X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post
    Don't use GNOME, it's bad.

Avoid gtk if you can.
    GTK is fine, however, I think the community should be looking to either fork GTK for traditional desktop environments e.g MATE/Cinnamon etc OR figure out how to get the GTK team to backdown on forced removals of some menu features. I ported some apps recently from gtk3 to gtk4 and the main issue I've had is a bug in Wayfire which has been confirmed/sent upstream where the window decorations don't work on GTK4 when server side decorations are chosen.

That said I haven't tried to make a traditional Menu in my recent apps. I don't like the hamburger menu style that GNOME is pushing and I'm curious to see what happens if GIMP ever ports to GTK4. Porting images/views/buttons/grid/layout boxes etc has been straightforward and I haven't had issues going from GTK3 to GTK4. That said I want them to stop dumbing down the desktop. Gnome 2 had the best desktop UI and everything since then has been making it worse to use on a multi-monitor workstation setup.

I run 2x 30" Dell monitors at 5120x1600 with another 1280x800 screen under the left monitor. I'm trying to migrate to Wayland and MATE is slowly getting there, but there's a long way to go still. The developers need resourcing and they work damn hard at it. Wayfire/MATE need a lot of help from programmers/the community to get where we need to go to dump X11 permanently.

You'll never convince me that putting a hamburger menu next to window minimise/maximise/close buttons is good UI design.

This example from Celluloid should make everyone cringe, I worked on gnome-mplayer back in the day and there's no way the UI is better now:

Untitled.jpg
    Last edited by DMJC; 21 April 2024, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post
      You'll never convince me that putting a hamburger menu next to window minimise/maximise/close buttons is good UI design​
      It grew on me after a while. What really hammered it home though was using a few different traditional apps and having to play the guessing game of

"Where the fuck is the app settings"
      - menu -> file
      - menu -> edit
      - menu -> view
      - menu -> window

who the hell knows.

Comment

Originally posted by max0x7ba View Post
        ​The fundamental problem with GNOME is that its customers are its corporate sponsors, rather than users.
        Thats not true. I'm a user with no corporate background pinning me down...

​​​Since negative feedback from users doesn't affect GNOME profits, but implementing user requests results in extra costs, it only makes perfect economic sense for GNOME to dismiss user requests as cheaply as possible.

Thats also not true. Gnome just doesn't aim to be the same as many others. They've got a different vison and they're following it. I personally like their fundamental ideas a lot.

The dismissive totalitarian attitude and contempt for its users GNOME developers have demonstrated for over a decade now is a text-book example of how broken feedback loop and wrong incentives lead to an expensive undesirable product of poor quality.
        ​​
        Be another Win95 knockoff! No we won't! Dare you Gnome!

Integrate that half baked shit and make it working! Thats no good idea since it's half baked! Dare you Gnome

USSR collapsed because of exactly this totalitarism, broken feedback loop and wrong incentives. But CCP, North Korea and GNOME still stand.
        ​​​
        Thats another totally different story.

GNOME actively opposes and is incompatible with freedom, liberty, meritocracy and choice - everything open-source movement and GPL stand for. GNOME wrapping itself into GPL license is an epitome of hypocrisy.
        ​​​​
        FUD

​The wind is changing though and there are deservedly much better candidates for default Linux destop now. I hope GNOME developers will be able to adapt to market economy and learn how to make desirable products when change happens overnight.
        ​​​​​
        Use whatever you like but don't get fooled by the idea that everyone has to build just what you like.

​​Maxim. A proud EFF member.
        Sigh. You might have had the right basic idea but I feel it might have ended up in a strange sidequest.

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post

Don't forget XWayland 24.1 as well.
          he talked about nvidia drivers... In any case, it's good the application of explicit sync is extended where it is necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by DMJC View Post

GTK is fine, however, I think the community should be looking to either fork GTK for traditional desktop environments e.g MATE/Cinnamon etc OR figure out how to get the GTK team to backdown on forced removals of some menu features.​
            There are few forks, here one: https://github.com/cafe-desktop/ctk

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post
              Thats not true. I'm a user with no corporate background pinning me down...
              You don't understand the meaning of word "sponsor", sunshine.

Comment

I would love to use Gnome again if it doesn't need to install 3rd party extension to become usable, I remember my first time using Gnome I need to open Firefox to install the extension lol
                Last edited by Blademasterz; 25 April 2024, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X