KDE Software Compilation 4.3.4 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
    You have to be stupid if you think names have nothing to do with perception of a product.
    It's not so smart to not use some DE, because of apps names. Perception is another story. However, having such names is easier to avoid gtk dependencies. If there's a 'Kool' name such app usually base on QT

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
      If they're doing that, then maybe we can finally get them to drop the stupid "design app names around a specific letter" naming scheme!
      They have done that about two years ago

Plasma, huh?

Raptor
      Dolphin
      Dragon Player
      Speedcrunch
      Marble
      Phonon
      Oxygen
      Solid
      Decibel
      Sonnet
      ThreadWeaver
      Arts
      Last edited by V!NCENT; 02 December 2009, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        They have done that about two years ago
        Which was all fine and dandy, until they went and said that apps should now include "KDE" to improve product perception. Which means something like:

KDE Raptor
        KDE Dolphin
        KDE Dragon Player
        KDE Speedcrunch
        KDE Marble
        KDE Phonon
        KDE Oxygen
        KDE Solid
        KDE Decibel
        KDE Sonnet
        KDE ThreadWeaver
        KDE Arts

Nice, isn't it?

Originally posted by bullext
        It's not shit, but I can only compare it to the UI of Windows 98 or Xp. It doesn't go further and is emberassing when compared to KDE4 and even Windows Vista/7.
        Please stop this, you are embarassing yourself.

Gnome 2.28 + compiz + AWN/docky2/cairo-dock + gnome-do provide an UI superior to Vista and on par to Win7. The docks are not yet as mature as the Win7 taskbar, but gnome-do more than makes up for this defect. Gnome is much more configurable than Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          Gnome 2.28 + compiz + AWN/docky2/cairo-dock + gnome-do provide an UI ...
          ...that needs 1GB RAM after running for more than 6 hours and slows the system down to a crawl. That *comes* close to Vista/7 though, since those do this right from the start

Comment

Which was all fine and dandy, until they went and said that apps should now include "KDE" to improve product perception.
            I actually like the entire K thing because I can then easily know if it's made for KDE/QT.

But it doesn't matter because if you're on KDE4 then all apps are identified by their function and not their name. KDE itself is never displayed actually.

For example:
            KDE Speencrunch = calculator
            K3B = CD & DVD burning
            Amarok = Audioplayer
            Etc, etc.

So for average desktop users it doesn't even matter.

I love KDE4. KDE3 was just a resource hog, but KDE4 is just so epic. It's like following Apples WWDC; each time they come up with new stuff that makes me think "Wow that's epic".

Gnome is just boring. Flat out. It's a feature, I know. It's cut the crap and suit the average user. It's all solid and usability tested and nothing goes wrong and nothing is complicated. But if I would want that I would buy a Mac or use Windows.*

* Just my opinion of course

Comment

Having said that, it really is rather stupid, except for clever cases like Okular, amaroK, or even Kaffeine. gEdit and KEdit are stupid as shit to me.[/QUOTE]

The reason for the 'g' and the 'k' is simply that gnome and kde are not mutually exclusive, nor perfect replacements one for the other. One may want to have gnome applications in a kde system and kde application on a gnome system.
              - How to have both gEdit and kEdit in your system in an easy to remember way if you drop the g and the k?

To solve your issue.
              - cd ~/bin; ln -s /usr/bin/kedit edit

Comment

Gnome 2.28 + compiz + AWN/docky2/cairo-dock + gnome-do provide an UI superior to Vista and on par to Win7. The docks are not yet as mature as the Win7 taskbar, but gnome-do more than makes up for this defect. Gnome is much more configurable than Windows.
                Last time I used AWN a few months back, it still had a few quirks. How is it now?

However, your statement eludes to a discussion we had on here about 2 months ago: the default GNOME desktop SUCKS!! After a clean install, it's takes me 30-60 minutes to get GNOME looking decent. It should not take that much tweaking to get a beautiful, semi-modern desktop. I'm sorry, but it just shouldn't. It's not 2003 anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
                  You have to be stupid if you think names have nothing to do with perception of a product.
                  If names and marketing are important to you, then you have no business using Linux LOL. The best graphic editor (The GIMP) and the best music manager (gMusicBrowser) both have sucky names. It's a good thing Pidgin (Gaim) and Mozilla (Firefox) changed their names, because they were a bit geek-ish as well.

Then there's Ubuntu, SUSE, Mandriva... we could go on all week about this

(Oh I forgot... Mozilla is now called "SeaMonkey" LOL!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
                    It's not 2003 anymore.
                    Which is why Gnome 3.0 is in the making

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
                      Last time I used AWN a few months back, it still had a few quirks. How is it now?
                      Slightly quirky, but much much better. The developers are extremely responsive, which is always a good thing.

Personally, I feel that docky2 has the potential to become the strongest dock-like application, but its panel mode is still at its infancy. Right now, it's a lot faster and slightly prettier than AWN, but it's also missing some features which make it unstuitable for mainstream usage.

Which is why I am excited about Ubuntu 10.04: it will be released at a point where these projects will have matured significantly.

Originally posted by RealNC
                      ...that needs 1GB RAM after running for more than 6 hours and slows the system down to a crawl. That *comes* close to Vista/7 though, since those do this right from the start
                      Hah, make that (checks system monitor) 500-600MB, which I feel is pretty reasonable for a 2009 desktop. Not counting my browser/email clients, Compiz is the biggest consumer at 47MB, gnome-do comes second at 26MB and AWN needs an aggregate of about 30MB (distributed among several applets). No memory leak I can detect after several hours of uptime.

Comment

Working...
                      X