GNOME Papers Document Viewer Making Progress As GTK4-Based Evince Fork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Papers Document Viewer Making Progress As GTK4-Based Evince Fork

Phoronix: GNOME Papers Document Viewer Making Progress As GTK4-Based Evince Fork

GNOME's longtime document viewer, Evince, was recently forked as GNOME Papers and saw its first release a few weeks back. This new GNOME document viewer has been ported from GTK3 to GTK4 and also brings an improved user interface and other refinements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Evince was supposed to be ported to GTK 4 ages ago but some devs decided to fork and RIIR, hence Papers. Papers is significantly nicer to use than Evince and it's a lot smoother too.

Comment

This was sorely needed

Comment

Good, I been looking for another app for a while to open my shaman spell books.

Comment

I remember that the developer when he started working on this port of evince to gtk4 went from something like 0.5fps on his risc-v test machine to 60fps:

For example, Evince renders 0.5 FPS when you scroll a PDF document. That motivate me to port several GNOME apps to GTK4 since GTK4 use OpenGL by default to render its widgets.

Now Evince on GTK4 can render 60 FPS with 4K resolution on HiFive Unmatched after addressing several performance issues.
          ‚Äč
          A reminder of just how much faster and more performant gtk4 can be. Over a 100x speedup is not bad going.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
            I remember that the developer when he started working on this port of evince to gtk4 went from something like 0.5fps on his risc-v test machine to 60fps:

A reminder of just how much faster and more performant gtk4 can be. Over a 100x speedup is not bad going.
            I was about to diss this project calling it a vanity yet-another rust port fork but I use mupdf precisely because of the opengl viewer so that's actually a pretty big deal for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
              Good, I been looking for another app for a while to open my shaman spell books.
              Are you Gnome CEO?

Comment

What a waste of development resources.

GNOME is deprecated.

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post
                  What a waste of development resources.

GNOME is deprecated.
                  What pdf reader do you use? If it is one used by Mint or MATE, this will be over 100x faster in some circumstances. If it is a KDE/Qt one, then good on you, you're in the wrong topic.

and even if this was a hostile fork (which it isnt), it would still not be a waste as the developer needed a pdf reader for his risc-v project and he found porting the gnome app to it to be the preferred use of his resources/time.

Comment

I hope for an "Open" button somewhere, but this is probably futile...

Comment

Working...
                    X