Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    • Built-in adblocker.
    Is there a NoScript equivalent for Opera? That in combination with Adblock is essential for me.
    amd64 Qt4 builds
    Although having a "native" kde interface (especially the Save As dialog) would be awesome.. I'll have to check it out

Comment

Originally posted by krazy View Post
      Is there a NoScript equivalent for Opera? That in combination with Adblock is essential for me.
      You can modify script behavior with, F12 > Edit site preferences

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        I wonder how long before ad blocking programs are subject to a lawsuite from the advertisers as they are offering a product that directly hurts the advertisers revenue. Admittedly this will probably first happen in the States.
        Hard to find a target with open source software. It's just a case of an outdated business model really. I'm surprised TiVo hasn't been targeted yet though.

Comment

It's built-in. Disable Javascript globablly (Preferences -> Advanced -> Content) and enable it only for sites you wish (F12 -> enable Javascript).

Comment

From a cutting edge developer's perspective there is just a sigh indicating, 'Finally, SVG animation and SVG font embedding and XSLT are here (the most important features).'

As for the other features, I am reminded of the saying, "Beauty is only skin deep."

Opera still crashes with some xsl pages.

Comment

amd64 Qt4 builds
              Really? If Opera finally has a native interface that isn't just a bad emulation like Firefox 2 was, instead of shipping with that joke "Windows Native" theme, then they've finally fixed the #1 thing I hate about it the most.

Comment

It's built-in. Disable Javascript globablly (Preferences -> Advanced -> Content) and enable it only for sites you wish (F12 -> enable Javascript).
                Does that mean if I enable javascript for a web 2.0 site, it also enables javascript for the third party stuff like obnoxious ads?

Noscript for Firefox is better than that. It lists the various servers that were downloaded from for this page and lets you enable/disable javascript for each.

Comment

Originally posted by StringCheesian View Post
                  Does that mean if I enable javascript for a web 2.0 site, it also enables javascript for the third party stuff like obnoxious ads?

Noscript for Firefox is better than that. It lists the various servers that were downloaded from for this page and lets you enable/disable javascript for each.
                  Opera has a Greaselike-compatible extension API. These two scripts looks similar to what you describe.

Check out the forums, there are tons of other extensions worth looking into. Firefox is more flexible, true, but I've yet to find a (useful) extension that doesn't have a direct equivalent in Opera.

Edit: fixed links.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    I wonder how long before ad blocking programs are subject to a lawsuite from the advertisers as they are offering a product that directly hurts the advertisers revenue. Admittedly this will probably first happen in the States.
                    Advertisers hurt their own revenue by being excessively intrusive, excessively annoying, and slowing load times by ridiculous proportions.

You'd think a business model that puts a lot of effort into "market research" would recognize that repeatedly showing adds that people hate is detrimental to their advertising business. Even if the ads aren't outright blocked they are more apt to be ignored with prejudice because of the frequency of bad experiences from [potential] customers.

Flashing high contrast colors, telling users they're infected, blasting users back 10 feet with unexpected audio, waiting excessively longer to view a page with ads, spyware... I could go on for days. Many people don't even trust ads enough to even click on them when something looks interesting to them.

Three most pushed buttons on your TV remote? ch-up, ch-down, and mute. Making your ads 10 times louder didn't get them heard. It got them muted. When I need to make a collect call? I hit 0. I hate those ads so fucking much.

Advertisers and content providers need to man up and say no. I won't run your ad because it gets us blocked (loss of revenue). Sorry you can't run that ad on EZFM 106... it is what makes people use mp3 players exclusively in their cars. Sorry we think this ad sucks so bad that it causes people to ch-up/down or mute at a commercial break. Sorry your ad suck so bad that even honest citizens are turning to torrents.

If advertisers didn't cross the line so frequently it wouldn't be so much of an issue. People wouldn't go out of their way to make a browser support blocking (I know Opera has it built in but most browsers don't). I used to add a firewall rule for the ad servers that were bad enough. I still saw many ads and mostly I was ok with that. Eventually it became more of a chore than I wanted to deal with. The result? All adds get blocked because I switched to ABP and NoScript. Effective advertising? I think not, it really is their own damned fault for not having standards that people can at least tolerate.

/rant

Comment

Hard to find a target with open source software. It's just a case of an outdated business model really. I'm surprised TiVo hasn't been targeted yet though.
                      IIRC TiVO doesn't block the commercials it has the ability to 30 second jump and doesn't do it automatically. Much like a person would have to close a pop up window. ReplayTV however was in dir straights of loosing their battle with the media moguls on this and eventually went to a system that also needed continuous user intervention. There were also VCR's back the the 90's that had the capability of auto fast forwarding commercials but those as well fell back to a 30 second ff that required user intervention.

Comment

Working...
                      X