Development Work Towards GIMP 2.8 Solidifies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unimatrix View Post
    Exactly, it makes a mess on the desktop. To make things worse I usually need Gimp when I'm doing something, meaning that lots of windows will already be open. It's very easy to lose Gimp's windows, and you'll spend lots of unnecessary time clicking around the desktop to get to them. It's simply annoying.
    How can you lose windows that are On Top? As soon as you select an image window, the utility windows will pop up with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
      How can you lose windows that are On Top? As soon as you select an image window, the utility windows will pop up with it.
      If I waste 2 seconds doing that it pisses me off, because I know I wouldn't need to if they'd just give me an option to put the damn thing in one window.

Comment

If I waste 2 seconds doing that it pisses me off, because I know I wouldn't need to if they'd just give me an option to put the damn thing in one window.
        The only thing you do is Alt-Tab to the image you want to edit, and you're all set. You would have to do this in a single window setup too. There is no difference between utility windows and a single window from a user interaction perspective.

Comment

The only thing you do is Alt-Tab to the image you want to edit, and you're all set. You would have to do this in a single window setup too. There is no difference between utility windows and a single window from a user interaction perspective.
          Yes you need to alt-tab through 3 different windows, usually selecting the wrong one and yet again wasting precious time.

Multiple windows may be a good idea in theory, but in practice it's just horrible.

Comment

Yes you need to alt-tab through 3 different windows, usually selecting the wrong one and yet again wasting precious time.
            Then your window manager doesn't differentiate between application windows and utility windows. Try Metacity or Windows. Metacity will only let you choose normal application windows with Alt-Tab. To select a utility window (or a panel, dock, or the desktop), you can use Ctrl-Alt-Tab.

Comment

Then your window manager doesn't differentiate between application windows and utility windows. Try Metacity or Windows. Metacity will only let you choose normal application windows with Alt-Tab. To select a utility window (or a panel, dock, or the desktop), you can use Ctrl-Alt-Tab.
              Even if this sort of workaround would make things any less messy, I am not seriously going to switch my window manager just because one program desperately wants to stand out as lesser software. I'd rather Wine Photoshop or something.

Comment

Try this if you want to give GIMP a real try.

Even if this sort of workaround would make things any less messy, I am not seriously going to switch my window manager just because one program desperately wants to stand out as lesser software. I'd rather Wine Photoshop or something.
                GIMP doesn't default to using utility windows for the tools. You can set this in edit -> preferences -> window manager and change the hints to utility window. Also, you can merge the two utility windows into one by dragging each tab into the other window.

Best,
                Liam

Comment

Well, I need Gimp. It's a fine piece of software which lets me do the things I need to do for my job. It has a lot of filters and some nice editing tools. It's about 700 dollars cheaper than Photoshop. So no, I'm not going to Wine Photoshop.

Comment

But it is not hard to do it in one window! Many people want one window, maybe the majority, but the arrogant deaf developers don't do it!

They should just give the option to do it.

Comment

U are probably using Compiz, which is configured by default to show utility windows while Alt+Tab and scale, but it's really easy to change that within the configuration manager.

I also had problems with the multi window character of Gimp. But after they changed the tools window type to utility and compiz learned to deal with it (ther where no problems with metacity from the beginning) I have exactly 0 problems. But of course it took a little additional time to loose my original antipathy.
                      Last edited by LostinSpacetime; 18 August 2009, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X