Servo Browser Engine Continues On Its Path To Be Embed-Friendly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kver View Post
    Basically impossible to go "full servo" at this point.
    for firefox themselves maybe, but servo is already pretty much this minus a "full desktop gui". it shares spidermonkey, it shares webrender, wgpu, etc.

Mozilla decided to integrate the renderer with the chrome in order to expedite development, which is why Gecko embeds were killed eons ago.
    Im not sure I understand this statement. geckoview is still very much a thing (even if it sucks) am I interpreting wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Do you have a comparison? What about both spurce code repositories? Is the code sharing real or you supposed it?
      As mentioned in both the Oxidation wiki page and the various Mozilla Blog posts about Firefox Quantum, Firefox's Quantum CSS is Stylo from Servo and WebRender is also from Servo. There are also various Rust crates that are now shared dependencies between Gecko and Servo, like encoding_rs which, judging by the various merged issues on Servo's GitHub, was written for Firefox and then Servo was swapped over to it.

As the SpiderMonkey website says, "SpiderMonkey is Mozilla’s JavaScript and WebAssembly Engine, used in Firefox, Servo and various other projects." and, though I don't have a link handy, I remember reading about how Servo is/was relying on SpiderMonkey for its DOM implementation since the W3C DOM really was designed around the assumption of a garbage collector.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

As the SpiderMonkey website says, "SpiderMonkey is Mozilla’s JavaScript and WebAssembly Engine, used in Firefox, Servo and various other projects." and, though I don't have a link handy, I remember reading about how Servo is/was relying on SpiderMonkey for its DOM implementation since the W3C DOM really was designed around the assumption of a garbage collector.
        I do have that link handy. Here you go: https://research.mozilla.org/2014/08...age-collector/

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

for firefox themselves maybe, but servo is already pretty much this minus a "full desktop gui". it shares spidermonkey, it shares webrender, wgpu, etc.

Im not sure I understand this statement. geckoview is still very much a thing (even if it sucks) am I interpreting wrong?
          As are all the best answers: "It's complicated".

Geckoview specifically targets Android, and doesn't play nice with any sort of desktop use-case. Theoretically it gets Mozilla "back on the road" to having a browser-embedable offering, and an employee expressed interest in this, but it's one of those things where what can and what will happen are probably different things. :/

If you ever wondered why all Gecko-based browsers look like Firefox, and Blink/Webkit browsers look radically different, it's because of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Kver View Post

As are all the best answers: "It's complicated".

Geckoview specifically targets Android, and doesn't play nice with any sort of desktop use-case. Theoretically it gets Mozilla "back on the road" to having a browser-embedable offering, and an employee expressed interest in this, but it's one of those things where what can and what will happen are probably different things. :/

If you ever wondered why all Gecko-based browsers look like Firefox, and Blink/Webkit browsers look radically different, it's because of this.
            well servo IMO has more potential for anything embedable then gecko based does IMO. especially with how... easy and modular? (not sure if this is the right terminology) servo is already and might be in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

I do have that link handy. Here you go: https://research.mozilla.org/2014/08...age-collector/
              Thanks.

Comment

i find your article interesting remembering us that there is an engine, that is still underdevelopment in the linux fondation. i'm not a big fan of what firefox became and the fact that gecko is slower than blink

Servo could evolve into something different and better (after all webkit and chromium were forks from khtml) but it forks supported by big compagnies
                Servo could follow the same path (forked by a big compagnie). Don't be mad at me , i don"t think servo under the linux fondation alone could rival chromiums. By a servo forked engine under a big compagnie could. (US or chinese). I tend to think chinese, because they have no other browser engines to protect.
                Servo or not, fork or not, i'm sur the next big browser engine will come from a chineese compagny. They don't fear the GAFAM

it would also be nice of servo proposed a great and new engine under the linux fondation.
                In contrast to us and china's open source projects, european one (who are often high quality and highly skilled people) lakes money
                i remember that chrome was developed from webkit under the supervision of a Scandinavian developer
                By the way, why not bring presto too.
                I miss old times with different browsers. That was fun even though more problematic sometimes. And we should all thanj opera and firefox from saving us from IE.
                Firefox was clerly my favorite at that time and sometines opera. I did appreciate webkit too under safari for windows.
                Than opera became a chinese chromium, firefox took all the bad decisions and up to know, noone understand what vivaldi wants to tell us
                So we have mainly two chromum based browsers : Brave and chrome, whose both business model are far from perfect by the way. Brave is doing nice things but it has a long way.
                using firefox now gives me the impression i'm using the net in 2010

Comment

Working...
                X