GNOME OS Continues Seeing New Features, New GNOME App for Viewing 3D Models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    I'm not sure that Gnome should develop their own applications...
    Its not developed "by gnome".

Its developed by a community member (or in other cases a group of community members) to scratch his/her own itch. It is designed to follow the gnome HIG and presented to the community as an option.

When making statements that are "gnome should" or "gnome shouldn't" it may be helpful to ask yourself what you consider gnome to be in that instance. Often it will be a word to separate you from a singular developer, othertimes it will be "gnome foundation", which are not involved in day to day development (their purpose being outreach, infrastructure and organisation, eg conferences).

Comment

I'm not sure that Gnome should develop their own applications. We have a 3d package called Blender to view 3d models. Similarly we have VLC for media playback. Gimp for photo editing.
      I feel that "toy" versions provided by the environment can be useful. For example Microsoft Paint is sometimes preferable to opening up a full blown Photoshop instance.

However Gnome will manage to make the "toy" versions so much more slower and drag in so many more dependencies than their "full fat" counterpart. Its the FOSS desktop way!

For example, I can almost guarantee the 3D model viewer will be heavier than Blender 2.4x and with a fraction of features. It will also pull in every media library known to GNU to render trivial .obj formats.

Originally posted by You- View Post
      it may be helpful to ask yourself what you consider gnome to be in that instance.
      ​An absolute mess. But thats beside the point. What is important is looking at ways to separate the crap parts from the slightly less crap parts. Sadly only commercial vendors seem to be attempting this as a symptom of trying to reduce scope in terms of support burden.
      Last edited by kpedersen; 08 June 2024, 11:03 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure that Gnome should develop their own applications. We have a 3d package called Blender to view 3d models. Similarly we have VLC for media playback. Gimp for photo editing.

They need to work on their core offering to keep up with Windows and Mac. The desktop, software installation GUI, settings and file manager. Maybe they can recommend things to install, but ultimately you don't know if I want a CD player, word processor, or a terminal app...
        I agree, a DE should excel with its limited scope core apps only and not bother with anything else, instead of being mediocre at doing everything including highly specialized things such as CAD…
        Last edited by rmfx; 08 June 2024, 12:01 PM.

Comment

You probably don't want to run Photoshop to view images, Blender to view 3d models or Word to view txt file. Simple version of applications where you can quickly view file, resize image or write text file are nice to have as well.

Comment

I feel like every year gnome comes with another default video player.

About CAD software on Linux, I personally think that unless all those free CAD alternatives join together in some kind of group, with support of the 3 main families (Debian, Fedora and Arch), then I think it's very unlikely to any one of then to get near the monopoly of Autocad in the professional area. It's currently in a much worse scenario for open source than office and image / video editors.

Comment

My understanding sysupdate is a very simple mechanism compared to ostree. What is the advantage to change to sysupdate?

Comment

A 3D viewer is a great idea, even better if it can convert between formats like Right Hemisphere's Deep Exploration. That tool was incredibly useful and is one of the big things missing from Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post
                  I feel like every year gnome comes with another default video player.
                  Totem has been the one and only default since the GNOME 2 days all the way up to now.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

However Gnome will manage to make the "toy" versions so much more slower and drag in so many more dependencies than their "full fat" counterpart. Its the FOSS desktop way!
                    So when has it happened that a "toy" gnome app is slower and heavier than a more fully featured counterpart?
                    Also, are you really saying that having dynamically linked or system provided libraries vs having static or app provided ones counts as a problem?

Comment

I'm not sure that Gnome should develop their own applications.
                      Why not?

The GNOME community is a large multi-products software vendor.

What advantage do you see in splitting the application development off into its own organisation?
                      Would the overhead of having a separate setup with own infrastructure, own funding, own legal entity, and so on, really be worth those advantages?

Comment

Working...
                      X