Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell Accent Color Support Merged For GNOME 47

Phoronix: GNOME Shell Accent Color Support Merged For GNOME 47

In addition to Mutter seeing Wayland DRM lease protocol support merged, another long-in-development patch series hit GNOME Shell this morning: accent color support!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would've preferred that they did what Gradience or Zorin OS themes do: Take a fixed amount of colors in both light and dark variants and tint the entire window. Changing the color of only a small part of the ui, while the rest retains the dull grey color which I can't stand, is nothing to be excited about.
    Last edited by user1; 20 June 2024, 11:33 AM.

Comment

that's a feature we certainly need.

Commercial developers focus on providing an unified look across all devices to make it recognizable. Open Source developers come up with ever more creative ways to prevent unified look from happening.

"it's certainly not enough to have the freedom to choose whatever compositor and theme you wish, certainly we should accommodate the ability to butcher the theme with whatever is your favorite color as accent"

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
        that's a feature we certainly need.

Commercial developers focus on providing an unified look across all devices to make it recognizable. Open Source developers come up with ever more creative ways to prevent unified look from happening.

"it's certainly not enough to have the freedom to choose whatever compositor and theme you wish, certainly we should accommodate the ability to butcher the theme with whatever is your favorite color as accent"
        OK

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
          I would've preferred that they did what Gradience or Zorin OS themes do: Take a fixed amount of colors in both light and dark variants and tint the entire window. Changing the color of only a small part of the ui, while the rest retains the dull grey color which I can't stand, is nothing to be excited about.
          Gradience and Zorin OS did not do the leg work to plumb everything in properly.

With a filly open system you dont have to just do hacks on the top layer to work around shortcomings in lower layers, but you can dig in and fix those layers too.

What you are seeing in that merge request is a final patch following work done in multiple other modules which took a long time to complete. I dont think this side covered the css variables and css-color modules work that was done in gtk (mainly because it wasnt done by the one superstar canonical developer that Michael follows - he really needs to update his feeds lists), but I called it months ago that this work would build off that.

Once that work was completed, the rest of the merge requests were updated and while they still had a lot of work done (look at the merge requests to see how much), it was completed fairly quickly.

(as for other merge requests, I am not surprised that Michael hasnt commented on another feature in development that is not by the Daniel Van Vugt but will be a fan favourite on places like here. I wont mention which one it is, but its not the HDR one or the triple buffering one by Dan.)
          Last edited by You-; 20 June 2024, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Finally!

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

Gradience and Zorin OS did not do the leg work to plumb everything in properly.

With a filly open system you dont have to just do hacks on the top layer to work around shortcomings in lower layers, but you can dig in and fix those layers too.

What you are seeing in that merge request is a final patch following work done in multiple other modules which took a long time to complete. I dont think this side covered the css variables and css-color modules work that was done in gtk (mainly because it wasnt done by the one superstar canonical developer that Michael follows - he really needs to update his feeds lists), but I called it months ago that this work would build off that.

Once that work was completed, the rest of the merge requests were updated and while they still had a lot of work done (look at the merge requests to see how much), it was completed fairly quickly.

(as for other merge requests, I am not surprised that Michael hasnt commented on another feature in development that is not by the Daniel Van Vugt but will be a fan favourite on places like here. I wont mention which one it is, but its not the HDR one or the triple buffering one by Dan.)
              Then maybe instead of spending all that time on the work to color a tiny portion of the ui that you don't even see 100% of the time, they could've, you know, just hand pick some colors for the entire window in both light and dark variants and implement a setting in appearance section to set them? (Of course with testing the colors for consistency beforehand). I mean, Libadwaita already has a recolor api (or whatever its called) to change the color of the window background to any color you want. Look at how Amberol music player makes use of this api for example.

I don't know about you, but I find it absurd that so much time (both in Gnome and on the xdg standard) is spent on coloring a tiny portion of the ui that you don't even see 100% of the time. I also absolutely hate the state of dark mode on Linux in general. Everything is just shades of grey, shades of grey and even more shades of grey. I think Windows 11 does dark mode way better with its Mica ui. It tints the entire window background accordingly to your wallpaper and it works great, looks amazing and doesn't suffer from any consistency and contrast issues (by consistency I mean just the Mica / WinUI 3 stuff, not the legacy win32 ui's that don't have dark mode).

P.S, I don't know why you brought Daniel van Vugt to this discussion, but I agree that he's not the only dev that is worth bringing to everyone's attention.
              Last edited by user1; 20 June 2024, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Look at how it was done in the old days. Even Windows 95 does this better. All that was missing was to implement a default profile and then overrides for each application if you want to. Why not improve on what it's there instead of reinventing the wheel over and over again. But what else can you expect when people grow up using android and assuming that applies to the desktop as well..... By the way. This was written on Android so excuse any possible typos.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

I have this feature already in Ubuntu 22.04. Was that just an Ubuntu patch?

Comment

Only on Phoronix can you find people who have something negative to say about accent colours of all things. Jesus.

Comment

Working...
                    X