A New Development Release Of GNOME Shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by urfe View Post
    So functionality is not one of the main criteria for a working desktop? We can't have both?
    It is well known that Gnome often doesn't get new features because it's too difficult for the user. Please, get your head out of the sand.

Have you seen the Applications menu? Why do you need:
    1 click on Activities
    2 - animation - (expose-like effect)
    3 click on more to see all current registered menu items
    4 - get a menu that covers all your workspaces -
    5 find what you were looking for?
    It's the entire easy to understand approach towards "I want to edit a file." and "I want to browse the web" that needs to get a little into you face because it's an important and big part of the usability philosophy. It's the Gnome's new idea of using a computer, instead of using a DE. A user should never need to think about the DE. The user should think about the tasks that he or she wants to accomplish on a computer today and not what fucking button to click. This is also touch screen heaven. Please also look a little at the positive part? Gnome is for people that do not want and need to understand how a computer works, just like you would not want to be forced to know how you car works in detail from the inside out. <_<'

The activity bar is only shown when you click on it... It's only there to launch apps. Have YOU looked at Gnome-shell yourself?

And what is T?
    Software evolves. Buy a 5$ GPU that does have working 3D drivers in Linux -_-' But maybe you have to time to provide 2D code? If not then just shut up and fuck of, really. Change can be positive too.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      now compare that with KDE 4.
      Are you talking about 4.0 specifically, or 4.x? KDE 4.2 and 4.3 are just as good as, if not better than, any version of KDE 3.x or GNOME has ever been.

Comment

Imo it's a very good thing gnome-shell exists no matter whether it dies or not. Software developers are all too scared to try out new concepts as is, just look at the UI's nowadays. They're all the same on every damn operating system. Why not stand up to the challenge of trying to design the next generation's UI that everyone else will try to copy when it's done? Even if it fails, it gives important experience in that the direction obviously isn't a good one and the next attempt will have to go into yet another. Change is good.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          Imo it's a very good thing gnome-shell exists no matter whether it dies or not. Software developers are all too scared to try out new concepts as is, just look at the UI's nowadays. They're all the same on every damn operating system. Why not stand up to the challenge of trying to design the next generation's UI that everyone else will try to copy when it's done? Even if it fails, it gives important experience in that the direction obviously isn't a good one and the next attempt will have to go into yet another. Change is good.
          Nailed it! Not only GUI's but computers too. Everthing is so rusted together in place and copied to death. When did we lose the innovation? Oh wait... Micro-... yeah >.<

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            If not then just shut up and fuck of, really. Change can be positive too.
            I agree 1000% with all of your statements but everyone has different views, we (the Linux guys) know that better than everyone and because of that he have so many options. So to insult in such a way someone other's views is at least unexcusable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragoran View Post
              For this to work reliably you need input redirection in X which is still not done (being worked on thought).
              yeah i know, but until you have redirection you can try to do it the hacky way
              + i think you might be able to do it with multiple cursors that are available with the next xserver release and mpx...

Comment

If not then just shut up and fuck of, really
                Now that you insulted me several times I finally acknowledge that all my experiences and preferences regarding DEs and Gnome's future are wrong. How could I have ever dared to state that intrusive menus and resizings are disrupting the workflow on that desktop? Thank you, good sir.
                Last edited by urfe; 30 August 2009, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Micro-... yeah >.<
                  Yes, let's blame it on Microsoft. Except that IEEE evaluated MS and said it's no. 1 in innovation (second year in a row). I guess this surely cannot be, I mean academic organizations surely have no clue...

Last edited by urfe; 30 August 2009, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by urfe View Post
                    Yes, let's blame it on Microsoft. Except that IEEE evaluated MS and said it's no. 1 in innovation (second year in a row). I guess this surely cannot be, I mean academic organizations surely have no clue...
                    Actually it mostly said that Microsoft is the no. 1 in patents. Since they try to mostly patent everything probably including your mom, that's no wonder. It doesn't technically say anything about innovativity, especially in the US, unless you count in juridical innovativity.

Comment

Yes, I don't like patents either (ok, abusing patents).

The IEEE does more than that just counting patents, though. The biggest patten holder almost every yeas is IBM (they're also very proud of it, they kept mentioning it in Boblingen), for example, but they didn't get the first place, so there are other criteria.
                      There was another survey, also by IEEE (I don't know of any ACM survey), and MS was voted as the best partner of scientific research communities.

Comment

Working...
                      X