Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 6.2 To Support libinput's Auto-Scrolling Feature

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 6.2 To Support libinput's Auto-Scrolling Feature

It's been a busy start to July with KDE developers tackling more features for Plasma 6.2 while continuing to deliver fixes to the modern KDE Plasma desktop stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The auto-scroll is a nice feature that has been available on Windows for a while so I like having it on Plasma too.

Comment

I'm a fan of reports like this. It's practically all bug fixes, polish, keeping up with standards, and ways the user can set themselves up for their preferred experience.

I'm laughing my ass off about how the one KDE update that's mainly bug fixes doesn't get the Phoronix standard KDE headline mentioning all the bug fixes

Speaking of bug fixes, I'm hoping that either KDE will get HDR to just work on KDE without needing to use Gamescope or that Valve will fix the Gamescope/Wayland input issue where games started from desktop Steam in a Gamescope window don't receive input from game controllers (someone reported it months ago). Either one would be good enough. Having to switch sessions to play most games because my controller isn't detected in HDR games is probably the most frustrating thing about using HDR with KDE.
      Last edited by skeevy420; 06 July 2024, 09:33 AM.

Comment

in what world does the window manager need to care about autoscroll? that is solely the responsibility of the application. now, because kde has done this, there will be 100 open bug reports on every single wayland compositor in order to implement this feature with the 'bug' status. it is not a bug to have reasonable separation of responsibilities. just take a look at i3 and sway as perfect examples on how to fight this sort of fight.

i wonder which kde application really needed this and whether its too late to fix?

Comment

Originally posted by ol3geezer View Post
          in what world does the window manager need to care about autoscroll? that is solely the responsibility of the application. now, because kde has done this, there will be 100 open bug reports on every single wayland compositor in order to implement this feature with the 'bug' status. it is not a bug to have reasonable separation of responsibilities. just take a look at i3 and sway as perfect examples on how to fight this sort of fight.

i wonder which kde application really needed this and whether its too late to fix?
          This world. If the window manager doesn't do it then every app has to do it which makes every app a Wayland compositor situation where some Wayland compositors have HDR and others don't. Ideally, quality of life features like autoscroll should be part of Wayland so apps can behave similar from one to the next. It's the apps behaving similar from one to the next that has me the most excited about this.

Comment

Originally posted by ol3geezer View Post

‚Äč
            Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

This world. If the window manager doesn't do it then every app has to do it which makes every app a Wayland compositor situation where some Wayland compositors have HDR and others don't. Ideally, quality of life features like autoscroll should be part of Wayland so apps can behave similar from one to the next. It's the apps behaving similar from one to the next that has me the most excited about this.
            It's part of libinput. This change is to the Mouse KCM to expose the option, for both Wayland and X11.

Comment

It is interesting that KDE has feature release while KDE 6.0.0-6.1.2 had never save session working
              under Wayland session and at least 4x broke that totally under X11 session.
              I have seen a lot of window toolings not working ... strange effects like an okular window
              staying in front (till deleting and restarting okular) ... missing or displaced windows and
              those problems are still there with 6.1.2.
              So why not concentrating to get the real and necessary features ripe and working once and
              for all under KDE 6.* but reiterate bug patterns again ... and again ... and again ...
              and ignoring bug reports:
              Would be nice to see something like "oh, thought that was gone before - will look at
              it closer" or even "this bug should be solved with current KDE neon - please test".
              And when people like features and not saying somthing about the current instabilities - are
              they unsing different DEs and just like a feature they never experienced on KDE?
              Yea, this IS a strange world ...

I was very happy using KDE 5 for several years switching from XFCE - and I hope KDE 6
              will at some point be stabe for my workflow as KDE5 was ... but currently one should
              really concenrate on bug fixing and just creating features for workarounds of
              current problems when e.g. session save etc. do no longer work and give some help
              about workarounds, so KDE neon (User Edition, which should be stable enough
              to work with) is still and stays usable while fixing minor bugs ...
              and currently this is not yet the mode reached - unfortunately.
              And bug reprots are of limited importance when much bigger problems happen
              while trying to trace minor things ...

Comment

Plasma 6 (6.1.1 right now) on fc40 is working great. I see no bugs and crashes on multiple devices. I think Plasma is on a very good development cycle since last several years. And I hope they stay on this path. Big thanks to the whole team.

Comment

Originally posted by JMB9 View Post
                  It is interesting that KDE has feature release while KDE 6.0.0-6.1.2 had never save session working
                  under Wayland session and at least 4x broke that totally under X11 session.
                  It works for KDE applications which have explicit support for this but proper support is still blocked on upstream Wayland protocols for this. The way KDE does it right now is a bit of a hack/cheat where they just open up all of the applications you had open before and expect that application to be able to restore its state just fine. Sometimes this just works, the app opens and its at whatever screen it was before, but sometimes it doesn't. Also sometimes the screen positions / window positions might not be exactly right, etc.

To fix this properly requires a combination of working with application developers and also upstream work on Wayland.

KDE is doing their best given the present circumstances.

EDIT: Also pro tip, you will probably have to go into the desktop session settings and manually exclude any applications you don't want to open. If I don't do this for Alacritty I get a ton of terminal windows opening the next time I log in (not exactly what I wanted).
                  Last edited by ahrs; 07 July 2024, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ahrs View Post

It works for KDE applications which have explicit support for this but proper support is still blocked on upstream Wayland protocols for this. The way KDE does it right now is a bit of a hack/cheat where they just open up all of the applications you had open before and expect that application to be able to restore its state just fine. Sometimes this just works, the app opens and its at whatever screen it was before, but sometimes it doesn't. Also sometimes the screen positions / window positions might not be exactly right, etc.

To fix this properly requires a combination of working with application developers and also upstream work on Wayland.

KDE is doing their best given the present circumstances.

EDIT: Also pro tip, you will probably have to go into the desktop session settings and manually exclude any applications you don't want to open. If I don't do this for Alacritty I get a ton of terminal windows opening the next time I log in (not exactly what I wanted).
                    I disabled it as soon as I got the update. Just because it was running when I logged off doesn't mean I want it running when I log back on. I appreciate the thought behind this feature, but I curated my startup programs a long time ago and I don't want KDE to accidentally catch a buggy app when shit goes wrong since half the time I'm logging out or rebooting is due to some funky bug. When you play modded games on Linux things don't always work right.

Ironically, disabling it causes my desktop to freeze on a black screen when I'm logging in until I jiggle my mouse to trigger the mouse grow effect and then the Plasma desktop loads

Comment

Working...
                    X