Mac OS X 10.6 Brings Serious Performance Gains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by qwerty View Post
    A little example: you CAN'T do any benchmark with OSX if do not buy his Intel PC hardware, that is a perfectly a clone of a normal PC. It's NOT legal to use Osx on normal PC. It's a stupid RESTRICTION.
    No more stupid then the restrictions in place by the GPL. You have to follow their terms and conditions as well.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Nothing would ever improve if you didn't compare your solution to the alternatives. Competition breed innovation.
      The basic problem is: Osx it's NOT an alternative to anything. It's a closed system, you cannot install it on the hardware that you want. You have to buy an Apple branded hardware with EXACTLY the same hardware on it. And i do not mention the stealing method used to close opensource software with BSD license.

This is an absurd restriction to the freedom, contrary to the FOSS that must be punished starting from Linux and FOSS aimed sites like this one.

Of course my 0,2 $

Comment

No more stupid then the restrictions in place by the GPL. You have to follow their terms and conditions as well.
        Do not mix problems here, please.

I say about HARDWARE branded that MUST be used to play OSx, otherwise it's ILLEGAL to do also any benchmark. BSD vs GPL flameswar it's not the problem here.

Anyway: IMHO, in the end, i stated here in this thread to Micheal because I think that Apple DO NOT need any free advertising here on Phoronix. They are already so good on hype and marketing, really the best in the world on this, FAR BETTER then their software and hardware manufacturer ability.

Comment

And i do not mention the stealing method used to close opensource software with BSD license.
          The intent of a BSD license is that you can do whatever you want with the code, as long as you don't sue the original developers or use their names in advertising. Building closed software on top of the BSD code is one of the expected uses. The X/DRI/Mesa stack mostly uses the BSD-like X11 license for the same reasons.
          Test signature

Comment

Oh plz really don't enter into this!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              The intent of a BSD license is that you can do whatever you want with the code, as long as you don't sue the original developers or use their names in advertising. Building closed software on top of the BSD code is one of the expected uses. The X/DRI/Mesa stack mostly uses the BSD-like X11 license for the same reasons.
              I know about this.

The problem is to make a complete business model on this, where a community make and share their works, and there is some Company that arrives to close their work without any contribution. Also for this reason exist the GPL license, you know.

But it's note the topic here, please do not take my words to create another Bsd vs GPL flamewar.

I only say primary about the fact that Apple do not need here any advertising for free. Their Os can legally works ONLY on branded hardware, so there is a BIG restriction, *also* to make benchmarks.

In example: Michael, do you have an Apple branded hardware to make your benchmark on OsX?

Is a paradox, IMHO, to make free advertising to Apple product when their make this kind of basic restriction. Especially on a FOSS-Linux related site like this one.
              Last edited by qwerty; 29 August 2009, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Anyway: IMHO, in the end, i stated here in this thread to Micheal because I think that Apple DO NOT need any free advertising here on Phoronix.
                Hmm I can see your point here. But if the article includes both Linux and Maco$X benchmarks and some tests prove to run faster in Apple's system then it will be again an advertisement for them. So we can not avoid some advertisemnets unfortunately if we want to have real world benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  i think macos himself use openCL features and OpenGL 3.0+ features and the drivers do not support this fully.
                  *sigh* you really don't have any idea what openCL does do you nor do you have any clue on OS X? Again Qaridarium, you offers reasons that are not even close to being the truth based on nothing but what ever your mind fantasizes about . You might as well say that the moon phase is what is slowing down openGL performance. If you had said GCD maybe the problem then you might have at least a educated guess as to what is happening. Unfortunately that would be wrong as well though as the OGL benches that were run are hardly (if any) multithreaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                    But if the article includes both Linux and Maco$X benchmarks and some tests prove to run faster in Apple's system then it will be again an advertisement for them.
                    IMHO the problem is on HOW the article is written, in this case.

On the Michael work i see this kind of statement:

if you are a Mac OS X user and are at all concerned about the performance of your system -- whether that means being a benchmarking junkie like us or just looking to squeeze the most potential out of your system whether it be for audio encoding, ray-tracing, image editing, or other computational tasks -- Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" is a must buy.
                    "A MUST BUY"...
                    " If you are interested in purchasing Mac OS X 10.6, it is available through Amazon.com for just $25 USD."

Please, make benchmarks, it's ok, we like it, but try to not make any mistake like this; because, IE, you forgot to mention that it's NOT legal to use Osx on non Apple branded PC.

Apple Hardware DO NOT cost like a normal Pc hardware...

You forgot to mention the most IMMENSE restriction about this software product: you have to buy Apple Hardware to work with.

Comment

Anyway: IMHO, in the end, i stated here in this thread to Micheal because I think that Apple DO NOT need any free advertising here on Phoronix. They are already so good on hype and marketing, really the best in the world on this, FAR BETTER then their software and hardware manufacturer ability.
                      Probably many people have similar feeling like yours (me included). However the most annoying things in my opinion are benchmarks which means usually nothing when comes to system to system comparison (maybe except graphic performance). Btw. GPL restrictions serve community and Apples restrictions serve Apple.

Comment

Working...
                      X