X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cl333r
    replied
    Originally posted by V1tol View Post

For many of us Linux desktop year happened many years ago. For iphone kids there is GNOME.
    Indeed, fake it till you eventually make it, in 20 years.

Leave a comment:

• varikonniemi
    replied
    Originally posted by EphemeralEft View Post

In what scenario(s) would multiple cursors in a single graphical session be better than multiple graphical sessions with a single cursor each? And would it be so much better that it justifies maintaining multiple fundamentally different paradigms of control?
    in cooperative use. It's not a common use case, but surely you must be able to think of situations where two cursors is needed and allows for a completely new dimension to using the computer.

If it was useless it would not have been implemented in x and wayland. From what i read for instance using mouse + wacom pen results in two cursors.
    Last edited by varikonniemi; 09 June 2024, 04:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by V1tol View Post
    For many of us Linux desktop year happened many years ago. For iphone kids there is GNOME.
    Depending on your definition of what "the year of the Linux desktop is", I agree that it could have already happened.
    One good metric is if Linux were to be commonly included as a pre-installed OS on desktop/laptop computers you get at big box stores, or as an option for online purchases. So, in going with that metric, we're not there yet. We're also not there yet if we regard Linux as the 2nd most popular OS after Windows (where you could basically interpret Linux as a formidable alternative). If trends with all current desktop OSes continues, I could see Linux surpassing MacOS.
    If we're including "impure" Linux (Android, WebOS, ChromeOS, etc) OSes then that would be around 2011, which is when Android started to become a decent experience.
    If we're talking when "pure" Linux became readily usable for the average person (so a usable desktop without the need of a CLI, no major driver issues on most consumer-grade platforms, and decent compatibility with Windows software) then I'd say that was around 2018. This is when most drivers got to be pretty mature for a good OOBE, Proton and DXVK were accelerating compatibility, and most DEs were stable with decent user-friendliness.
    If we're talking when pure Linux just started to become accessible to the average PC enthusiast, I personally believe that was around 2008, which for better or worse, is when Ubuntu really started to get a good grasp on a decent user experience, and consequently, got other distros to realize what they needed to do. There were still driver issues, not much Windows compatibility, and you had to break out the terminal once in a while, but if you had a wired network connection with basic peripherals, an all-Intel system, and no hard dependency on proprietary software, I'd say 2008 is right around the time when you could have a perfectly fine Linux desktop experience.
    If we're talking when Linux of any form is the #1 most popular OS, that will likely never happen.
    Last edited by schmidtbag; 09 June 2024, 08:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rovano
    replied
    Originally posted by Kjell View Post

Huh?..
    Simply put, some effects saved files to disk. You could feel it scarification. Now that save will be turned off because it's useless. Voila, improvisation is here.

Leave a comment:

• mrg666
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: KDE Plasma 6.1 Is Looking To Be A "Good One"
    Nate Graham thinks this is going to be a "good one" with a lot of new features
    I used 6.1 development branch with Neon and I agree. Looking forward to have 6.1 upgrade in FC40 after final release.

This is my favorite feature.
    Replace old "closest" and "natural" layout algorithms with new layout algorithm. The new layout algorithm tries to - use screen space efficiently, given diverse geometries of windows - be aesthetically...
    Last edited by mrg666; 09 June 2024, 06:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mrg666
    replied
    Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post

A touch screen laptop comes with two pointer devices built-in: the screen and the traditional mouse replacement (touch pad, stick, etc).

However, I don't think those result in multiple cursors
    My Thinkpad also has multiple pointer devices, touchpad and pointing stick, plus sometimes a Bluetooth mouse. I use multiple pointing devices on my mediacenter system too, a wireless touchpad/keyboard and USB mouse. They don't result in multiple cursors either.
    Last edited by mrg666; 09 June 2024, 05:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• anda_skoa
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Or, you know, plug in more than one mouse because there's no shortage of USB ports.
    A touch screen laptop comes with two pointer devices built-in: the screen and the traditional mouse replacement (touch pad, stick, etc).

However, I don't think those result in multiple cursors

Leave a comment:

• piotrj3
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

I have a answer to that one that I wish I did not know. Some of the really funky Point of Sales software where you have two registers on one computer using a single desktop.... Yes these are Linux based POS some of them are KDE for some unknown-ally strange reason.

I loved and even flexed how I can use multiple mice and keyboards together in Gnome X11 with the xinput create-master [name] and xinput reattach [slave device name or id] [master device name or id] commands. Making you able to use two mice with each having its own Keyboard focus. This was never or partly possible with a bug in Plasma 5 X11 as the Mouse Cursor did fight with the location. Its still kind of possible now in Wayland by having a Wacom Tablet and a Mouse, which automatically creates...

There is a single use case with drawing tablets and the like to have more than one mouse pointer.
    I would say weirdest case i ever saw, and actually was part of, was RDP-ing (or really more like VNC) into same system on same account. You kinda have a weird situation when 2 users affect same desktop and everything, but each user has own cursor.

Leave a comment:

• kylew77
    replied
    I haven't used KDE since the 3.x days, back then it was my go to. Seeing that now OpenBSD has KDE support and 7.6 will ship with the QT 6 based KDE 6.x series I look forward to trying out the KDE Stack once again this October.
    Last edited by kylew77; 08 June 2024, 07:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
    When exactly are two people using the same desktop at the same time?
    I have a answer to that one that I wish I did not know. Some of the really funky Point of Sales software where you have two registers on one computer using a single desktop.... Yes these are Linux based POS some of them are KDE for some unknown-ally strange reason.

I loved and even flexed how I can use multiple mice and keyboards together in Gnome X11 with the xinput create-master [name] and xinput reattach [slave device name or id] [master device name or id] commands. Making you able to use two mice with each having its own Keyboard focus. This was never or partly possible with a bug in Plasma 5 X11 as the Mouse Cursor did fight with the location. Its still kind of possible now in Wayland by having a Wacom Tablet and a Mouse, which automatically creates...

There is a single use case with drawing tablets and the like to have more than one mouse pointer.
    Last edited by oiaohm; 08 June 2024, 06:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X