xxx, XSNOW.
              Hahahahahaha xD Just go to the system settings pannel, check the desktop effects and when it's on go to the effects tab (I am sorry, I am not on KDE right now so I can't point you to the right place ) and check falling snow on the desktop.

It comes with KDE4 by default

Comment

Default KDE 4.xxx has one thing really wrong! - No Xsnow.

Hi yall & Vincent,

thanks for the heads up man. :-)

I do know about XGL-snow and there are one or two issues runnng "Desktop Effects," with ATI's driver "blob."

ATI/AMD need to put some more $$$$, into Driver R&D & Q&A. The farce of releasing xvba in one release & then wreaking it in the following, must make the Nvidia guys wet them selves with laughter.... :-P

What I would like, is Xsnow, on KDE for xmas. Oh and a Free Tibet, world peace and no one wanting for food or shelter... Um, but that is off topic. ;-)

Yeah, Xsnow.

GreekGeek :-)

Comment

Originally posted by misiu_mp View Post
                  Adding some plasmoids cause the panel (or-what-kde-calls-it) to be completely messed up. It grows, other buttons (plasmoids) disappear, overlap or are moved out of the screen and the whole thing can just move somewhere else. It goes to the top of the screen but some parts of it stick out from the bottom. Thats just for adding some (standard) plasmoids. Total disaster.
                  Granted, I didnt experience a crash-kind-of instability.
                  They just fit very nice in my opinion and when you resize them, they don't loose quality. Btw. can you add such plasmoids (or applets) to your Gnomes panel and if yes, doesn't they look ugly when you resize it?

Can you point out which plasmoid replaces the gnome-system-monitor applet in kde (I need cpu graph, memory:[programs, cache], swap) and is efficient in operation?
                  Of course - system applet monitor which looks very nice IMHO. I'm not sure if I gave you a correct name. Btw. I don't consider such things to be very important. I can say Gnome sux, because it doesn't have bubble-monitor applet, but it would be stupid.

Maybe if it worked smoothly and looked nice (anti-aliasing), it wouldnt be such a pain in the ass. Now it is slow and ugly, which is much worse than just useless.
                  Your opinion It works slow, but it's rather drivers problem (but the same can be said about some Gnomes performance problems).

Thats bad indeed, but you change the behavior easily and forget it forever. As a matter of fact at first I didnt even know what you were talking about. Only after a while I remembered it (damn you =).
                  Yes, it's not a big problem, but if some user switch to Linux (maybe to Fedora in this case) this thing can give him a bad first impression. However, let's say it's just a Fedora problem

Its interesting, I didn't see any performance issues in gnome at all. Its all smooth (with exception for some driver-related, circumventable rendering problems).
                  I'm talking mainly about this exception (but it also affects KDE in some way). However, I found qt apps are more responsive (esspecialy their interface, but this also can be just drivers related).

Gnome is clean, easy, fully functional, and appealing. Its looks are actually very much inspired by macosX. There are plenty of themes to fit your esthetical needs and its functionality exceeds that of windows (explorer) easily (especially coupled with nautilus extensions).
                  Maybe you looked at some (much) earlier versions of gnome, which truly were quite useless (and ugly). One notable example is eog, which used to be a total piece-of-shit-of-a-memory-hog but now is probably the best image viewer out there. Its quick, efficient and above all ergonomic (quick panning and zooming with the scroll wheel to what is pointed by the mouse is the shit). There is plenty of evolutionary usability improvements in gnome, which can go unnoticed to someone who dont use it regularly.
                  Yes, when last I tried it there was this Eye of Gnome thing :>

Comment

@GreekGeek,

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

KDE snow on my desktop now -> http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8014/letitsnow.png

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                      @GreekGeek,

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

KDE snow on my desktop now -> http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/8014/letitsnow.png
                      Oh $god, this looks... awful. I get dizzy just looking at that screenshot! Don't tell me the snow is animated, too?

It would be rather cool if snow actually accumulated on immobile windows and the taskbar, but I don't think I'd ever use something like that on my desktop! To each his own I guess.

Comment

Working...
                      X