X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    If you are not affected by this issue, there's no reason to participate in solving it. This is not a court and we don't have to prove to you that we're not lying.
    So only the other party needs to give proof to back up their point of views? Sounds like an interesting "debate".

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    If you are not affected by this issue, there's no reason to participate in solving it. This is not a court and we don't have to prove to you that we're not lying.

Leave a comment:

• Ant P.
    replied
    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    In Ingo's benchmarks CFS does much better. I would appreciate if you can show me some links.
    Okay. Here's some real world numbers, perhaps now you can also show some links where CFS is better outside of cherry-picked benchmarks?

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
    I'm talking about a process going from taking 18 hours to run to 12 hours.

Or are you saying all the Folding@Home users on Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora, Arch also have a "broken config" too?
    In Ingo's benchmarks CFS does much better. I would appreciate if you can show me some links. Links related to those reports you mentioned. Btw. something good can result from comparing those two schedulers, because Ingo is open for improvements.
    Last edited by kraftman; 08 September 2009, 02:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ant P.
    replied
    @Ant P.

The point is it can be something wrong with your config. Eh, who's talking about?

Oh, I probably know what you mean, but I prefer to see improvements on paper, because I don't believe in Con's sixth sense.
    I'm talking about a process going from taking 18 hours to run to 12 hours.

Or are you saying all the Folding@Home users on Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora, Arch also have a "broken config" too?

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I know how to configure a kernel. And I had those problems with openSUSE too.

Way to extrapolate. "I have no problems therefore the rest of the world doesn't either."

(Snipped the rest of this nonsense.)
    I wonder, because you had problems even with Alsa. "I have problems therefore the rest of the world also does". Oh, where's your config? :>

I recommend reading up on this issue because I'm in no mood to start googling and copy&pasting for you. This issue has been there since the first time Kolivas solved it with his -ck tree (which got largely ignored by most devs since their so-called "desktop" consists of an xterm and emacs running on 10000$ hardware.) He worked hard and got far. Hearing this from you is insulting his much appreciated work. Also read up on the extreme performance gains Android users get with BFS.
    I will try myself, but CFS does job very well here. I don't appreciate this mans work. However, it can change

@Ant P.

That's an awful lot of rhetoric coming from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. Insulting my choice of distro? Ugh, grow up.
    The point is it can be something wrong with your config. Eh, who's talking about?

Oh, I probably know what you mean, but I prefer to see improvements on paper, because I don't believe in Con's sixth sense.
    Last edited by kraftman; 09 September 2009, 08:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Ant P.
    replied
    That's an awful lot of rhetoric coming from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. Insulting my choice of distro? Ugh, grow up.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    It seems bfs is a mess:

@RealNC

I really recommend you to try a normal distro (with sane config...), before you post a thing, because it seems you've got something really messed up...
    I know how to configure a kernel. And I had those problems with openSUSE too.

@Ant P.

Strange, because I have no problems with CPU usage. It seems two Gentoo users have problems.
    Way to extrapolate. "I have no problems therefore the rest of the world doesn't either."

(Snipped the rest of this nonsense.)

I recommend reading up on this issue because I'm in no mood to start googling and copy&pasting for you. This issue has been there since the first time Kolivas solved it with his -ck tree (which got largely ignored by most devs since their so-called "desktop" consists of an xterm and emacs running on 10000$ hardware.) He worked hard and got far. Hearing this from you is insulting his much appreciated work. Also read up on the extreme performance gains Android users get with BFS.
    Last edited by RealNC; 08 September 2009, 11:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    It seems bfs is a mess:

@RealNC

I really recommend you to try a normal distro (with sane config...), before you post a thing, because it seems you've got something really messed up...

@Ant P.

What I DO notice is that CPU-intensive things (emerge, folding-at-home, etc.) run a hell of a lot faster. I can actually max out all my cores now whereas on CFS I'd always get less than 100%.
    Strange, because I have no problems with CPU usage. It seems two Gentoo users have problems.

@Deanjo

EDIT:

Deleted my bull xd

However, flash problems are flash problems :>
    Last edited by kraftman; 16 September 2009, 06:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
    Been using it for a week. I don't notice any difference in interactive stuff, but my PC's already fast.

What I DO notice is that CPU-intensive things (emerge, folding-at-home, etc.) run a hell of a lot faster. I can actually max out all my cores now whereas on CFS I'd always get less than 100%.

With all due respect to Ingo and Linus, if I can't max out my CPU on a CPU-bound non-interactive program just because of your scheduler, then your scheduler sucks horribly.
    I noticed that too. For example, a kernel build with "make -j2" now finishes faster than -j2 or -j3 did before. With -j2 I get 100% CPU load now. Before, even with -j8 the CPU load was 95-97%. And the funny thing, even though now load is maxed out, the desktop stays responsive. Before, even if it wouldn't max out the CPU, the desktop would lag.

Also, another thing is that moving an mplayer window around doesn't result in the video skipping anymore; the video always plays smooth no matter if you move the window or not (just like in MS Windows.)

However, the Catalyst (fglrx) drivers have problems with this scheduler. OpenGL apps tend to hang and can't be killed. Con suspects a race condition in the Catalyst drivers that are brought forward by the scheduler (as he already suspected and wrote about in the FAQ.)
    Last edited by RealNC; 05 September 2009, 03:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X