Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

A PipeWire dev! Thanks a lot!

What's the status of PipeWire integration in DEs and such? Any new usecases for PipeWire?
    Well the most recent thing was inclusion of PIpeWire Camera capture support into SDL3 - https://github.com/libsdl-org/SDL/pull/9723/

We are also hoping the PipeWire camera support patch for Google Chrome will get merged soon (already merged in Firefox)

Comment

now if only I could easily set up pipewire to group all of an applications audio streams into a single controllable node, or at the very least always remember the audio level of firefox instead of every new video blasting 100% audio.

Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post

Well the most recent thing was inclusion of PIpeWire Camera capture support into SDL3 - https://github.com/libsdl-org/SDL/pull/9723/

We are also hoping the PipeWire camera support patch for Google Chrome will get merged soon (already merged in Firefox)
      ‚ÄčThis is really nice, I use a shim to get screen sharing in discord via web working with this since I can now use gstreamer as a virtual camera

EDIT: I mean gamescope, not screensharing

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
        What does PipeWire have to do with a packaging format (Snap)?
        One of Pipewire's tasks is to efficiently and securely move audio and video in and out of containers.

Thus some level of integration with snap, flatpak, docker is needed.

Comment

I run Kodi on my media server and unfortunately I've never been able to get PipeWire to allow anything but stereo.

I've read various instructions on how I might get it to allow Dolby TrueHD and Atmos, and DTS-HD MA and DTS:X passthrough, but it's never worked. In fact I just tried it again last week but I didn't have a lot of time to mess with it so I just went back to PulseAudio.

I can't imagine it's not possible somehow, but for now it just seems too complex. I think it needs something simple to control it like the Pavucontrol GUI, as Wireplumber and the other stuff just doesn't seem ready for prime time yet. But I'll keep trying every once in awhile to see if it better integrates with other audio software. And that itself may be the problem, other software like Kodi might just not be able to deal with it correctly yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post

We keep fixing bugs and deaing with corner cases for each release. If it was some time ago I hope you will test again and if it was recent or it still fails please file a bug report.
            I plan to but I will update first.

Comment

Keep up the good work and please keep focusing on low latency and pw not getting bloated.

Comment

Does pipewire support BLE Audio yet?

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                  I run Kodi on my media server and unfortunately I've never been able to get PipeWire to allow anything but stereo.

I've read various instructions on how I might get it to allow Dolby TrueHD and Atmos, and DTS-HD MA and DTS:X passthrough, but it's never worked. In fact I just tried it again last week but I didn't have a lot of time to mess with it so I just went back to PulseAudio.

I can't imagine it's not possible somehow, but for now it just seems too complex. I think it needs something simple to control it like the Pavucontrol GUI, as Wireplumber and the other stuff just doesn't seem ready for prime time yet. But I'll keep trying every once in awhile to see if it better integrates with other audio software. And that itself may be the problem, other software like Kodi might just not be able to deal with it correctly yet.
                  You can actually still use pavucontrol with PipeWire. It feels wrong, but somehow it Just Works. Honestly it seems that PipeWire is a very impressive piece of software.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

You can actually still use pavucontrol with PipeWire. It feels wrong, but somehow it Just Works. Honestly it seems that PipeWire is a very impressive piece of software.
                    Thank you for your reply QwertyChouskie, but Pavucontrol is setup the same when I use either PulseAudio or PipeWire, and I've tried a variety of other settings as well. But Kodi detects my HDMI connection to my AVR as multi-channel Dolby/DTS capable with PulseAudio, but not PipeWire. So there's something different.

And if I launch Kodi in forced PulseAudio mode with PipeWire it looks correct in the Kodi System->Audio settings, but I can't control the audio through my AVR, and I can't pause or start/stop movies.

Nevertheless I'm sure that PipeWire will one day be able to replace PulseAudio because the developers designed it to do so. It's not like Wayland where the developers couldn't care less about it replacing X11, and intended for apps to be rewritten to support Wayland, and simply threw in XWayland to support a subset of X11 apps.

So I'm willing to wait, and have great hopes for PipeWire. I just think it needs a bit more time to mature and work out the kinks.‚Äč
                    Last edited by muncrief; 17 May 2024, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post

Why not just use Pavucontrol with PipeWire?

Comment

Working...
                      X