No announcement yet.

A New Development Release Of GNOME Shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I don't like patents either (ok, abusing patents).

The IEEE does more than that just counting patents, though. The biggest patten holder almost every yeas is IBM (they're also very proud of it, they kept mentioning it in Boblingen), for example, but they didn't get the first place, so there are other criteria (most important, the scientific value of its patent portfolio).

There was another survey, also by IEEE (I don't know of any ACM survey), and MS was voted as the best partner of scientific research communities.

Comment

Originally posted by urfe View Post
      There was another survey, also by IEEE (I don't know of any ACM survey), and MS was voted as the best partner of scientific research communities.
      That'd probably be because they make a profit pretty much always and pour in tons of money to research communities even during recessions.
      Doesn't imply they're innovative, still.

Comment

The truth is that money is needed for most of the research, I agree (as that's my area. And we do Linux + embedded). I also know we had a lot of MS PR people calling us since the resession started The survyes are older, though. 2007, 2008 etc.

I do agree that investing heavily into research communities is one way of getting a nice portofolio of innovative ideas that doesn't actually reflect a companys true value.
        That said, I do trust IEEE and MS and I don't doubt that they have the funding for buying all the academic brains out there that are able to produce nice ideas. It's about money and not ideology.

Comment

I don't doubt that they have the funding for buying all the academic brains out there that are able to produce nice ideas. It's about money and not ideology.
          But still the community of opensource have more guys around. But seriously, what important innovation did MS do the last year?

Comment

The truth is that money is needed for most of the research, I agree (as that's my area. And we do Linux + embedded). I also know we had a lot of MS PR people calling us since the resession started The survyes are older, though. 2007, 2008 etc.
            They don't afaik do that much charity though, they invest in research because they predict they can make a profit by getting to share the results. It's a bit like have a lab full of brilliant scientists and the faculty head gets his name in every released paper for doing nothing at all. :3 (except funneling money that other people invest in the research scientists below him do) Would you call the faculty head innovative? Or is it just the scientists?

Comment

That's excatly what I said . Except all companies to this.

Comment

That's excatly what I said . Except all companies to this.
                Heh, even a lot of academics are ran with the idea of gaining funding. The end result of a lot academic research is to simply find more ways of generating revenue.

Comment

I'm impatient to test Gnome Shell and Mutter, I hope this will be enough for me, thus I will finally get rid of Compiz Fusion.
                  Not that I dislike it, but it's still not has stable as it should be for a regular use.

Comment

Originally posted by spykes View Post
                    I'm impatient to test Gnome Shell and Mutter, I hope this will be enough for me, thus I will finally get rid of Compiz Fusion.
                    Not that I dislike it, but it's still not has stable as it should be for a regular use.
                    I keep reading that compiz is not stable enough. Seriously I wonde what's the problem? All the versions 0.8.x worked perfectly for me for everyday use.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                      I keep reading that compiz is not stable enough. Seriously I wonde what's the problem? All the versions 0.8.x worked perfectly for me for everyday use.
                      I'm using it every days on a machine that never reboots... After some days (or maybe weeks), it happens to crash leaving my windows frozen without decoration.
                      Even if I just need to restart Compiz to recover my desktop (which is quite easy through the fusion-icon menu), it's always a painful situation.
                      It may be due to a memory leak in a particular plugin, I don't know...
                      Anyway it's still not as rock-solid as I would expect it to be.

Comment

Working...
                      X