Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 127 With 32-bit x86 Linux Pretending To Be "x86_64" To Reduce Fingerprinting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does it report client architecture at all? A web page has no business knowing that.

Comment

Originally posted by etam View Post
      They must release a patch version 127.0.0.1
      That would be a fun easter egg

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

X11 in your user agent string is enough to bereave you of any privacy.

I don't care about dead browsers and OSes, but I don't want to be identified easily or associated with one of the most hateful audiences on the Internet.
        I don't want to be identified easily or associated with one of the most hateful audiences on the Internet.
        That's rich, coming from avis

Spider_Man_meme.webp

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

X11 in your user agent string is enough to bereave you of any privacy.

I don't care about dead browsers and OSes, but I don't want to be identified easily or associated with one of the most hateful audiences on the Internet.
          avis finally admits X11 isn't private?!??! /s

Comment

Oh yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post

avis finally admits X11 isn't private?!??! /s
              You could ask ChatGPT if you have troubles distinguishing between X11 as a graphics API and your web browser identification (user agent) string.

And under Wayland you still have X11 in your user agent string (at least for Google Chrome, I'm too lazy to check Firefox).

Edit: just tested Firefox - X11 is still there regardless. No Wayland for you Wayland fans. Time to express your resentment and file bug reports against Firefox and Chromium.
              Last edited by avis; 10 June 2024, 03:06 PM.

Comment

I wonder what the user agent string is good for anyway? Back in the day, everyone stated "best viewed on Netscape Navigator". Today its only used for "please change your user agent to chrome or I pretend to not work for you". Sure it also saves half a click when you are presented with downloads for Linux instead of a list to choose from...

Why not call it a day and make everything "Chrome, latest, Win11"?

Comment

Originally posted by ol3geezer View Post

That's rich, coming from avis
                  I don't know you, I don't know how and why you know me, a person who signed up a month ago, and certainly what I said doesn't apply to me.

I don't hate anything or anyone in this world other than the president and the government of my country - but they are criminals and murderers and unfortunately I cannot do anything about that.

Linux users on the other hand vehemently hate:
                  • Closed source software specially Windows
                  • Companies creating closed source software specially Microsoft and Oracle
                  • Companies creating patented audio and video codecs
                  • Companies not willing to fully support Linux
                  • Companies profiteering off open source software while not giving back (enough)
                  • Companies creating closed/patented hardware and IO
                  • People/companies who file patents in general
                  Probably there's something else but I'm too lazy to think harder.

Comment

Has anyone tried replacing x86_64 with ARMv7? That's apparently the definition of a mobile user agent.

At least, that's my experience with various single-board computers.
                    Last edited by andreano; 10 June 2024, 05:23 PM.

Comment

As there is no place like home (well, except for ::1).

Comment

Working...
                      X