SDDM 0.21 Display Manager Released With Better Wayland Support, Qt6 Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
    They aren't writing their own whole Wayland compositor, they are using Weston
    https://github.com/sddm/sddm/commit/...f151aa83aa51d5
    You mean they're using the Wayland Common Display Server

Comment

When I see "Wayland" in the title, I come looking for the birdie comment, you don't disappoint.

Originally posted by avis View Post
      You wouldn't believe it but in order for the display (actually "graphical login") manager to support Wayland it needs to implement ... a Wayland server. That sounds almost comical in its brutal complexity and senselessness. Please ignore this comment. I'm rending the air. No one cares.
      You really think they implement their own Wayland server in 44 lines of C++? Tell us about the similarly named XorgDisplayServer.cpp file too, think they implement their own Xserver as well?

If you actually used SDDM, you'd know they use Weston by default if you don't specify the Wayland compositor you use..

Comment

Tbh, I don't understand why a DM would be tied to a particular display server to begin with. Why can't it be a standalone piece of software that talks to the video driver, displays what it needs and then hands over to whatever DE it needs to?

Comment

Its uses Weston? I thought QT had a simple Wayland server for single fullscreen app embedded systems? Weston is fine too.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Tbh, I don't understand why a DM would be tied to a particular display server to begin with. Why can't it be a standalone piece of software that talks to the video driver, displays what it needs and then hands over to whatever DE it needs to?
            It is not, apparently no one here has used SDDM on wayland.
            By default it uses Weston as the wayland display server, it can also be set to use Kwin or potentially other display servers (I've only tested those two).
            See the setting "CompositorCommand"

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
              You wouldn't believe it but in order for the display (actually "graphical login") manager to support Wayland it needs to implement ... a Wayland server. That sounds almost comical in its brutal complexity and senselessness. Please ignore this comment. I'm rending the air. No one cares.
              They are using the Weston kiosk mode, meaning they just use a glorified framebuffer!! Nothing could be simpler! With Xorg they were forced to start the entire Xserver, an obvious bloating situation.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                This is what Wayland does that Xorg doesn't. The DM/DE implements its own Wayland compositor, which just talks with the DRM and Mesa. As for DMs they implement the minimum necessary code to display their things. Weston kiosk in this case!

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

You mean they're using the Wayland Common Display Server
                  If someone is using SDDM with Plasma (likely the vast majority of people using SDDM) then they're far better off using kwin as the compositor. I've tested both for Solus and SDDM w/ kwin is far more mature and "feels" like an extension of Plasma itself. SDDM w/ Weston in comparison feels much worse largely due to the immaturity of Weston (as the "reference" compositor it doesn't see many actual users). There's a config file for how to enable that here: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma...a-wayland.conf

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                  When SDDM loads Qt libraries at startup, will Plasma and other Qt DE:s be able to use those libraries or will they load them again? It seems they should already be in memory so no loading time...
                  ​I'm not sure what you mean. All of the libraries loaded for SDDM will exist in the kernel page cache and given that the greeter is started first and then transitions directly into the DE it's very unlikely that they would have been evicted from the page cache before they are needed by the DE.

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post

This is what Wayland does that Xorg doesn't. The DM/DE implements its own Wayland compositor, which just talks with the DRM and Mesa. As for DMs they implement the minimum necessary code to display their things. Weston kiosk in this case!
                    Perhaps I was not clear enough. Why does a DM need to implement a Wayland-anything in order to work? Why can't it handle painting stuff on its own? You know, the good, old, put a picture in the background, two input fields and some buttons on top and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mangogeddon View Post

​I'm not sure what you mean. All of the libraries loaded for SDDM will exist in the kernel page cache and given that the greeter is started first and then transitions directly into the DE it's very unlikely that they would have been evicted from the page cache before they are needed by the DE.
                      that's what i asked, and what you said is what i expected but was not sure. Because i thought maybe it would matter if you load something in diwsplay manager stage compared to DE stage. But yes, that was dumb thing to be unsure of. Because obviously the kernel does not care.
                      Last edited by varikonniemi; 26 February 2024, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X