Darktable 4.8 Pulls AI Feature After Discovering It Doesn't Work Well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darktable 4.8 Pulls AI Feature After Discovering It Doesn't Work Well

Phoronix: Darktable 4.8 Pulls AI Feature After Discovering It Doesn't Work Well

While more software piles on AI features these days, today's release of the Darktable 4.8 RAW photography software has removed one of its AI features after realizing it only delivers mediocre quality...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Darktable is amazing. I haven't been doing photography in a while so I'm curious what I've missed. Some AI stuff could be really nice, such as degraining or sharpening a bit

Comment

Finest clickbait. What a shame - on you!

Comment

The best developer left darktable. Check out https://ansel.photos/, a fork with all non-functioning nonsense removed and based on solid understanding of colour theory. Currently in alpha but works for me.

Edit: added based on bit
        Last edited by bitvic; 22 June 2024, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bitvic View Post
          The best developer left darktable. Check out https://ansel.photos/, a fork with all non-functioning nonsense removed. Currently in alpha but works for me.
          darktable is perpetually alpha, judging by the sounds of it this would be a beta in terms of quality lol

Comment

The best developer left darktable. Check out https://ansel.photos/, a fork with all non-functioning nonsense removed. Currently in alpha but works for me.
            who left ? sorry I know nothing about darktable

Comment

The best developer left darktable. Check out https://ansel.photos/, a fork with all non-functioning nonsense removed and based on solid understanding of colour theory. Currently in alpha but works for me.

Edit: added based on bit
              Could you elaborate on the "all non-functioning nonsense" a bit? And don't you think it's a bit disrespectful of all the other darktable devs working their asses off while also having the decency of not constantly bitching and insulting others like "the best developer"?

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin_L View Post
                Lmgify

What happens when a gang of amateur photographers, turned into amateur developers, joined by a bunch of back-end developers who develop libraries for developers, decide to work without method nor structure on an industry software for end-users, which core competency (colorimetry and psychophysics) lies somewhere between a college degree in photography and a master’s degree in applied sciences, while promising to deliver 2 releases each year without project management ? All that, of course, in a project where the founders and the first generation of developers moved on and fled ?

Even if just 10% is true he is right!

Comment

Originally posted by _ONH_ View Post
                  Even if just 10% is true he is right!
                  And we can see him being "constructive" all over the article by using kind words like "that’s where we lost our beloved copy-pasted code pissers" or "But it’s far funnier to shit up the interface, so it will stay there for a long time".

He most likely is a very intelligent person and is very good at programming, but in a the real world you also need to realize that it's made up by humans and not emotionless robots.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin_L View Post

And we can see him being "constructive" all over the article by using kind words like "that’s where we lost our beloved copy-pasted code pissers" or "But it’s far funnier to shit up the interface, so it will stay there for a long time".

He most likely is a very intelligent person and is very good at programming, but in a the real world you also need to realize that it's made up by humans and not emotionless robots.
                    his choice of language might be questionable, but his message is pretty clear.

Comment

Working...
                    X