KDE Plasma 6.1 Is Looking To Be A "Good One"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Or, you know, plug in more than one mouse because there's no shortage of USB ports.
    That's not going to give you multiple cursors without additional configuration and a huge hit to compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by EphemeralEft View Post

That's not going to give you multiple cursors without additional configuration and a huge hit to compatibility.
      That's a different issue. The issue at hand is, if it's supposed to be supported, it should be supported right.
      (What I will not argue is that some features do look like the devs had a contest about how to shoot themselves in the foot best.)

Comment

I think it's pathetic to try and argue that wayland should not be able to support multiple simultaneous input devices as first class citizens.

X11 it can be delegated to hack. But that's not today and what should be expected from today's standard.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
          I think it's pathetic to try and argue that wayland should not be able to support multiple simultaneous input devices as first class citizens.

X11 it can be delegated to hack. But that's not today and what should be expected from today's standard.
          In what scenario(s) would multiple cursors in a single graphical session be better than multiple graphical sessions with a single cursor each? And would it be so much better that it justifies maintaining multiple fundamentally different paradigms of control?

Comment

Originally posted by aviallon View Post

I've been exclusively using a linux desktop since 2019.
            No more Windows dual boot.
            I stopped dual-booting back around 2001... though, about a year ago, I did HP Restore Partition a hand-me-down machine which can't take more than 8GiB of RAM back to Windows 7 and then KVM-switch it together with this PC as a "no hassle, even if I refuse to use Steam as a Proton manager" way to play my GOG.com Windows games, and, about a month ago, I finished setting up and KVMing in an HP thin client with GeForce 4-comparable VIA Unichrome graphics to run Windows 98 SE.

(Now I just need to duplicate the support for MS-DOS, Windows 3.1, and Mac OS 9 from my retro-hobby desk to some more compact machines that can fit into my main desk's KVM spread and acquire something that can run Macintosh System 7. I've got a couple of alternative thin clients with Windows 98SE support and slower GPUs that add SoundBlaster Pro emulation for DOS, but they still lack Windows 3.1 video drivers.)

...I may just move my Power Mac G4 running Mac OS 9 over once I've managed to decide on a modern PSU to go with the "use a standard ATX PSU" cable I bought so I don't have to worry about aging capacitors in the part that has to be hammered by line current. (I'm still deciding whether to try to find a PSU with an exterior layout that matches Apple's plastic shroud or just take the shroud off.)
            Last edited by ssokolow; 08 June 2024, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

Huh?..
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

This explains it.

Comment

Originally posted by EphemeralEft View Post

In what scenario(s) would multiple cursors in a single graphical session be better than multiple graphical sessions with a single cursor each? And would it be so much better that it justifies maintaining multiple fundamentally different paradigms of control?
                Emulating two-player split-screen Amiga games. (The Amiga let you plug mice into both mouse/joystick ports. For example, The Settlers and Lemmings both support two-player split screen in their Amiga versions.)

Seriously, though, it's useful for stuff like shared whiteboard apps where multiple people have things like gyro-mice and they're in the same physical conference room.

X11 has Multi-Pointer X and there's apparently enough demand on Windows that articles like "7 Free Tools to Enable Two or More Mouse Cursors" get written. One of them (MouseMux) lists some examples of where it's useful on its website.

If you want to try it out, fire up an X11 session, plug in a second mouse, and then use xinput list, xinput create-master, and xinput reattach to split it off into a second cursor.

You only need an MPX-aware window manager if you want to have "one active window per xinput master" instead of sharing a single active window, and you only need MPX-aware applications if you want things within the same active window which span multiple mouse events (eg. click-dragging) to behave intuitively. (eg. MPX's creator demonstrated how an MPX-unaware GIMP could be used to make interesting shapes by drawing two curves and having GIMP fill the space between them as it thought the cursor was jumping back and forth very fast.)

...and "MPX-aware" basically just means "speaks XInput2 and doesn't blindly assume that all device IDs correspond to the same input master".
                Last edited by ssokolow; 08 June 2024, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Prominent KDE developer Nate Graham thinks this is going to be a "good one" with a lot of new features, better performance, and more.
                  Implicit in this statement is the acknowledgement that other releases were not "good ones".

Admitting it is the first step to correcting it.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                    >KWin should no longer crash when apps do weird things and for some reason two drag operations end up happening at once (Vlad Zahorodnii, Plasma 6.1.0. Link)‚Äč

This seems like a weird hack rather than a fix. If you have several people using the same desktop, being able to have 2 drag and drop operations happening at same time is highly desirable.
                    When exactly are two people using the same desktop at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      Or, you know, plug in more than one mouse because there's no shortage of USB ports.
                      I know i use 7 mice at the same time, one with each hand, one with each foot and I will leave it up to your imagination what I control the other three with.

Comment

Working...
                      X