X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The URL for the article is wrong, it should be March-2024 not March-2023

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

Servo had its chance and missed at its peak. If it were possible to make servo usable, we would already use it on Firefox
      It's pretty obvious why it missed its peak. It was an unusable mess that was hyped up either by dumb media or (hopefully not) the Servo devs shamelessly lying their assess off.

This stupid thing didn't support TABLES until 2024? it didn't support web fonts until 2024? Those things should've been supported in the very first alpha preview release v0.0.1-build-00001-preview. Unacceptable. And why is the referenced blog post even mentioning the align -- something that has been deprecated a decade ago and nobody should ever use anywhere.

Servo seems to have been started up by some graphics guy who knew how to make a fast renderer but didn't have any fucking clue about web standards, so the core got so badly messed up they couldn't fix it until now.
      Last edited by curfew; 31 March 2024, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
        It's pretty obvious why it missed its peak. It was an unusable mess that was hyped up either by dumb media or (hopefully not) the Servo devs shamelessly lying their assess off.

This stupid thing didn't support TABLES until 2024? it didn't support web fonts until 2024? Those things should've been supported in the very first alpha preview release v0.0.1-build-00001-preview. Unacceptable. And why is the referenced blog post even mentioning the align -- something that has been deprecated a decade ago and nobody should ever use anywhere.

Servo seems to have been started up by some graphics guy who knew how to make a fast renderer but didn't have any fucking clue about web standards, so the core got so badly messed up they couldn't fix it until now.
        you have absolutely zero idea what you are talking about Not a surprise to see a phoronix user talk out of their ass I suppose. Tables have been supported in servo for a very long time, This is about tables support for the new layout method. WOFF has also been supported for a long time. This is explicitly about WOFF2, which didn't hit wide spread necessity until after servo development died off. There are still websites that use div align and center.

This comment seems to have been started up by some phoronix user who knows nothing about the history of servo and is pulling crap out of a hat and hoping it sticks when thrown against the wall.

Comment

- WebRender, Stylo, SpiderMoney, and GStreamer have all been upgraded.
          Must be SpiderMonkey instead.

Comment

Originally posted by hkupty View Post

I don't see it this way. I believe mozilla made a pretty shitty move and screwed up the initiative. They built the hype than silently pretended nothing ever happened, defunded the project and let go of the team. And I think everyone agrees that mozilla's management isn't the best, so we can't just claim that was a reasonable technical decision given there's no trust.

Time will tell.
            Exactly. Just because Mozilla made a shitty move in the past, doesn't mean all chances are lost. In fact, they are not lost in the slightest since it receives a lot of funding and sees a lot of development. There have been plenty of products in the past that failed for whatever reason and are now highly successful.

Comment

Originally posted by hkupty View Post
              Fast forwarding 3 years in the future, I hope by then servo is taking over the embedded apps space. I absolutely hate electron-based UIs for absurd amount of resources they use (I'm looking at you, slack).
              Electron shit apps are not shit because they use blink rather than servo or else.. they are shit because they are built on top of ultra high level web based technology. Using servo would result in the same issues basically.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                Electron shit apps are not shit because they use blink rather than servo or else.. they are shit because they are built on top of ultra high level web based technology. Using servo would result in the same issues basically.
                this isn't wholly true. One needs to look at what is shit about them. When it comes to file size, servo isn't that large when you strip out gstreamer (which you can do). If it's ram usage then you need to rely on servo cutting back ram since it's pretty expensive right now (though iirc they recently had a big improvement with some allocator stuff? I think it's off by default).

I do think that servo isn't some magic bullet. But at the same time I think servo has the potential to be a notable improvement over current systems

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I do think that servo isn't some magic bullet. But at the same time I think servo has the potential to be a notable improvement over current systems
                  That's the way I see it as well. Being a closer-to-metal solution (when compared to electron that runs on top of node) it has a lot of potential.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

Servo had its chance and missed at its peak. If it were possible to make servo usable, we would already use it on Firefox
                    I think you misspelled "annoying", as that seems to be what's required for implementing something in firefox.

Comment

In 2005, we had good browser engine diversity, with Trident, Gecko, Presto, Webkit, and KHTML.

Hopefully, in 2035, we'll have a similar diversity, with Blink, Webkit, Gecko, Servo and Ladybird

Comment

Working...
                      X