X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 2.28 Beta Arrives, Release Next Month

Phoronix: GNOME 2.28 Beta Arrives, Release Next Month

W..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

is gnome 2.30 really gonna be called gnome 3.0? We don't bump up major version number for no reason, wonder what do they get in their sleeves

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
      is gnome 2.30 really gonna be called gnome 3.0? We don't bump up major version number for no reason, wonder what do they get in their sleeves
      Well it's no secret: Gnome Shell (that is going to go beta next week) and Zeitgeist. Those are the base for Gnome 3.0 and should bring a revolutionary user model and a new way to manage documents.

Comment

Originally posted by vinc View Post
        Well it's no secret: Gnome Shell (that is going to go beta next week) and Zeitgeist. Those are the base for Gnome 3.0 and should bring a revolutionary user model and a new way to manage documents.
        I haven't seen anything in the Gnome 3.0 roadmap that I would exactly call "revolutionary". It's more of a gradual evolution. I think Ryan Paul over at Arsetechnica summed it up well:

Unlike KDE 4.0, which produced impressive innovation and accelerated development at the cost of user trust and overall desktop stability, the GNOME 3.0 plan is less ambitious, largely builds on the GNOME desktop environment's current strategy, and avoids significant user-visible changes or disruption to basic desktop usability.

Comment

gtk3? That might be a good call.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
            Yuppers, http://blogs.gnome.org/lucasr/2008/07/10/gnome-30/

Comment

"avoid visible changes" ?!

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              ...and avoids significant user-visible changes...
              When I see the current Gnome Shell and how it works, I fail to see how he can say that.
              http://people.igalia.com/apinheiro/f...ities-view.png
              But wait, it seems this Arstechnica's article is a year old now...
              Last edited by spykes; 13 August 2009, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spykes View Post
                When I see the current Gnome Shell and how it works, I fail to see how he can say that.

But wait, it seems this Arstechnica's article is a year old now...
                Gnome shell doesn't offer much more then current desktop workspaces. Again nothing really revolutionary here as other OS's / de's have offered similar features for quite some time now.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  Gnome shell doesn't offer much more then current desktop workspaces. Again nothing really revolutionary here as other OS's / de's have offered similar features for quite some time now.
                  The same can be said of KDE4 in this case. Anyway, the visual changes are already there, so the previous statement is no more really valid.
                  Last edited by spykes; 13 August 2009, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spykes View Post
                    The same can be said of KDE4 in this case. Anyway, the visual changes are already there, so the previous statement is no more really valid.
                    Well compared to the complete revamp from scratch of KDE's subsystems, Gnomes changes are less aggressive and carry a relatively small delta compared to KDE 4's goals. There isn't too much legacy code in KDE 4.

Comment

Working...
                    X