Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IceWM 3.6 Released With A Few New Features & Fixes

Phoronix: IceWM 3.6 Released With A Few New Features & Fixes

IceWM 3.6 is out today as the newest version of this lightweight X11 window manager...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So I installed this from the AUR git package (and the extra themes, too) and played around for about a half and hour and it was fun for a bit of nostalgia, but everything was so small on my monitor. Using xrandr to zoom in worked but had ugly blur and using .Xresources to set the DPI to 192 introduced odd graphical glitches over the clock and it didn't seem like the CPU widgets scaled. Some of the themes helped with scaling due to the font sizes used. If it wasn't such a pain to configure. I just mean that scouring over text files and changing things wasn't as fun as I remember it being

Anyways, I took a screenshot of the default 3.6 desktop with no modifications made since the article is using a theme and is from 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      So I installed this from the AUR git package (and the extra themes, too) and played around for about a half and hour and it was fun for a bit of nostalgia, but everything was so small on my monitor. Using xrandr to zoom in worked but had ugly blur and using .Xresources to set the DPI to 192 introduced odd graphical glitches over the clock and it didn't seem like the CPU widgets scaled. Some of the themes helped with scaling due to the font sizes used. If it wasn't such a pain to configure. I just mean that scouring over text files and changing things wasn't as fun as I remember it being

Anyways, I took a screenshot of the default 3.6 desktop with no modifications made since the article is using a theme and is from 2017.
      Alas some of these old DE/WM have not aged well. They still have some edge use cases on low powered/low res things (smart mirror?) but they really have become more a labor of love fro the devs. I remember the good old days of ICE and Enlightenment... and quite happy to stay in today's world

Comment

I wish someone would update WindowMaker to the modern standards. My first WM i've seen in real life pretty much a quarter of century ago :E

Comment

Unfortunately many of these options, up through mid weight DEs like Xfce suffer from poor visuals out of the box. Xfce can look quite nice with a good theme and icon set, but out of the box they just look so dated that I'm sure it turns off some potential users.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
            but out of the box they just look so dated that I'm sure it turns off some potential users.
            We just need to wait a little for Microsoft to set the new standard for what "looks dated" or "modern". Then the Xfce default theme will look attractive to people again. The daft cycle then will continue.
            Last edited by kpedersen; 16 June 2024, 03:44 PM.

Comment

XFCE is awesome, and is the only WM I've used for many years now. It is simple, efficient, and elegant. And best of all it still uses X11 so everything from the oldest to the newest software works with it. Here's a screenshot with my own custom theme, that I've been developing ever since GTK2. The only pain going forward will be converting it to GTK4, but anything using GTK2/GTK3 will be facing the same work. The second best thing is that there are no convoluted and fragmented menus, and no ridiculous spinning/flashing kindergarten blocks or anything else ridiculously unnecessary. It's just an efficient desktop, where most all software can be accessed in 3 mouse clicks or less.

By the way, I tried to just upload a .png or .jpg file, but no matter how small I made it the upload tool said there was only 421KB or 512KB left, even when I compressed it down to 339KB. So all I can do is post a link to it on Mega. I have no idea what the problem is, but I don't have anymore time to mess with it.

Last edited by muncrief; 18 June 2024, 03:20 PM. Reason: Tried to link to Imgur so picture would appear but it still doesn't work. I tried a bunch of ways, wrapping link and embedded code, etc. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Unfortunately many of these options, up through mid weight DEs like Xfce suffer from poor visuals out of the box. Xfce can look quite nice with a good theme and icon set, but out of the box they just look so dated that I'm sure it turns off some potential users.
                I'm not trying to imply that IceWM looks bad. A lot of its themes looks quite nice on my system, but nothing scales up or down very well and per-theme font configuration isn't the most user friendly thing. Given some time I could turn it into something that looks damn nice and competes with what I can achieve on KDE with 10 minutes in the settings UI.

What made it feel old school was how typing in the menus to find programs works. It's not like a modern start menu where you type "Ka" and you're presented with a list of programs that start with Ka or spell out "Kate" and get a list of different ways to start Kate. No, you type P and you get Programs. You type sy to get System and you get Science because typing S cycles through things that start with the letter S and nothing in the top level menu starts with Y so Y does nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                  XFCE is awesome, and is the only WM I've used for many years now. It is simple, efficient, and elegant. And best of all it still uses X11 so everything from the oldest to the newest software works with it. Here's a screenshot with my own custom theme, that I've been developing ever since GTK2. The only pain going forward will be converting it to GTK4, but anything using GTK2/GTK3 will be facing the same work. The second best thing is that there are no convoluted and fragmented menus, and no ridiculous spinning/flashing kindergarten blocks or anything else ridiculously unnecessary. It's just an efficient desktop, where most all software can be accessed in 3 mouse clicks or less.

By the way, I tried to just upload a .png or .jpg file, but no matter how small I made it the upload tool said there was only 421KB or 512KB left, even when I compressed it down to 339KB. So all I can do is post a link to it on Mega. I have no idea what the problem is, but I don't have anymore time to mess with it.

https://mega.nz/file/MbAkhDJR#rnVAZ_h997QXqpEJaAacY74OBBHcjfES8DmnyPehY Xg
                  I use IMGUR since it's free

EDIT: That's like a nice blend of XP and 7. I miss happy colors in the system tray. Plasma 6 is so dull and lifeless down there. Even the weather is monochrome

Last edited by skeevy420; 16 June 2024, 03:43 PM.

Comment

EDIT: That's like a nice blend of XP and 7. I miss happy colors in the system tray. Plasma 6 is so dull and lifeless down there. Even the weather is monochrome
                    Thank you so much for posting an actual picture of my desktop skeevy420. Mega is free as well for the small amount of data I have on it, but I know it costs after that. By the way, how did you get the images to appear instead of the link? And is there some way to simply upload a small .jpg or .png file on Phoronix? I tried both the "Upload Attachments" and "Share Pictures" tool and as I said even when I compressed the image down to 339KB it still said the attachment was too big, even though it appeared to be saying I had 421KB to work with. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong, and I remember having problems before, but don't remember if I solved it because I rarely upload pictures.

And yes, my theme is primarily an amalgamation of Windows XP and 7. I first started working on it because when I began using Linux as my primary desktop I chose Ubuntu, and good god was it ugly. I just could never understand why they chose dirty brown and orange for their default theme, but when I searched for a blue theme there simply weren't any. Even ones with the word "blue" in them usually only had small specs of it. I also didn't like the convoluted menus even back then, so I switched to Xubuntu to get a simple desktop that was infinitely customizable.

It certainly wasn't easy, but I started with a theme called Greybird, unaware of the way GTK worked and that I'd have to recreate every tiny slice of graphics just to change colors. And then of course when I was finally done with the GTK2 version GTK3 was released and I had to go through most of it all over again! And good lord, now I'm eventually going to have to recreate it again for GTK4.

But now I run CachyOS with XFCE and have a desktop that's easy to use and beautiful. And run an OS that I consider the best the world has to offer at this moment.
                    Last edited by muncrief; 16 June 2024, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X