X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    It seems bfs is a mess:

@RealNC

I really recommend you to try a normal distro (with sane config...), before you post a thing, because it seems you've got something really messed up...
    I know how to configure a kernel. And I had those problems with openSUSE too.

@Ant P.

Strange, because I have no problems with CPU usage. It seems two Gentoo users have problems.
    Way to extrapolate. "I have no problems therefore the rest of the world doesn't either."

(Snipped the rest of this nonsense.)

I recommend reading up on this issue because I'm in no mood to start googling and copy&pasting for you. This issue has been there since the first time Kolivas solved it with his -ck tree (which got largely ignored by most devs since their so-called "desktop" consists of an xterm and emacs running on 10000$ hardware.) He worked hard and got far. Hearing this from you is insulting his much appreciated work. Also read up on the extreme performance gains Android users get with BFS.
    Last edited by RealNC; 08 September 2009, 11:59 AM.

Comment

That's an awful lot of rhetoric coming from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. Insulting my choice of distro? Ugh, grow up.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        I know how to configure a kernel. And I had those problems with openSUSE too.

Way to extrapolate. "I have no problems therefore the rest of the world doesn't either."

(Snipped the rest of this nonsense.)
        I wonder, because you had problems even with Alsa. "I have problems therefore the rest of the world also does". Oh, where's your config? :>

I recommend reading up on this issue because I'm in no mood to start googling and copy&pasting for you. This issue has been there since the first time Kolivas solved it with his -ck tree (which got largely ignored by most devs since their so-called "desktop" consists of an xterm and emacs running on 10000$ hardware.) He worked hard and got far. Hearing this from you is insulting his much appreciated work. Also read up on the extreme performance gains Android users get with BFS.
        I will try myself, but CFS does job very well here. I don't appreciate this mans work. However, it can change

@Ant P.

That's an awful lot of rhetoric coming from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. Insulting my choice of distro? Ugh, grow up.
        The point is it can be something wrong with your config. Eh, who's talking about?

Oh, I probably know what you mean, but I prefer to see improvements on paper, because I don't believe in Con's sixth sense.
        Last edited by kraftman; 09 September 2009, 08:41 AM.

Comment

@Ant P.

The point is it can be something wrong with your config. Eh, who's talking about?

Oh, I probably know what you mean, but I prefer to see improvements on paper, because I don't believe in Con's sixth sense.
          I'm talking about a process going from taking 18 hours to run to 12 hours.

Or are you saying all the Folding@Home users on Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora, Arch also have a "broken config" too?

Comment

Originally posted by Ant P. View Post
            I'm talking about a process going from taking 18 hours to run to 12 hours.

Or are you saying all the Folding@Home users on Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora, Arch also have a "broken config" too?
            In Ingo's benchmarks CFS does much better. I would appreciate if you can show me some links. Links related to those reports you mentioned. Btw. something good can result from comparing those two schedulers, because Ingo is open for improvements.
            Last edited by kraftman; 08 September 2009, 02:27 PM.

Comment

In Ingo's benchmarks CFS does much better. I would appreciate if you can show me some links.
              Okay. Here's some real world numbers, perhaps now you can also show some links where CFS is better outside of cherry-picked benchmarks?

Comment

If you are not affected by this issue, there's no reason to participate in solving it. This is not a court and we don't have to prove to you that we're not lying.

Comment

If you are not affected by this issue, there's no reason to participate in solving it. This is not a court and we don't have to prove to you that we're not lying.
                  So only the other party needs to give proof to back up their point of views? Sounds like an interesting "debate".

Comment

I'm sure nobody's lying here, but some problems can be related to something else.

@Ant P.

It seems this person ran RT kernel, some other people were using default settings. There's nothing interesting.

...perhaps now you can also show some links where CFS is better outside of cherry-picked benchmarks?
                    It seems Ingo's benchmarks are quite objective. The most interesting would be Con's benchmark results. However, I can realize it's hard to measure some things.

Btw. someone noticed:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=125243507622544&w=2 :>
                    Last edited by kraftman; 08 September 2009, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Oh well, all I can do is demonstrate a 50% performance improvement. I can't cure blind fanboyism from people who refuse to even look for themselves, and so I am done in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X