No announcement yet.

Pidgin 2.6 Released, Brings Voice & Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet fancy Moses! I thought this would NEVER happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
      it's unfortunate, but I've lost a lot of respect for the pidgin devs.
      I remember them complaining about not wanting to do audio/video support, and how it wasn't a priority etc..

WELL, it looks like they're pulling a microsoft (i.e. improving something ONLY because the competition is beating you - like internet explorer)

It seems Pidgin has only improved because soon they won't be used anymore.

(Pidgin developer here)

That's not really true. The current VV work started as 2008's GSoC project, but since it's basically one guy's effort it just took a long time. Pidgin is almost entirely volunteer based, so people tend to work on things that they want to work on.

Comment

Originally posted by kcheung View Post
        (Pidgin developer here)

That's not really true. The current VV work started as 2008's GSoC project, but since it's basically one guy's effort it just took a long time. Pidgin is almost entirely volunteer based, so people tend to work on things that they want to work on.
        Things tend to depend on the point of view and Linux users for some weird reason seem to see the world as if they were paying customers. Strange, huh?

Comment

I have tested empathy a few weeks ago but I couldn't see any advantages over pdigin. In fact it even couldn't handle file transfer and Video was XMPP only.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
            Nice! XMPP video is the only thing I need at the moment, since all those I regularly talk with are on Google Talk. Of course, Google Talk might use a different video protocol than XMPP... I read something about that.
            Google talk interoperability is still sort of hit-or-miss depends on what version of the dependent libraries you have. Using Ubuntu Jaunty and some packages from karmic I was able to view someones webcam who was using the windows web client, but the other side couldn't see mine. Audio seems to work too.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              Things tend to depend on the point of view and Linux users for some weird reason seem to see the world as if they were paying customers. Strange, huh?
              Actually many are way more demanding than paying customers ;-)

Comment

Empathy's lack of support for meta-contacts is pretty annoying. It's also very far down in the future on their roadmap, which is even more annoying... So far pidgin does what I want. Too bad I still have to keep Ekiga and Skype around though. I'd prefer to drop skype...

Comment

Would it now be possible to make a libpurple plugin for Skype?

Comment

It will be a cold day in hell when Skype's protocol gets reverse engineered. I wouldn't mind if such encrypted secret protocols were made illegal.

A better idea would be to have an alternative become popular. But that will need some major marketing effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
                      I wouldn't mind if such encrypted secret protocols were made illegal.
                      Actually imo it's a good thing that VOIP communication gets encrypted when traveling over the Internet. It's just slightly frustrating that Skype goes through the "security through obscurity" approach and doesn't tell anyone else what they actually do... Ergo no third-party clients.

Comment

Working...
                      X