Mac OS X 10.6 Brings Serious Performance Gains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by qwerty View Post
    IMHO the problem is on HOW the article is written, in this case.

On the Michael work i see this kind of statement:

"A MUST BUY"...
    " If you are interested in purchasing Mac OS X 10.6, it is available through Amazon.com for just $25 USD."

Please, make benchmarks, it's ok, we like it, but try to not make any mistake like this; because, IE, you forgot to mention that it's NOT legal to use Osx on non Apple branded PC.

Apple Hardware DO NOT cost like a normal Pc hardware...

You forgot to mention the most IMMENSE restriction about this software product: you have to buy Apple Hardware to work with.
    So you mean that Michael's words should be something like:
    So if you don't care about spenading an enormous amount of money on restricted hardware and software and if you find proprietary software so attractive so to can't live without it (in other words if you are a Mac OS X user) and are at all concerned about the performance of your system blah blah blah...
    Well it doesn't change anything man. There are reasons to exist both users who use free software and users who use window$ and Maco$X. To repeat them all the time is tiresome.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      Btw. GPL restrictions serve community and Apples restrictions serve Apple.
      The GPL serves the FSF nothing more. Every companies contribution to the linux kernel for example serves their product.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        i think macos 10.6 is optimizes to an FBO based rendering like "Xreal" not old-style rendering like "nexuiz".
        Again, you think, and your wrong. Read the developer papers on OS X before assuming because your assumptions have no basis in fact.

Learn about the cutting-edge new features of macOS that you can use to build powerful apps and compelling games.
        Last edited by deanjo; 29 August 2009, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          The GPL serves the FSF nothing more. Every companies contribution to the linux kernel for example serves their product.
          Your habbit to begin flame-wars and to convert threads goes well deanjo but how convining can be someone who accepts eagerly the so restricted licenses of Microsoft and Apple when judge GPL negative?
          Last edited by Apopas; 29 August 2009, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            How proper is for someone who accepts eagerly the so restricted licenses of Microsoft and Apple to judge GPL negative?
            As someone who has worked under all of those licenses I have every right to be negative about them. If I had my way, everything would be public domain.

Code is nothing but a form of math. Imagine what the world would be like if someone put restrictions on the ability to add 2+2.
            Last edited by deanjo; 29 August 2009, 12:12 PM.

Comment

As someone who has worked under all of those licenses I have every right to be negative about them.
              It is, I just said you are not convincing by using your right. Especially you.

If I had my way, everything would be public domain.
              With words is easy, your attitude though with the people/software/licenses which at least try to do that, says the opposite.

Code is nothing but a form of math. Imagine what the world would be like if someone put restrictions on the ability to add 2+2.
              Oh I couldn't agree more, but that's exactly what the proprietary software, that you defend, does. Because of that they got an X bigger than OSX's one from me.

Comment

So you mean that Michael's words should be something like:

Well it doesn't change anything man.
                I totally disagree: it change A LOT.

Benchmarks are welcome, but advertising and supporting Locked-in and restricted products on a site like this one, it's an absurd, IMHO.

Comment

With words is easy, your attitude though with the people/software/licenses which at least try to do that, says the opposite.
                  It's a completely unrealistic goal anyway.

Comment

Oh I couldn't agree more, but that's exactly what the proprietary software, that you defend, does. Because of that they got an X bigger than OSX's one from me.
                    And I have to disagree with you. If I put out code free of any restrictions my goal is to benefit the end user, not political agendas. If someone wants to use my code and want's to slap it in a proprietary app so be it. This philosphy has worked well for sqlite which is everywhere and the end result is everybody gains.

Comment

And I have to disagree with you. If I put out code free of any restrictions my goal is to benefit the end user, not political agendas. If someone wants to use my code and want's to slap it in a proprietary app so be it. This philosphy has worked well for sqlite which is everywhere and the end result is everybody gains.
                      So you want to benefit the end user without adding restrictions. Nice and welcome. But the restrictions your code will have when someone uses it for its proprietary app don't matter? Are they for the genearl benefit? Like that you produce much more restrictions than you intented to do when you offered the code without any at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X