Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME's Key Rack & Phosh Mobile Wayland Shell See New Releases

Phoronix: GNOME's Key Rack & Phosh Mobile Wayland Shell See New Releases

This Week in GNOME is out with their newest issue to detail changes made by various GNOME components over the first few days of July...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I tried phosh on a couple devices, sadly, the compositor itself is kinda buggy to say the least, and the performance of everything else in the ecosystem is quite terrible. Not like any of this matters since linux mobile in general is a pretty terrible experience.

Comment

Anyone else thought they had a stroke reading the title?

Comment

suspend support from the lock screen
        Oh, finally! I do hope that there's a way to bypass auth prompts to suspend if a blocker is present (even when it's not), because it used to require upwards of having to auth twice in order to suspend if the screen has already been locked.

A way to inhibit automatic suspend would be the ultimate solution, so let's see if it happens in the next 10 years...

optional dark style for mobile data quick toggles
        Mobile data quick toggles? More like a "modem" toggle, I am still not seeing a way to disable mobile data independently from other functionality.
        Last edited by sbin; 06 July 2024, 08:15 AM.

Comment

It seems like for all of these mobile desktops/OSs, the most complete list of supported devices is found with PostMarketOS.

Which is sad, because why can't these people figure out how to get the cameras working?

Comment

I've long wondered why nobody builds a secrets / keyring app that utilizes the keepass database format. There's a large cross platform ecosystem there and tons of example code or options to fork existing projects. I thought about this again when I read the last article with a Key Rack update. Then just a few days ago I read a blog post about a new KDE Keychain app in the works that is doing exactly that.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
              It seems like for all of these mobile desktops/OSs, the most complete list of supported devices is found with PostMarketOS.

Which is sad, because why can't these people figure out how to get the cameras working?

https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Devices
              cameras often need proprietary firmware and can be in general a PITA getting it to work

Comment

they should release this as an android launcher, it would probably be hit. then also it would be a lot less buggy and would have much better hardware support.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                  cameras often need proprietary firmware and can be in general a PITA getting it to work
                  That's discouraging. Cameras have become non-negotiable on phones these days.

Comment

Originally posted by ol3geezer View Post
                    they should release this as an android launcher, it would probably be hit. then also it would be a lot less buggy and would have much better hardware support.
                    What are you referencing, A) Gnome keyrack, B) phosh

A) I dont think it would be major, some people may use it, but it's not really that stand out in features.
                    B) It wouldnt, the only reason people like phosh is because the bar is so low for generic linux it's insane.

Comment

Working...
                    X