Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 24.10 Seeing More Desktop Installer Improvements, Improving The Steam Snap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 24.10 Seeing More Desktop Installer Improvements, Improving The Steam Snap

Phoronix: Ubuntu 24.10 Seeing More Desktop Installer Improvements, Improving The Steam Snap

Last month some of the Ubuntu 24.10 desktop plans were laid out such as NVIDIA Wayland by default, a new welcome wizard, and more. Canonical's Oliver Smith has posted an update today around some of the ongoing Ubuntu 24.10 desktop enhancements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can't believe they're sill working on the steam snap. I wonder for how long before they inevitably deprecate it for flatpak.

Comment

Originally posted by cooperate View Post
      Can't believe they're sill working on the steam snap. I wonder for how long before they inevitably deprecate it for flatpak.
      With most apps flatpak IS better but desktop steam really wants that medium layer where its not the DE but has more control than a normal app. Also considering that snap is not just their app distribution format but the building block for their atomic systems its probably one of the better uses of it in terms of consumer-user level programs

Comment

Yeah, it's been horribly broken since it launched. They shouldn't foist that POS on their users who will inevitably think the problem they are having is a "Linux problem", when the flatpak or native distro packages actually work on the same game.

Comment

I hope they can bring back BTRFS with proper subvolume support back. I found BTRFS fits better for my desktop user scenario than other FS, even ZFS isn't on par with it.

Comment

The upgrade to 24.04 was hell for me due to the enforcement of snap. Guess this release will really be the last. I just got to suck it up move distros.

Comment

It's very troubling for Ubuntu users who don't want to use Snap - that Canonical insists on snap despite the huge number of ppl who don't want it - who disable/delete it or otherwise do whatever steps to remove it or prioritize flatpak over snap. Ubuntu has probably lost users just based on their insistence on snap, alone.

Comment

LOL.....uhhhh....never.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post

With most apps flatpak IS better but desktop steam really wants that medium layer where its not the DE but has more control than a normal app. Also considering that snap is not just their app distribution format but the building block for their atomic systems its probably one of the better uses of it in terms of consumer-user level programs
                  This. Snap is a more cohesive and comprehensive approach to sandboxing and atomizing not just apps but the entire OS than Flatpak could ever be. Without becoming essentially Snap by another Red Hat / IBM moniker.

Comment

Originally posted by antonyshen View Post
                    I hope they can bring back BTRFS with proper subvolume support back. I found BTRFS fits better for my desktop user scenario than other FS, even ZFS isn't on par with it.
                    Was this ever a thing? I know it was never the default filesystem, but I guess you mean that if you chose it in the installer it would auto create a few subvolumes for you? Curious how it was a better fit for you on desktop than ZFS (since Ubuntu ships the modules for ZFS)?

Comment

Working...
                    X