Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 127 With 32-bit x86 Linux Pretending To Be "x86_64" To Reduce Fingerprinting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox screenshot is somehow the only viable browser screenshot tool out there. Every other browser either doesn't have one, or has one that's useless beyond what your OS can already do. The entire purpose of Firefox screenshots is that you can screenshot stuff outside of your viewport, yet the only other browsers that support the feature don't seem to understand this.

Originally posted by avis View Post
    Linux users on the other hand vehemently hate:
    • Closed source software specially Windows
    • Companies creating closed source software specially Microsoft and Oracle
    • Companies creating patented audio and video codecs
    • Companies not willing to fully support Linux
    • Companies profiteering off open source software while not giving back (enough)
    • Companies creating closed/patented hardware and IO
    • People/companies who file patents in general
    I agree with the sentiment here, but you are also well known on here for inflammatory statements disregarding Linux, despite using some flavor of *nix yourself. If you're going to willingly stoke the fire, don't be surprised when people you've never spoken to don't like you because of what you say.

That being said, personally I have no issue with proprietary software or hardware, as long as it either works on Linux or the company creating it doesn't actively stop it from working on Linux via Wine or some other means. As for the rest, codecs should be open source these days, but *only* because patent holders of such have proven to be trolls and generally unsavory people/companies who are awful to everybody, not just Linux users. Thus, they should have patent rights revoked IMO.

And companies don't have to fully support Linux, but according to some statistics Linux has roughly the same users that macOS does, and Linux doesn't require special hardware to install. The Windows 11 recall feature and windows 10 going EoL is going to push more people to at least try out Linux, and some of those will stay. I'm not saying we're going to suddenly become an extremely competitive OS, but the numbers are only going to keep going up as long as MS does really dumb things. I think there should be enough users by now for companies to start taking notice, and throwing some developers our way if they're already cross-platform between Windows and macOS.

I really, REALLY wish the Linux community wasn't so dumb when it comes to onboarding new users though. Idiots through and through. "Oh, just use the command line" to a new user who barely knows what a start menu is does NOT make them want to stay ffs.

Comment

I don't hate anything or anyone in this world other than the president and the government of my country - but they are criminals and murderers
      Do you have any idea how little that narrows it down?

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
        You'd think deprecation of Manifest V2 which severely limits functionality of adblockers would cause massive headlines and endless complaints

.. Crickets

https://developer.chrome.com/docs/ex...ation-timeline
        I don't care, I dont use Chrome...

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I don't care, I dont use Chrome...
          Having viable alternatives is a good thing

Competition is healthy for overall progress

Comment

You could ask ChatGPT if you have troubles distinguishing between X11 as a graphics API and your web browser identification (user agent) string.

And under Wayland you still have X11 in your user agent string (at least for Google Chrome, I'm too lazy to check Firefox).

Edit: just tested Firefox - X11 is still there regardless. No Wayland for you Wayland fans. Time to express your resentment and file bug reports against Firefox and Chromium.
            you missed the /s

Comment

Asking as a noob: will this "64" thing affect what binary a website offer you? Say, you are in a 32bit system but the site keep offering you a 64bit one?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                Asking as a noob: will this "64" thing affect what binary a website offer you? Say, you are in a 32bit system but the site keep offering you a 64bit one?
                In reality this is only a minor problem.
                Download User-Agent Switcher for Firefox. Easily override the browser's User-Agent string

In the height what is called the browser wars when Internet explorer was dominate you had to use a user agent switcher to use firefox and access particular sites. So for sites like you describe end user could use a user agent switcher to display 32 bit. But then you have remember this is Linux users and Linux get most if not all their applications by distribution, flatpak, snap. So Linux users rarely got to websites to download applications directly.

Also there is another issue a 64 bit Linux user for long list of different reasons may want the 32 bit version any how.

Lot of ways for 95%+ of the websites you visit the really don't need the user agent to contain the platform information at all. Lot of ways I would love to see browsers have universal agent that is displayed by default and you go to like the shield on firefox or site settings bit on control or equal to enable user agent string containing platform data. Basically make user agent switcher default feature of the browser.

The platform data in useragent switcher made more sense when flash on websites was way more common. HTML5 really did away with the majority of cases that need platform information in useragent in to put functional website in front of users. Yes the rarity of users need to download applications by browser on Linux makes the platform information in the useragent string mostly only useful for those wanting to track users. Yes the rarity means on Linux displaying platform information from browser really should be made optional switch. Display generic unless user sets otherwise is how Linux should.

Lot of ways this firefox change has not gone anywhere near far enough. Fingerprinting why do websites need to know difference between a Windows, MacOS and Linux end user majority of the time. For majority of websites it not to display the content.

Comment

You could ask ChatGPT if you have troubles distinguishing between X11 as a graphics API and your web browser identification (user agent) string.

And under Wayland you still have X11 in your user agent string (at least for Google Chrome, I'm too lazy to check Firefox).

Edit: just tested Firefox - X11 is still there regardless. No Wayland for you Wayland fans. Time to express your resentment and file bug reports against Firefox and Chromium.
                  yes X11 for firefox 126.0.1, plasma 6.0.5, wayland (openSUSE TW), intel arc a770... so mesa lemme check, well what do ye know?! 24.1.0 time to try some different games now....

[EDIT]

ah yeh bastard you went and checked later!

have a good one...

[/EDIT]
                  Last edited by cutterjohn; 10 June 2024, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                    Websites are unlikely to even have a 32 bit Linux build to offer in the first place.

Comment

me, a person who signed up a month ago
                      One month, 29 months, whatever.

Comment

Working...
                      X