No announcement yet.

Firefox Is Going To Try And Ship With Wayland Enabled By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish Firefox would come with Wayland by default already in version 120.
    And of course I wish Firefox would use by default the default file picker in KDE, while is running on KDE Plasma!

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

That's Wayland - so many "big steps". Only took 15 years to work well with GNU/Linux desktop's default browser. Amazing rate of progress.

I can only hope to live long enough to see it work with my favorite window manager. One can dream.
      See the difference is that things are done correctly in Linux land, to not have breaking changes constantly like windows does. X stood for 30 years, wayland will stand the next 30.

Windows 9x, windows nt, windows 2k/xp, windows 7/8, windows 10/11 all had breaking changes and desktop compositing still is total crap.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post

See the difference is that things are done correctly in Linux land, to not have breaking changes constantly like windows does. X stood for 30 years, wayland will stand the next 30.

Windows 9x, windows nt, windows 2k/xp, windows 7/8, windows 10/11 all had breaking changes and desktop compositing still is total crap.
        Could you elaborate on compositing in windows? I frequent a number of Windows related communities and I've never heard anything like that.

Comment

Yes. 2024 should be a good year for linux operating systems based on Wayland... It's the completion of the second phase started assuring the Wayland integration and software compatibility by XWayland in the first phase, waiting for the pure Vulkan/Wayland graphical stack implementation when the third phase will be completed assuring optimization and hardware acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Let me guess. You used the tarball and didn't add it to your launcher menu? If so, that's not Mozilla's fault and there's nothing they can do to fix it.
            No, I'm talking about the title bar icon. I understand if you are using nightly, you have to create your own launcher entry. In any event, this has been an issue with applications for quite some time and whenever I find one, I communicate with upstream and ask them to fix it. I understand that the W icon initially was intended as an easy way to know that the application was running in wayland, but we're way past that now. Here is a discussion on Fedora that talks about it more:
            Here is an excellent workaround for those using KDE Plasma. It also works on GTK apps. Why a workaround is required and each user has to fix each application themselves is anyone’s guess - but the workaround is fairly simple. I found it here: Fix Generic Wayland Icon Open the app you are wanting to fix (Vivaldi, Firefox Nightly, HandBrake, etc.) Add new kwin rule with Alt+F3 → More Actions → Configure Special Application Settings → Add Property → Desktop file name → Enter the desktop fil...

Comment

THe Picture in Picture window STILL doesn't stay on top of other windows (unless you install an extension) in Gnome. Get it together Mozilla, this has been a bug for years...

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post

While Windows display server/compositor changes a lot more often than on Linux, it doesn't break existing workflows. It still has the same features, if not more.

Unlike Crapland which won't even allow apps to know their absolute window positions or reposition themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                  While Windows display server/compositor changes a lot more often than on Linux, it doesn't break existing workflows. It still has the same features, if not more.

Unlike Crapland which won't even allow apps to know their absolute window positions or reposition themselves.
                  May be the xorg is such a trash compared to windows system so improving/replacing it cannot be done easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post

What are you even talking about? Every breaking change needed new compositor. New driver model etc.

Backwards compatibility? Yes. Exactly like we have xwayland. Only thing windows did is they hid it in the kernel.

What difference does it make for an end-user if it is in userland or kernel? At least under Linux we know the kernel is not bloated with things belonging in userspace...

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                      Could you elaborate on compositing in windows? I frequent a number of Windows related communities and I've never heard anything like that.
                      Just google "Windows 11 MPO" and you'll see some of the latest issues across als GPU vendors.

Comment

Working...
                      X