Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 127 With 32-bit x86 Linux Pretending To Be "x86_64" To Reduce Fingerprinting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    Asking as a noob: will this "64" thing affect what binary a website offer you? Say, you are in a 32bit system but the site keep offering you a 64bit one?
    yes ....
    anyway all people should stop using 32 bits OS and processors, it is outdated.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
      ... I don't know how and why you know me, a person who signed up a month ago ...
      I think everyone else can easily come up with the reason why that is, you just need to read a few comments on phoronix ...
      I don't hate anything or anyone ... other than the president and the government ...
      Of course you are better then all Linux users because you only hate the government.
      Linux users on the other hand vehemently hate:
      Ha, I was already wondering where the generalization comes, that is always too easy to disprove.
      ... but I'm too lazy to think harder.
      As always ...

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronos View Post
        anyway all people should stop using 32 bits OS and processors, it is outdated.
        Yeah you probably couldn't sleep the last 3 months just because someone in the world used a 32 bit system, those mean bastards, we should ask the US government to send some more killer drones to get rid of those evil people.

Comment

Why am I not using Chrome/Chromium? Because for historical reasons I still use Firefox. And somehow I have no reason to change it. It would be more work than good.
          And also because Chrome can do this: img

I really don't need some fascists above me that allow me to open the number of tabs just by resolution.
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          Last edited by Rovano; 11 June 2024, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

One month, 29 months, whatever.
            I signed up here roughly 16 years ago. Quite the difference I'd say.
            Last edited by avis; 11 June 2024, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Why not strip the UA entirely to the minimum then? If we have to be so mad for the privacy.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
                Why not strip the UA entirely to the minimum then? If we have to be so mad for the privacy.
                because other browsers dont do it, it is all about the fingerprint.

Comment

The UA is only a small part of the fingerprinting algorithm. Probably changing it to 64 bit if you're really on 32 will make you more unique. Leaving it away will make you easily identifiable.
                  You can test it yourself: https://coveryourtracks.eff.org/ https://amiunique.org/fingerprint

The best thing you could do is perfectly simulating a Win 10 64 chrome header (including supported codecs, fonts, ...) but it might lead to some incompatibilities in the web. This might still be not perfect because of different CSS/DOM behavior in the browsers.

Comment

Because we still get a lot of legacy or sadly new websites that code with UA detection and do a lot of stupid things according to what they see there.

My most recent use of user-agent switcher is a website automatically redirect one to their "mobile" site if you are running with a "mobile" UA and their "desktop" site if you are running with a "desktop" UA. Then for some ridiculous stupidity the website is refusing to load their content in their "desktop" site because of "busy traffic".

In an ideal world, websites (and also software applications) will let people choose the UI density freely, instead of mandating one to the users. Yes, the true essence of "mobile" vs "desktop" UI is not dpi or font size. It is the optimal UI density difference due to fat finger on touchscreen vs mouse cursor pointer.
                    Last edited by billyswong; 11 June 2024, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

I don't know you, I don't know how and why you know me, a person who signed up a month ago, and certainly what I said doesn't apply to me.

That's my purse! I don't know you!
                      ‚Äč

The lady screaming that's my purse has lived in my head for over 20 years.

I don't hate anything or anyone in this world other than the president and the government of my country - but they are criminals and murderers and unfortunately I cannot do anything about that.
                      That probably describes a lot of us from a lot of countries. Over here, I'm more worried about the Orange Dumbass winning and my governor Sarah Sanders than I am my President. Between the shit show he inherited from the previous administration, the Clusterfuck Congress he has to work with, and the right wing activist Judiciary System attacking the progress our society has made over past 100 years, I think Joe Biden has done a pretty decent job.

Comment

Working...
                      X