Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac OS X 10.6 Brings Serious Performance Gains

Phoronix: Mac OS X 10.6 Brings Serious Performance Gains

While our focus at Phoronix is on testing hardware under Linux, we remain friendly and interested in other BSD and UNIX operating systems too, including Mac OS X . With the launch of Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" we have been particularly interested in it considering the technological advancements that have been made in this update thanks to their large focus on improving the performance of Mac OS X. With that said, we have spent all week working on a grand Mac OS X benchmarking showdown by comparing the performance of the retail build of Mac OS X 10.6.0 to the earlier Mac OS X 10.5.8 through a number of different quantitative tests. We firmly believe that as of right now these are the most detailed desktop performance numbers available concerning Snow Leopard, but we already have more figures on the way. We have performance numbers from not just one Mac computer, but two different setups. Here's to the first 60+ tests we ran!

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great write up Micheal, FYI the OGL regessions are a "Doh" flub (grrr damn nda's). 10.6.1 should fix it.

Comment

I hope other systems will also be 64 bit? Btw. isn't there a mistake in OpenSSL test? My result is ten times better (Arch Linux) XD
      Last edited by kraftman; 29 August 2009, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Makes me want to try a Mac.

"We were quite appalled with multiple tests exhibiting nearly 50% performance boosts over Mac OS X 10.5.8"

I don't think appalled means what you think it does

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          i wait for the test macos vs ubuntu9.10 on an nvidia VGA.

i think ubuntu will win most of the benchmarks.
          Probably except some SQL benchmarsk due to some change.

Comment

I have to agree. The performance improvement looks nice, but 64-bit Ubuntu should still kick its butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Erikina View Post
              I don't think appalled means what you think it does
              Maybe, maybe not. Who know what Michael meant to write, dictionary meaning is anyway http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/appalled

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                Maybe, maybe not. Who know what Michael meant to write, dictionary meaning is anyway http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/appalled
                Eh, that sentence didn't come out how I intended it to, but that's just what happened after working on this article the past ~18 hours straight. Anyways, made a simple change to fix it up.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  "FYI the OGL regessions are a "Doh" flub (grrr damn nda's). 10.6.1 should fix it. "

LOL..... NDA?... LOL

realy there is no need to explain and 10.6.1 will have other regessions with or witout the OGL fix.

the regession is simpel OpenGL3.1 do not work on the same time on the same VGA with OpenCL!

Wow! You really are a complete DUMB ASS that knows NOTHING about openCL. Really you have NO CLUE. Not one test utilized openCL. If there is no openCL code to be ran then there is NO loss of openGL rendering due to the shaders being used for openCL. Please Qaridarium, try to keep your comments on subjects that you might actually have a clue about. Clearly GPU computing is not one of them. Applications don't "automagically" use openCL.

Comment

BTW Michael, did you hold down the "6" and "4" keys during startup when benching the mac mini 2? Otherwise it will default to 32-bit mode. Only Xserves default to 64-bit.

Alternatively you can use a nice little applet to do this to boot in 64-bit mode:

Last edited by deanjo; 29 August 2009, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X