GNOME Continues Working On New Installer, "Major Issue" With STF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NekkoDroid View Post
    Do take this with a grain of salt, as that is mostly what I've just been hearing/reading and I don't know the actual internal operations. But if it is to be believed I am not too worried.
    I hope so, but they're wasting money that could go directly to Gnome developers. Let's take a look at their financial report:

Expenses: 675.000 $.

Conferences: 283.000$
    Support and infrastructure: 105.000$
    Outreach: 96.000$
    GIMP: 30.000$
    Administrative: 121.000$
    Fundraising: 39.000$

Nearly all of the expenses went into (bolded) non development related crap! Freaking outreach got three times more than GIMP and much more than Gnome developers themselves (assuming Support and infrastructure goes to Gnome developers and infrastructure must be ignored from obvious reasons).

P.S. but maybe meetings and events are their main priorities. Writing code is the last one it seems.
    Last edited by Volta; 25 May 2024, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I hope so, but they're wasting money that could go directly to Gnome developers. Let's take a look at their financial report:

Expenses: 675.000 $.

Support and infrastructure: 105.000$
      Outreach: 96.000$
      GIMP: 30.000$
      Administrative: 121.000$
      Fundraising: 39.000$

Nearly all of the expenses went into (bolded) non development related crap! Freaking outreach got three times more than GIMP and much more than Gnome developers themselves (assuming Support and infrastructure goes to Gnome developers).

P.S. but maybe meetings and events are their main priorities. Writing code is the last one it seems.
      I think S & I is websites, forums, servers, backups, and the folks who run it all. GIMP appears to be the only actual development funded.

96K in Outreach is basically two full time jobs or up to four part-time jobs. It also covers accessibility and helping the disabled as much is it's for promoting diversity; neither of which are bad things....unless you're Beyonce recording Jolene to promote diversity. Bey, that was awful.

Diverse GNOME is an oxymoron. It's literally the rigid standard desktop environment that does its damnedest to prevent using it in a diverse and varied manner. No, you can't move that. The menu belongs there. You'll fucking learn to like it there.

OK, never mind that optimism, I just read some notes on the GNOME Outreach pages

Outreach (last edited 2017-10-15 07:49:58 by Nuritzi Sanchez)​
      Outreach/PlanningNotes (last edited 2013-11-27 18:14:09 by WilliamJonMcCann)
      Outreach/Accessibility (last edited 2013-12-03 03:29:23 by WilliamJonMcCann)​​

They ain't updated some of those pages for 6 or 11 fucking years. 11 years and not a peep...and 11 years ago was just an edit. The last actual Update listed on the Outreach Accessibility page was in 2008. Damn. Just damn.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
        You do know those are conferences for the developers (sometimes including devs of other DEs) to discuss general desktop and also more GNOME specific stuff. So this most certainly is "development related crap". Just because it isn't code doesn't mean it doesn't further development.

Comment

You do know those are conferences for the developers (sometimes including devs of other DEs) to discuss general desktop and also more GNOME specific stuff. So this most certainly is "development related crap". Just because it isn't code doesn't mean it doesn't further development.
          Video conferences are for free and achieve the same goal.

With the limited amount of money there should be a maximum of one real-life conference per year.​

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

The GNOME 2023 expense report. Page 13. They spent $100K more than the previous year on conferences,
            They spent more on conferences in the year they were unimpeded from holding conferences compared to the years when there were restrictions?

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
              Video conferences are for free and achieve the same goal.​
              They actually don't.

Humans are not robots and an increase in productivity can often be measured around conferences.

Sometimes a physical meetup also assists in layoing out the ground work for bigger projects.

Video conferences have a purpose, but you cant pretend you can abstract everything away as if people were code.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

They spent more on conferences in the year they were unimpeded from holding conferences compared to the years when there were restrictions?
                It could be that they spent a bunch of money in 2022 on equipment upgrades which left them with an excess in the budget the next year that was spent on conferences and meetups so developers could better coordinate.

It's also hard to tell because they changed the categories reported between 2021-2022 and the 2022-2023 report we're discussing.

The 22/23 report says they spent $181,237.74 in 2022 on conferences while the 21/22 report says they spent $35,250.07 in 2022. 35K to 181K isn't a rounding error. If I had to guess, they combined the staff expenses to which category the staff works at. They don't have the 400/600K staff category and other things are moving up and down by hundreds of thousands in the 22/23 reports.

No. That makes too much sense. That can't be it. They embezzled some vacations

Comment

Don't tell me that the GNOME people also managed to piss off the Sovereign Tech Fund people!

Comment

LOL.

So you think they need to spend nearly 300k in vacations where they sort of discuss code instead of having web meetings for free, where they can discuss code?

Question for you, I tell you I need to talk to you about some project we are working on, I'm in Vegas and you re in Toronto, I give you the option to either fly to me for 5 days so we can talk or you can stay at your home and we can talk.

If the "conference" is not an excuse to come to Vegas, gamble, drink, get some hookers and basically go nuts, then why would you put yourself through the hassle?

Comment

How great would it be if the Gnome project ceased to exist?

Comment

Working...
                      X